Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
I'm surprised by ss2k5 calling this a failure but I think we need to wait.

Our rebuild will not work regardless if the only contributors in 2018 were from trades and not our own development.

Best news of day is bucket saying there is a big change internally. They are finally serious about something. They need to be good at it. Or else we will just be where we are now, getting lucky on 4 guys and garbage all around it.

Hahn mentioned in both press conferences this would be "an extended process."

We've already seen things change in terms of our draft and development, and now we're seeing an absolute liquidation of mlb talent to infuse the farm system with the kind of talent to compete with anyone.

I have absolutely no idea what there is to be upset about. This is not the breakup of the '98 Bulls. This is breaking up "mediocrity" for the promise and hope of sustained success.

I respect ss2k, but as he has often said to others who get frustrated and threaten to quit following the team, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:03 PM)
Hahn mentioned in both press conferences this would be "an extended process."

We've already seen things change in terms of our draft and development, and now we're seeing an absolute liquidation of mlb talent to infuse the farm system with the kind of talent to compete with anyone.

I have absolutely no idea what there is to be upset about. This is not the breakup of the '98 Bulls. This is breaking up "mediocrity" for the promise and hope of sustained success.

I respect ss2k, but as he has often said to others who get frustrated and threaten to quit following the team, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

It isn't the break up. It is not learning why you are forced to sell in the first place. I can't believe they didn't learn this lesson.

This is the most excitement I've felt for this team in quite a while. How on earth could you not love the players the Sox got the last few days?!? I get the Sale love...but didn't win with him. I get the Eaton love...loved his grit...but good Lord...that's a great return!

Moncada

Kopech

Basabe

Diaz

Giolito

Lopez

Dunning

If Hahn somehow squeezes Bregman from the Stros I'll pledge my eternal love!!! :wub:

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
Eh. I think one thing we have learned this winter is that on the trade market, prospects are worth less than ever before. It seems like it takes more and more of them to get deals done. These guys have to turn into actual star major leaguers before they will have real value.

What?

Oh no you did not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
It isn't the break up. It is not learning why you are forced to sell in the first place. I can't believe they didn't learn this lesson.

Cmon man, you just keep going further off the rails. You're on tilt.

Take a break and save yourself from future ridicule.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:06 PM)
This is the most excitement I've felt for this team in quite a while. How on earth could you not love the players the Sox got the last few days?!? I get the Sale love...but didn't win with him. I get the Eaton love...loved his grit...but good Lord...that's a great return!

Moncada

Kopech

Basabe

Diaz

Giolito

Lopez

Dunning

If Hahn somehow squeezes Bregman from the Stros I'll pledge my eternal love!!! :wub:

Don't see the sox getting bregman, but what a start to the rebuild.

A few more moves and you're talking about a totally different franchise

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
Pick a trade. What would Aroldis Chapman drawn 10 years ago in a deadline deal?

What would Andrew Miller have brought back?

Neither brings back nearly as many prospects back then.

A pitcher of Chris Sale's caliber, at his age, with his contract situation has basically almost never been traded before.

I both agree and disagree with SS2k5.

Prospects are definitely more valuable now and harder to get. The big thing is that the Shelby Miller trade and the explosion in contracts have made it so that bargain players and elite are commanding more.

So like, prospects were once worth $.50 and elite players worth $2. Now prospects are worth $1 and elite players are worth $3 (this is all hilariously inexact math). The Sox are just the most top heavy team ever so they can cash in.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:06 PM)
Was doing a bit of research on these guys and Lopez's stuff is incredible. Having not followed the Nats this year, I didn't see either of these performances (or highlights). This kid has incredible stuff:

I literally couldn't wipe the grin off my face while watching these videos.

Not a fan of that straight up follow through reminds me of rodon from the other side. I worry about his future command.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:12 PM)
Pick a trade. What would Aroldis Chapman drawn 10 years ago in a deadline deal?

What would Andrew Miller have brought back?

Neither brings back nearly as many prospects back then.

The value of a closer is higher than ever thanks to the Royals winning in 2015. That's not evidence that prospects are worth less now.

The fact is, you can't get a number of teams' prospects anymore. There are so many off limits players in every org now.

Snap out of it, dude.

Won't the two principals in this trade be in the Sox rotation next season? As well as Moncada? So what are we building for? Now or later? We gonna let these 3 guys get beat up in the bigs a while or ? Just asking not flaming.

This trade might be a better one than the Sale disaster. I was never a HUGE Eaton guy. I know, he's good and all. Just didn't fall in love with him as I did Sale.

Anyhow, please answer my question. Sounds like Moncada will be up in eight weeks forever more. Sounds like these two pitchers are ready for the bigs as well.

I'd give the Sale trade a C-minus and this one an A-minus, but I am not a prospects guy so I'm just blowing smoke.

Good story on this site about the 3 prospects the Sox got. Good reading.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:16 PM)
The value of a closer is higher than ever thanks to the Royals winning in 2015. That's not evidence that prospects are worth less now.

The fact is, you can't get a number of teams' prospects anymore. There are so many off limits players in every org now.

Snap out of it, dude.

The #1 prospect has never been traded before. In the deal for Chris Sale, he was part of a 4 player trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
The #1 prospect has never been traded before. In the deal for Chris Sale, he was part of a 4 player trade.

The #1 prospect in an organization that has a championship caliber major league team which traded for a staff Ace.

Your nonsense is off the rails.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:18 PM)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:15 PM)
A pitcher of Chris Sale's caliber, at his age, with his contract situation has basically almost never been traded before.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)

Johan Santana trade to the Mets is the only one that comes to mind, but they had to sign him to a market deal still. That was a pretty good haul they got at the time.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)
Not a fan of that straight up follow through reminds me of rodon from the other side. I worry about his future command.

That's his problem...command. The stuff is there, let's hope Coop can fix him.

Read a postseason interview with Giolito and he said the same thing about himself...he was loosing command of his offspeed stuff thanks to mechanical issues. He became way too reliant on his fastball (like 70% of pitches in ML) and, due to lack of movement on that fb, he was getting hammered. Again, Sox are the right organization for these guys to figure these things out.