Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
You are so dead on.

I welcome Braves talk. I get to research their farm system.

These Q threads have made me more knowledgeable overall. The only positive from all this teasing is researching these players and being a better baseball fan for it.

We have sifted through the Astros / Yankees / Red Sox / Nationals / Braves / Pirates / Mets / Rangers / Cubs / Dodgers / Blue Jays farms in discussing trades this offseason. Am I leaving any out haha?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OklahomaBrave @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 08:45 PM)
Is that based on a personal dislike of him? He seems to compare favorably too 100 listwise to other #2 pieces mentioned? To be fair my knowledge of the Pirates and Astros org is less than my knowledge of the Braves system but I'd think he would be a better second piece than Newman, but a worse second piece than Tucker.

I followed Newcomb pretty closely up to the draft, he has great stuff, but little command or control. Long term he is probably a power lefty in the pen unless he gets his mechanics inline. If he puts it all together he is a #2 or 3, but that seems less likely the more time that goes on.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
I followed Newcomb pretty closely up to the draft, he has great stuff, but little command or control. Long term he is probably a power lefty in the pen unless he gets his mechanics inline. If he puts it all together he is a #2 or 3, but that seems less likely the more time that goes on.

Newcomb has a good arm, but walks have continued to plague him. I certainly would be willing to take a shot on him though.

Worst case I see him being a useful bullpen arm

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 08:45 PM)
Yea I agree. The national prospect people either havent caught up on Acuna or have caught up on Acuna and just haven't communicated it yet. Acuna + Albies is in the neighborhood of Meadows + Bell value-wise right now.

I was brainstorming earlier and came up with Acuna, Riley, Pache and Foltynewicz/Wentz/Toussaint (really impossible to know which of the top 8 or 9 Atlanta pitchers the Sox really like). How does that sound to you, the Braves fan?

Thats just not true. Acuna and Albies may have just as much upside, but they still have a lot of growth to even be everyday players. Meadows and Bell are ML ready talents that could start on opening day this season. You have to discount the ceiling of Acuna, Albies, and especially Maitan on their distance from the majors and the still significant chance that they could bust. You can certainly build a deal around those players, but you need to get quantity back to help mitigate the risk of taking lower level players.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Thats just not true. Acuna and Albies may have just as much upside, but they still have a lot of growth to even be everyday players. Meadows and Bell are ML ready talents that could start on opening day this season. You have to discount the ceiling of Acuna, Albies, and especially Maitan on their distance from the majors and the still significant chance that they could bust. You can certainly build a deal around those players, but you need to get quantity back to help mitigate the risk of taking lower level players.

I get that Acuna has some helium, but he has a long way to go to prove he is legit.

Meadows and Bell are knocking on the mlb door right now

Albies is incredibly young to make it all the way to AAA, but he did struggle during his 56 games at that level this season putting up only a .659 OPS. I feel like he will adjust and improve, and he has a really good glove, but the complete lack of power does pose some concern. I really do believe in him as a prospect, and feel he is the type of player that can help a MLB club win.

I'd put Albies ceiling as an Omar Vizquel type of player, which is extremely valuable. His floor is as a glove first utility player who can handle any infield position well, pinch run, but the bat never develops beyond slap hitting.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
I get that Acuna has some helium, but he has a long way to go to prove he is legit.

Meadows and Bell are knocking on the mlb door right now

Albies is incredibly young to make it all the way to AAA, but he did struggle during his 56 games at that level this season putting up only a .659 OPS. I feel like he will adjust and improve, and he has a really good glove, but the complete lack of power does pose some concern. I really do believe in him as a prospect, and feel he is the type of player that can help a MLB club win.

I'd put Albies ceiling as an Omar Vizquel type of player, which is extremely valuable. His floor is as a glove first utility player who can handle any infield position well, pinch run, but the bat never develops beyond slap hitting.

From an offensive standpoint, my first thought of his offensive ceiling comp is Jose Reyes. Great bat-to-ball skills, great speed, very good OBP. Reyes maxed out at 19 HR's in 2006 which is out of the question for Albies. But with the way the balls were flying last year, it's not out of the questions to suggest 10-12 hr pop from him (see Trea Turner last year). If he is 3/4 of prime Jose Reyes, I would be very happy with that.

Yeah I think it's a bit early to project absolutely zero power for Albies despite a healthy minor league track record. Dude made it to AAA as a 19 year old and held his own. Adam Eaton had 0 home runs as a freshman at Miami of Ohio (as a 19 year old) haha.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
I think something like: SS Ozzie Albies, LHP Sean Newcomb, LHP Luiz Gohara, and 3B Austin Riley for Quintana would be a really good deal for the Sox.

Gotta get more hitting than that. Substitute Newcomb or Gohara with Maitan and I'd consider it, but even then, Atlanta isn't my first choice.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
From an offensive standpoint, my first thought of his offensive ceiling comp is Jose Reyes. Great bat-to-ball skills, great speed, very good OBP. Reyes maxed out at 19 HR's in 2006 which is out of the question for Albies. But with the way the balls were flying last year, it's not out of the questions to suggest 10-12 hr pop from him (see Trea Turner last year). If he is 3/4 of prime Jose Reyes, I would be very happy with that.

Reyes is an interesting upside comparison, although Reyes is 6' , 195 lbs vs. Albies 5'9", 160 lbs. Reyes is/was significantly stronger in terms of line drive/pop and I think will be a better offensive player.

I think Albies could potentially be a better defensive player than Reyes though.

The upside is certainly their with him, and Albies is a player Sox fans would absolutely love to have in our system.

Not a massive issue, but Albies profiles best in the middle infield, so either Anderson or Moncada would likely have to change positions. Atlanta likely wants to keep him to pair up with Swanson up the middle

QUOTE (Username @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
Yeah I think it's a bit early to project absolutely zero power for Albies despite a healthy minor league track record. Dude made it to AAA as a 19 year old and held his own. Adam Eaton had 0 home runs as a freshman at Miami of Ohio (as a 19 year old) haha.

Eh, scouting grades currently have him with a 30 future power grade, which is well below average. Not saying he can never develop more, but don't expect him to regularly top 5-10 home runs per season

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
Would hate to move Moncada to third. He is pretty vocal about strongly preferring second base. Whatever works for the team I am sure he would be OK with though.

I would love to get an offensive monster type production out of second base as long as he can be at least average defensively. You move him to 3rd or center it drops his offensive value down a notch in my book.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
Good to see teams coming back in.

So.. is Arizona looking to get another starter? We have a pretty good one to trade and I know they have the balls.

Arizona has a bottom 4 system.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
I would love to get an offensive monster type production out of second base as long as he can be at least average defensively. You move him to 3rd or center, it drops his offensive value down a notch in my book.

While I agree, his bat may be good enough to play anywhere though.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
I don't understand why his offensive value drops down in CF.

I don't get it either man. Unless there's a plan to trade Moncada, his offensive value in relation to his position is irrelevant since he's staying with the Sox long term. Where he plays is not as important as how well he plays the position.