Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 23, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
We desperately need a good first baseman that can hit and field well.

Meh. I am the guy that said I'd love to get Reed as a third or 4th piece of a Q deal (and I would), but 1B is a fairly easy thing to fill via FA when you're ready to compete.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 24, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
Meh. I am the guy that said I'd love to get Reed as a third or 4th piece of a Q deal (and I would), but 1B is a fairly easy thing to fill via FA when you're ready to compete.

Reed would be a great 3rd or 4th piece to a Quintana deal as his value is far lower than 1 year ago

If I were the Astros I would be very interested in a player like Quintana at the deadline.

Small sample size, but Martes has had significant issues with walks this season, issuing 23 walks in 24 innings pitched at AAA. He has also been far more hittable, allowing a .289 batting average against and a 5.25 ERA in 6 starts. He's young and still has plenty of time to develop, but Houston likely will need to admit that he won't be able to help a playoff push in 2017 yet.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 24, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
AL East, NL Central and NL West are shaping up to be very tight races this season. I could see suitors emerging from any of those divisions for Quintana around the deadline.

Forgot about the NLW. Hopefully AZ keeps the pressure on the Dodgers and maybe LA jumps into the Q bidding. Shame AZ has little to offer, they could use a starter.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 24, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
Forgot about the NLW. Hopefully AZ keeps the pressure on the Dodgers and maybe LA jumps into the Q bidding. Shame AZ has little to offer, they could use a starter.

Haha the more teams to jump in the better. The rockies can jump in as well.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 24, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
Reed would be a great 3rd or 4th piece to a Quintana deal as his value is far lower than 1 year ago

If I were the Astros I would be very interested in a player like Quintana at the deadline.

Small sample size, but Martes has had significant issues with walks this season, issuing 23 walks in 24 innings pitched at AAA. He has also been far more hittable, allowing a .289 batting average against and a 5.25 ERA in 6 starts. He's young and still has plenty of time to develop, but Houston likely will need to admit that he won't be able to help a playoff push in 2017 yet.

When it comes to Martes, this is where you have to decide how much you trust your scouts.

I'm starting to think that Boston's lack of reliable SP, even when Price returns, will lead Dombrowski to trade for Quintana. What's interesting is that aside from Devers and Groome, there aren't as many big prospects for them to trade to us. I know we've always liked Eduardo Rodriguez, but he's pitching well in the Majors, so would Boston accept something like this?

Chicago gets: Devers, Groome, E. Rodriguez, Dahlbec, lottery ticket

Boston gets: Quintana, Holland (to replace E-Rod in their rotation), and perhaps a reliever other than Jones/Robertson/Kahnle as a sweetener

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 24, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
I'm starting to think that Boston's lack of reliable SP, even when Price returns, will lead Dombrowski to trade for Quintana. What's interesting is that aside from Devers and Groome, there aren't as many big prospects for them to trade to us. I know we've always liked Eduardo Rodriguez, but he's pitching well in the Majors, so would Boston accept something like this?

Boston gets: Quintana, Holland (to replace E-Rod in their rotation), and perhaps a reliever other than Jones/Robertson/Kahnle as a sweetener

They aren't going to trade Rodriguez when they need the pitching in the first place.

I would suspect you can get Devers, but one would suspect Dombrowski is going to be a bit sensitive to the other pieces included.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 24, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
Honest opinion is sox are going to get way less than we expected on Q.

I agree, which is why I added a bunch of guys to my proposal above.

It's a shame, because he's under team control for a year longer than Sale and is just a tick worse, so their trade value should be almost equal if those two factors negate.

I would agree with that if I felt that Hahn would accept something thats lesser but I just dont see him accepting anything less than a haul. Q will probably remain a whitesox IMO.

I agree with that line of thinking. But for me, it leads me to thinking he stays longterm. And I'm ok with that.

I mean, I don't know.

On the soxtalk end, I think we got drunk on thinking top prospects were always available because of Sale/Eaton.

I think Q will get a haul of prospects. But I think it's more likely we see a Cole Hamels type return than a Sale/Eaton with two top 20 prospects.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 24, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
If 3B continues to be a complete black hole for the Red Sox then Devers will be starting there within a month or two, I doubt he's on the table.

I've been doubting that he will come up this season (maybe mid-next year) but then I remember who they called up last year in September ;)

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 24, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)

Thats quite an over pay.

Q & Frazier for Devers, Groome, Chavis, Hernandez/Beeks & Swihart. There is a massive 3B class coming up shortly for Boston to cash in on.

Groome has been hurt since his first start and Swihart looks to be a classic change of scenery type.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 24, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
I mean, I don't know.

On the soxtalk end, I think we got drunk on thinking top prospects were always available because of Sale/Eaton.

I think Q will get a haul of prospects. But I think it's more likely we see a Cole Hamels type return than a Sale/Eaton with two top 20 prospects.

Hahn has said he isn't dropping his asking price. If nobody is willing to give up a few top prospects for a LH TOR with multiple years of cheap control then we will keep him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
At the couple of returns we have heard about, I hope they keep him.

It probably doesn't hurt to keep him as the veteran of the pitching staff when all these young guys start coming up. I would have to be blown away to trade him at this point because whatever you get back is going to have a hard time matching Q's production over the next three seasons when the core of prospects ascends to the majors.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 24, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
It probably doesn't hurt to keep him as the veteran of the pitching staff when all these young guys start coming up. I would have to be blown away to trade him at this point because whatever you get back is going to have a hard time matching Q's production over the next three seasons when the core of prospects ascends to the majors.

He is a guy who you never have heard a bad thing about as long as he has been on this team. He is also the poster child for dealing with adversity as he is the world champion in ND's because of bad offense, and yet he has never said a word about it. If he can impart his view on how to be a professional on to the kids of this pitching staff, especially for guys like Kopech who might have some maturity issues, that is a huge win for the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
He is a guy who you never have heard a bad thing about as long as he has been on this team. He is also the poster child for dealing with adversity as he is the world champion in ND's because of bad offense, and yet he has never said a word about it. If he can impart his view on how to be a professional on to the kids of this pitching staff, especially for guys like Kopech who might have some maturity issues, that is a huge win for the Sox.

exactly! he is too valuable to take just a decent offer for. He will either get us a great haul or he will stay with us, there is no in between.

Edited by yesterday333

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ May 24, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
exactly! he is too valuable to take just a decent offer for. He will either get us a great haul or he will stay with us, there is not in between.

agreed.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ May 24, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
exactly! he is too valuable to take just a decent offer for. He will either get us a great haul or he will stay with us, there is not in between.

Abreu and Q would be great veterans to usher in the next era of White Sox baseball.

We could do much worse...