2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
I love that people that are vehemently against the rebuild keep pouring 40s on the ground for Tatis. Goes to show its less "I hate rebuilds" and more "I hate any move the front office does."

To me, it's more that you make a move that makes absolutely no sense and then turn around and completely blow it up a few months later. Did Hahn really think Shields was the missing link last year?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 05:17 PM)
To me, it's more that you make a move that makes absolutely no sense and then turn around and completely blow it up a few months later. Did Hahn really think Shields was the missing link last year?

Oh it was definitely a bad move and I'm not saying it's above critique.

But people that lovery ragging on rebuilding get mad about it and it's hysterical.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
I love that people that are vehemently against the rebuild keep pouring 40s on the ground for Tatis. Goes to show its less "I hate rebuilds" and more "I hate any move the front office does."

Pretty much the truth

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
This is appalling. The White Sox have acquired some really awful baseball players and yet everybody keeps their jobs. Somebody thought Shields could pitch and the Sox had to take over a lot of money on his contract. Very bizarre. He had given up 10 runs the start before the Sox got him and was called out by SD for his ineptitude. And we throw a good prospect in the Erik Johnson for Shields deal. Weird.

I believe Eric Johnson got hurt and has shown very little. Haven't followed him so I could be wrong but if I am not, it's not like the Sox gave up some top of the line prospect.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 10:48 PM)
I believe Eric Johnson got hurt and has shown very little. Haven't followed him so I could be wrong but if I am not, it's not like the Sox gave up some top of the line prospect.

Tatis has all the makings of a super prospect in two years if he continues with the development he's showing

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 06:52 PM)
Tatis has all the makings of a super prospect in two years if he continues with the development he's showing

White Sox traded away prospect = Super Prospect

White Sox acquired prospect = bust, failure, and panic.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 04:16 AM)
White Sox traded away prospect = Super Prospect

White Sox acquired prospect = bust, failure, and panic.

Why do you guys support this front office this much? This is about Shields and how bad he is. You trust the rebuild to guys who think Shields was a smart investment?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 09:40 PM)
Why do you guys support this front office this much? This is about Shields and how bad he is. You trust the rebuild to guys who think Shields was a smart investment?

Why is the media so kind to Hahn? Not to mention The Owner.

Jeez, he gave away $20 Million + for Shields (who was hurt at the time) and gave up a kid that they had just paid a nice bonus. You could almost, almost justify a trade between Shields and Eric Johnson. Then Preller said Rick, why don't you just toss in one ofd your prospects. Tatis will do.

Rick: Okay, why not.

Where would Tatis rank in our current Top Ten?

The worst part is SS/3B is one of our biggest areas of need if Burger and Tim Anderson can't stick at those positions defensively.

Still think with that size he eventually ends up over at third like his dad.

Would have been almost like getting Devers, too...one way to look at it. That said, it proves we at least successfully identified a very young Latin American prospect. But then turn around and underestimate their value, especially with Preller, the biggest expert on Latin American ballplayers out there. Just the initial ask should have been a huge red flag.

But let's see how he handles Advanced A ball before putting him in that elite prospect status just yet.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 05:52 PM)

I was specifically referring to Johnson in my comment responding to a poster who brought his name up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)
Let me put it this way with Tatis...

Player A: .274 .360 .466 .827 in A ball. 90K in 296 AB

Player B: .278 .336 .484 .819 in A ball. 90K in 273 AB

One is a bust because of K rate, the other is a Super Prospect.

Micker Adolfo!

Seriously tho, nice comp.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)

Duh because we traded one. That means the front office has no idea what they're doing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)

Tatis Jr. is more than two years younger than Adolfo and has the chance to play a premium position (and I'm not an Adolfo hater by any means)

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
Micker Adolfo!

Seriously tho, nice comp.

To confirm, B is Micker. A is Tatis. At the end of the day, it absolutely sucks to lose Tatis, but the one thing I am taking out of this is that Marco Paddy is putting in work, and we are starting to see some early returns here. That alone is a HUGE positive for the future of this organization. If we start to see other breakouts from Latin America from some of our previous classes, the chances of sustaining success from our minor leagues goes WAY up.