**2017 Films Thread** (Beware of spoilers)

caulfield12

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 07:01 AM)
I've seen 3 movies with moviepass since I received it close to 3 weeks ago. It is very easy to use. I saw Happy Death Day the day it came out on the 13th (friend wanted to see it and I wanted to test it), the next day after that I saw IT again (wanted to test the 24 hour rule), and then for the hell of it, I saw Jigsaw last night which was bad (not that I expected much) but it was a very small audience.

I figure I will get a lot of use out of it with Thor, Justice League, Star Wars, Murder on the Orient Express coming out and even fringe movies I wouldn't pay to see it but likely will like Bad Moms 2 and Daddy's Home 2 (first one I thought was funny of each). It also helps that it is going to be colder out. Me and my buddy are going to start going one weeknight a week.

So see Geostorm, it's looks to be what Movie Pass was invented for

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just used my MoviePass for first time.

Even cooler, I have a loyalty card for theatre that they scanned so I’m getting points towards free stuff without spending more that $10 a month.

I wouldn’t waste a swipe of my MoviePass on Geostorm. Ha

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
Just used my MoviePass for first time.

Even cooler, I have a loyalty card for theatre that they scanned so I’m getting points towards free stuff without spending more that $10 a month.

I wouldn’t waste a swipe of my MoviePass on Geostorm. Ha

I think AMC and Marcus both have loyalty card systems at their theaters.

And that is exactly how I felt leaving Jigsaw last night lol I've seen the first 7 (only really liked the first 3) so I felt like I should see this one.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
So see Geostorm, it's looks to be what Movie Pass was invented for

Eventually a bunch of us geologists will find a Saturday night when we're not doing anything, buy a whole lot of beer, and this will happen.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
No, that’s what SyFy was invented for lol

This is exactly what I thought the first time I had seen the trailer. I looked at my wife and said " Coming soon, to a syfy channel near you". As far as Butler goes, gimme RocknRolla, Reign of Fire and The Bounty Hunter. His next movie should be titled, Gerard Has Fallen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 28, 2017 -> 04:36 PM)
I used to go to 1 movie a month on average, but have been to 12 since I activated my moviepass a month and a half ago. I don't know if that is good or bad. I have seen 2 movies I really liked, 2 that I thought were at last entertain, and 8 that I considered horrible.

What are they, if you don’t mind me asking

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 28, 2017 -> 10:45 PM)
Big Sick and It were good.

American Made and Happy Death Day entertaining

Suburbicon, Jigsaw, Geostorm, Kingsmen, Lucky Logan, Snowman, Brads Status, Foreigner, not so good IMO.

Getting your money's worth haha me and my buddy are going to start going once a week on like Wednesdays. Marcus does the $5 Tuesdays and Thursdays there are usually movies released so figured it would be the least busy day to go.

Also agree with you on these movies.

Edited by soxfan2014

I watched Girls Trip this morning for the third time and I think its the best original comedy since the Hangover or Bridesmaids. I really hope Tiffany Hadish gets some Oscar love, it looks like she's gearing up for a campaign.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
I watched Girls Trip this morning for the third time and I think its the best original comedy since the Hangover or Bridesmaids. I really hope Tiffany Hadish gets some Oscar love, it looks like she's gearing up for a campaign.

Hopefully they don't make sequels which ruin the originality of the first one....looking at your Hangover 2 and 3.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Justice Leauge last night.

If you didn't like the previous DCEU films, you'll enjoy JL.

It's a Snyder film through and through but you can feel Whedon in some scenes, there's a scene in the Batcave that's very Whedonesque. You can tell what scenes were done during the reshoots. There's a sequence that's been shown in the trailers of Bruce Wayne recruiting Aquaman. It was shot on location and looks beautiful but as the sequence is winding down and Bruce and Arthur are talking, there are a few shots of Aquaman where he's clearly standing against a CGI'd backdrop. I would also say that most of the scenes with Superman were reshoot because you can tell that they digitally erased Henry Cavill's beard, which was really obvious. A producer said that 15%/20% of the movie was reshot.

I hated the editing, it really took me out of the beginning of the movie as it was really clunky to start off and it seemed like the first act of the movie could've been arranged better in terms of the order of the scenes to better achieve more flow and rhythm. I read in an article from the WSJ that the CEO of WB mandated that the film be less than 2 hours, watching the film I am willing to bet that he made that demand late in the game because the editing was that clunky. I had problems with the CGI too.

I also had big problems with the score because the movie uses the Superman theme by John Williams and Danny Elfman's Batman theme. It just yells laziness to me and it spits in the face of continuity as you're bringing in music from previous incarnations of the characters. This Batman and Superman already had their own themes and motifs, why not use them? That's a conversation for another time.

I can't really get into what I liked without spoiling anything but...

The movie was very well paced and moved very quickly. It felt like I was watching a cartoon, giddy from start to finish. There are some cool visual sets ups as well. The best part of the movie was by far the cast, they make you forgive all the film's flaws. Each character had a moment to shine but the Flash was the standout. He was hilarious and brought a lot of energy to the table. Aquaman was very cool and had the funniest scene in the film. I'm very excited for his solo flick. It's been the quietest production of all the DCEU flicks so far and I know that people have seen footage from the film. I was surprised at how standalone the movie was and the two after credit scenes are fantastic, especially the last one.

Overall, I liked and enjoyed the movie and was extremely entertained by it but seems like it was made to appease people rather than be a great movie if that makes sense. And I realize that a lot of my issues with could've been solved if Snyder was able to finish the film himself but I respect him for leaving it behind to be with his family. What happened to him was terrible. It's hard to jump into someone else's project and finish it for them, I can only imagine that with the circumstances behind Snyder's departure, Joss Whedon faced an impossible task but he managed to stick the landing for Snyder. I wonder if Whedon felt regulated to being a yes man because he doesn't carry the weight at WB that Snyder does.

I think the film highlights WB's main flaw with these movies, the suits are too involved and very reactionary. After seeing it, I think that they should've doubled down on whatever Snyder's original version of the film was and put all their strength and efforts into making that great. It felt like there was a better movie somewhere than what we got.

Fellow MoviePass-ers, for a limited time, you can switch to $6.99 a month, but you have to commit to a year, so plus processing, it is like $90 for the year. One time payment. Like getting 3 months free.

I just did it.