President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
There's already contingency protests planned around the country.

Hypothetically, Congress could reappoint him, but that requires the GOP to have a spine.

Trump would also have to conduct his own Saturday Night Massacre through the DOJ and Senate GOP members are loyal to Sessions.

Lmao yea that means nothing

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
I am sure he makes up lies to make half the country hate him because they look at politics through a partisan lens.

Alan Dershowitz comes out with a controversial opinion, and when virtually all experts disagree with him, he claims that there are lots of HIDDEN MYSTERY experts who do agree. I'm convinced.

It's still a matter of how you (and he) portrayed it. He's not some wise, completely objective and impartial observer who's divined The Truth from The Evidence that the President simply cannot be guilty of obstruction of justice. It's one constitutional opinion on a matter that's never been settled by the courts or politically. Some scholars agree with him, some don't, and it isn't a reflection of partisan politics. Maybe a bunch of people are really contacting him privately telling him how smart and correct he is, maybe some are shunning him out of partisanship, but that doesn't mean his opinion on the issue is final.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
Virtually all experts? Maybe virtually all experts whose opinions you don't write off. I bet if he had the opposite opinion you wouldn't be exercising the same criticism or any criticism at all.

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/4/16733422/fbi-...nn-russia-comey

Here are a bunch of constitutional scholars taking the opposite opinion to Dershowitz. This is like when we were talking about the 2nd Amendment the other week. There are legal arguments on both sides of the equation, and it's something that will ultimately be decided by SCOTUS if push comes to shove.

And flip around your argument, Rabbit, you are really quick to jump on here with Dershowitz's opinion, but not with the other side of the argument. Would you have posted this at all is Dershowitz had said that the President can be convicted of obstructing justice?

Edited by illinilaw08

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)

Remember how 2k5 posted that the Republicans totally were going to stop supporting Roy Moore and I keep bringing up the post?

I'm gonna try to remember this one because it's so cute you actually believe it.

Has anyone addressed the other side of this, why exactly anyone should care about Alan Dershowitz's social life? Seriously, Alan Dershowitz has never lost a friend over an argument before and the fact that it happened once is national news worth showing up on a message board for a Chicagoan based baseball team?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
I don't remember whatever you're talking about and I have no idea how Roy Moore has anything to do with a DOD audit. I never stated any opinion on the article I posted. So I am not sure why you find opinions I didn't make "cute." Should I not post links to the DOD's press releases?

Frankly, by posting it without commentary, when "posting links to DOD press releases" isn't exactly something you do on a regular basis, I see no reason why I shouldn't conclude you think "This is highly important to share with a group of people and its importance will be self evident".

Are you laughing at the concept of the DOD passing an audit also? Do you think the auditor will turn out to be able to fly? If you are taking something other than "This is important work" out of that then tell me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
Has anyone addressed the other side of this, why exactly anyone should care about Alan Dershowitz's social life? Seriously, Alan Dershowitz has never lost a friend over an argument before and the fact that it happened once is national news worth showing up on a message board for a Chicagoan based baseball team?

OH damn. If this could only be the standard for all of the posts in this forum, I would be thrilled.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)
Virtually all experts? Maybe virtually all experts whose opinions you don't write off. I bet if he had the opposite opinion you wouldn't be exercising the same criticism or any criticism at all.

If there are many experts who agree with him, why isn't he mentioning them instead of anonymous mystery people?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
I have never given my opinion on Dershowitz's opinion so your inferences on me are questionable. I just found it interesting that the leftists are abandoning one of their own for having a different opinion.

this is expressing an opinion

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
Dershowitz chose evidence over partisan politics and he’s paying for it in his social life

@SecretaryZinke spent $6,250 on a government helicopter to avoid traffic to go on a horse ride with @VP

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/07/r...pters-dc-212730

Everyone in this admin is grifting constantly

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke spent more than $14,000 on government helicopters this summer to take himself and staff to and from official events near Washington, D.C., in order to accommodate his attendance at a swearing-in ceremony for his replacement in Congress and a horseback ride with Vice President Mike Pence, according to previously undisclosed official travel documents.

The travel logs, released to POLITICO via a Freedom of Information Act request, show Zinke using taxpayer-funded vehicles from the U.S. Park Police to help accommodate his political events schedule.

In a case detailed in the new documents, Zinke ordered a U.S. Park Police helicopter to take him and his chief of staff, Scott Hommel, to an emergency management exercise in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, on June 21.

Zinke’s staff justified the $8,000 flight by saying official business would prevent him leaving Washington before 2 p.m., too late to make the two-hour drive to the exercise, according to the documents.

The event that prevented Zinke from leaving before 2 p.m. was the swearing-in ceremony for Rep. Greg Gianforte (R-Mont.), according to Zinke's official Interior calendar. Gianforte, who won a special election for Zinke's old seat in May, and his wife contributed $15,800 to Zinke’s two congressional campaigns.

Grift, grift, grift

Trump Financial Regulator Mulvaney Pushed CFPB To Back Off Industry That Bankrolled Him

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau chief Mick Mulvaney repeatedly pressed the agency to back off lending regulations as financial industry donors were bankrolling his congressional bids, according to government documents obtained by International Business Times. Some of the letters signed by Mulvaney that pressured the agency came within weeks of him raking in campaign contributions from payday lending industry donors who were urging the CFPB to stand down.

Breaking News: Department Of Defense hasn’t been able to pass an audit since the Clinton Admin ordered one in the late 1990’s

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/3614:de...n-audit-by-2017

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/politics/nav...ents/index.html

A spate of deadly US Navy incidents in Asia since Trump became president

Of course, we can blame it all on Obama. Except for the rising stock market, unemployment numbers and GDP growth. That’s all me, big time.

Plus now, I can ask for billions more in defense spending than the 4 branches actually requested (don’t forget our amazing Coast Guard, they’re doing great things in Puerto Rico right now as we speak...I mean, lisp “United States”) while preparing to cut Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security by 25% across the board in 2018.

Oh, and I have no medical problems despite gorging on Vienna Fingers, Oreo’s, KFC, McDonald’s (two Fish Filets and two Big Macs and one large chocolate shake)...that’s Weak Ass Hillary, or Fainting Hillary. The Diet Coke keeps me healthy enough to play 14 rounds of golf per month and even outdrive Justin and Tiger.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
These WikiLeaks were publicly accessible. LOL

Still funny that all these people hate Wikileaks for doing what, you know, journalists are supposed to do...

Journalists are supposed to publish people's social security numbers without their consent?

I think it's reasonable that people change minds based off of new evidence. Wikileaks came on the scene piggybacking on an opengov movement in the internet but it became clear as time went on it wasn't quite the same as uploading academic papers.

This "lol libs loved it!" isn't true, there were prominent and criticisms of wikileaks from groups on the left early on. Here was a popular example:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-mitchel...n_b_816197.html

The handling of leaks such as panama papers and snowden compared to prominent wikileaks dumps are noticeably different, and pointing out the questionable motives, the bulls*** analysis on their twitter feed, and the completely unneccessary invasion of privacy of irrelevant private contacts in the dumps is warranted. It would be warranted even if you broadly agreed with it's theoretical radical transparency!

But, I also would love to see the conclusion drawn if an email leaked from Dean Baquet or Marty Baron to Chelsea Clinton with a critical Trump piece asking her to get Hillary to mention or use it.

What if they were pressing to get an ambassadorship or job?

I don't know, I'm starting to think you guys may criticize that. But, I'm probably just blind in anger at Trump.

After cutting taxes, Trump looking to localities to raise revenue for infrastructure

As described by White House aides familiar with Trump’s initiative, additional federal funding would be available on a competitive basis for states and localities that submit plans outlining how they plan to raise new revenue dedicated to infrastructure.

Jurisdictions could raise their gas or sales tax rates, for example, or increase revenue flowing to infrastructure projects in a variety of other ways, such as imposing new tolls on roads or selling off existing assets to the private sector to generate money for new projects.

This sounds like the worst possible way to finance infrastructure improvements.