Alex Reyes fails physical, might need surgery

GGajewski18

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
Interesting thought. Sierra plus a lottery ticket would be a nice package for Gonzalez

It's likely they roll with watcha though

Agree. Wacha would be the smart thing to do. The Cards can always look to add a pitcher during the season if Wacha doesn't perform.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
Agree. Wacha would be the smart thing to do. The Cards can always look to add a pitcher during the season if Wacha doesn't perform.

The big concern is the overall health of the rotation. Question marks certainly exist, and most of their pitching prospects are not choose to the MLB. They can afford a Reyes injury, but if another starter goes down they will have issues

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)
I personally doubt that the cardinals would trade him.

I know. He's too good of a prospect to put in a trade. I'm sure the Cardinals would turn down the trade proposal. But it would be tempting to ask.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
Once a surgery is done, and the extent of the damage and repair is known, I'd be OK with it. Before then, too many unknowns to sign off on that risk in a deal for a best remaining player.

Once they determine if it's a UCL tear, it's pretty straight forward. The only other complication would be nerve damage but that is really obvious right away.

Again I don't think the Cardinals would entertain the idea of trading him. However, he would be far and away the best player the Sox could obtain for Q.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
Don't see Cards as a match at all. Outside of Reyes, they have no top 50 guys. Also can't see them unloading farm after losing their picks

Different thought than what has been thrown around on this thread. Wouldn't be surprised to to see the Reyes injury improve the chances of the Cards wanting to add a bat to help out the lineup now. Accomplishes a couple of things - 1) They are going to need to score some runs this year with the staff as currently constructed. They were going to have to do so even if Reyes was healthy, but this might push them to do something sooner. 2) Losing Reyes is an awful way to start camp for Cards fans and for the team. He was going to be a big bright spot for them. If they make a deal before ST ends they can get back some good vibes going into the season.

On that note - Frazier for Flaherty and Plummer.