Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

No, this has been their plan all along. They have been amassing prospects to fill their ML roster and then trade to improve it so that they can be competitive once their new stadium opens this spring. They are not really that far away from competing in that division if Dansby performs as expected. A rotation of Teheran, Q, Folty, Garcia, Colon/Dickey will keep them hanging around this year, but they will need to upgrade 2B/3B sometime to really be contenders.

Ronald Acuna, Sean Newcomb, Austin Riley and Cristian Pache. The pitcher can be messed around with too, Foltynewicz, Toussaint or Wentz could be subbed in for Newcomb and I wouldn't raise much of a fuss. I'd include Frazier to facilitate that deal, possibly trying to add a Victor Diaz-like flier on in the process.

That's a lot for Atlanta to give up but they keep Allard, they keep Albies and they keep Maitan. Meanwhie the Sox invest in three guys that all could realistically be amongst the top 25 overall prospects next year. No sure bets, but more talent than anything the Pirates could offer.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Ronald Acuna, Sean Newcomb, Austin Riley and Cristian Pache. The pitcher can be messed around with too, Foltynewicz, Toussaint or Wentz could be subbed in for Newcomb and I wouldn't raise much of a fuss. I'd include Frazier to facilitate that deal, possibly trying to add a Victor Diaz-like flier on in the process.

That's a lot for Atlanta to give up but they keep Allard, they keep Albies and they keep Maitan. Meanwhie the Sox invest in three guys that all could realistically be amongst the top 25 overall prospects next year. No sure bets, but more talent than anything the Pirates could offer.

That's not good. Yuck

Not that I think the Sox should accept such a deal, but what would the Pirates have to offer, if they were allowed to take both their number 1 and 2 prospects

off the table? Without either Glasnow or Meadows, wouldn't the starting point have to be Bell, Keller, Newman? I would guess that most of us would at least want another one, or two players. I don't think that Pittsburg has 4 or 5 good enough prospects, without either Meadows or Glasnow. What is even more frustrating is that it appears that Huntington wouldn't even go that far.

Yeah that is terrible offer from the Braves side.

There's alot of risk in that trade considering the ages/experience which really could be said for any trade for prospects. But none of those position prospects have played past A ball yet.

But I have warmed up to a Albies/Acuna/+/+ deal after digging into them a little more. Seems like it could rival any package the Pirates or Astros currently are putting forth. Albies in particular seems like the Braves are willing to deal considering they have Swanson, Maitan and Demeritte in their system.

I would be furious if the White Soc accepted that offer

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-21-pros...sburgh-pirates/

Pittsburgh Pirates TOP 21 prospects on Fangraphs

Looking at that list makes me feel even more than we might not be a good fit in trading. There top 20 is heavy on the pitching, if they trade us the positional players that we need and are asking for they will not have much left themselves. The Pirate life blood is living off of those guys. I really dont anticipate dealing with them.

They do such a good job.

MLB Pipeline is a nice reference but it has every player of the white sox in the top 30 as a 45, that's just too samey. Fangraphs does a better job of tiering.

I would be furious if the White Soc accepted that offer

Just look into those names a little bit and you'll begin to see what I'm talking about. Acuna in particular is deserving of a lot more praise than he gets.

Rum bunter going on twitter saying he wouldn't trade Meadows straight up for anyone. Not even Sale or Quintana lol.

Yea this kind of fan-like behavior and infatuation with prospects that kills someone's credibility. If Moncada can be part of a package deal for Sale then Austin Meadows can be dealt one-for-one for Quintana. Not saying the Pirates are going to deal Meadows, or even should deal Meadows, but if the Sox come at them with that offer they will take it and run.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
If we are talking about Brave packages I need Albies and Maitan to be the headliners in any deal. Maitin, even though extremely young may be the position player I want the most if we can't get a Meadows, Bell, Tucker, etc.

That is exactly what I feel too.

Looking at Newman, Fangraphs gives him a greater than 50% chance of putting up 4 WAR or less total in the first six years of his career. Again, that is not the guy who you want to get as the top position player in a deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
Looking at Newman, Fangraphs gives him a greater than 50% chance of putting up 4 WAR or less total in the first six years of his career. Again, that is not the guy who you want to get as the top position player in a deal.

Agreed I was warming to the idea but after reading that it worrys me. Even their write up on Glasnow mentioned there is a chance he could end up as a reliever. I just don't see any of these teams willing to budge at this point. I really think this plays out through spring training (baring an injury) and up though the trade deadline. And I'm okay with that, Hahn needs to maximize value with Q, and really all the remainingtrade assets. This rebuild needs to be done throughly and patiently. I'm okay with them holding out to get the guys on their board, it just worrys me that Q is slated to pitch the WBC, and although he is not injury prone, thats my main concern with not pulling the trigger before spring training, the WBC, and the regular season.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
Agreed I was warming to the idea but after reading that it worrys me. Even their write up on Glasnow mentioned there is a chance he could end up as a reliever. I just don't see any of these teams willing to budge at this point. I really think this plays out through spring training (baring an injury) and up though the trade deadline. And I'm okay with that Hahn needs to maximize value with Q and really all the remain trade assets. This rebuild needs to be done throughly and patiently. I'm okay with them holding out to get the guys on their board, it just worrys me the Q is slated to pitch the WBC, and although he is not injury prone that's my main concern with not pulling the trigger before spring training, the WBC, and the regular season.

Fangraphs writeups are much more conservative than say, MLB pipelines, and so it's good to give yourself some context by reading some of other top prospects from them. They are still prospects and prospects fail. For example, Max Scherzer also had questions about whether they would be a starter or reliever. So did Chris Sale. But yes, these are great and should be a bucket of water that indeed some of these players will fial.

And same goes for meadows, he may have constant hamstring issues like we dealt with from Pods after 06 and he never plays.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
Fangraphs writeups are much more conservative than say, MLB pipelines, and so it's good to give yourself some context by reading some of other top prospects from them. They are still prospects and prospects fail. For example, Max Scherzer also had questions about whether they would be a starter or reliever. So did Chris Sale. But yes, these are great and should be a bucket of water that indeed some of these players will fial.

And same goes for meadows, he may have constant hamstring issues like we dealt with from Pods after 06 and he never plays.

For sure have read a ton of write ups on most of the names from the various teams reported to have interest in Q but this fan-graphs was the first one I have seen say that about Glasnow. Again I would love Glasnow and apart of a package but the headliner needs to be Bell or the now designated untouchable HOF Meadows, plus Glasnow and a guy like Newman and/or Diaz. I understand Pirate fans are attached to their top prospects, as they should be, as should Astro and Yankee fans. But the fact remains is Hahn has a plan, and certain targets. He has already stated he is in no rush, and deals will be made when they feel they are getting max value. Someone mentioned yesterday how Boston and Hahn has be talking back and forth for over a year about Sale. Right now we have a stand off and no one is budging. It will take someone to come off their ask or someone to up the ante or this thing is going to drag out until someone is desperate. And again good for Hahn for sticking to a plan and his perceived value for his players.

Probably unrelated, but the Braves just traded Mallex Smith and a bullpen piece for two class A pitchers. One of which is a pretty well-regarded lefty.

Would make sense if they're about to unload some young pitching for a front-line starter, like a bunch of people have been speculating recently (Justice, Bowman, etc.). Then again, could be absolutely nothing.

Edit: Crasnick is now reporting another trade is coming, but from the Mariner's side.

Edited by Username

Here's Dave Cameron's take:

Dooduh: Let’s try this again…. why would Glasnow + Bell + 3rd prospect not be enough for the ChiSox to pull the trigger for Quintana? That is a strong package and there’s little reason to believe they are getting any more than that… and holding him accepts risk of poor performance impairing his value. They are not going to get Meadows by holding out any longer. This has to be just a matter of time, no..?

12:42

Dave Cameron: I think Pirates fans are a lot higher on Glasnow than non-Pirates fans. The command is terrible and the stuff isn’t that special. He’s not good enough to be the primary piece in a Quintana trade.

QUOTE (Username @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
Probably unrelated, but the Braves just traded Mallex Smith and a bullpen piece for two class A pitchers. One of which is a pretty well-regarded lefty.

Would make sense if they're about to unload some young pitching for a front-line starter, like a bunch of people have been speculating recently (Justice, Bowman, etc.). Then again, could be absolutely nothing.

Edit: Crasnick is now reporting another trade is coming, but from the Mariner's side.

I kept thinking mariners could be in on our bullpen pieces. But I doubt its us.

I was thinking this too. It would make sense.

Mariners have made a lot of trades this offseason.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
For sure have read a ton of write ups on most of the names from the various teams reported to have interest in Q but this fan-graphs was the first one I have seen say that about Glasnow. Again I would love Glasnow and apart of a package but the headliner needs to be Bell or the now designated untouchable HOF Meadows, plus Glasnow and a guy like Newman and/or Diaz. I understand Pirate fans are attached to their top prospects, as they should be, as should Astro and Yankee fans. But the fact remains is Hahn has a plan, and certain targets. He has already stated he is in no rush, and deals will be made when they feel they are getting max value. Someone mentioned yesterday how Boston and Hahn has be talking back and forth for over a year about Sale. Right now we have a stand off and no one is budging. It will take someone to come off their ask or someone to up the ante or this thing is going to drag out until someone is desperate. And again good for Hahn for sticking to a plan and his perceived value for his players.

Sox will sit back and wait unless they get exactly what they want

I'm sure the White Sox started the conversation with: Meadows + Glasnow + Bell for Quintana

The Pirates are trying to work a Glasnow + Newman ++ angle and I don't think it is even close to working

Sox know they are in the driver's seat, Quintana's cheap contract is a big rarity on the market. Teams like the Astros and Pirates are very unlikely to be able to shell out for a massive SP free agent contract in coming offseasons. Pirates need to think about whether they want to go for it or stand pat and miss the playoffs.

I don't think the Astros have enough to offer if they are not willing to include Bregman or Musgrove off of their mlb roster. Martes and Tucker are solid pieces, but I don't see either as being a can't miss prospect.

And this was from Dan Szymborskis chat:

Rick Hahn

2:10 Why am I having such a hard time finding a match for Quintana (in a pitching starved market no less)?

Dan Szymborski

2:10 I think they're still in the asking for the stars phase.

If they don't settle for the moon, then worry.