2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/early-bar...rlsbbe-leaders/

So Davidson is 5th in the MLB right now in barrels per batted ball at 23.1%. For those who don't know, a barrel is, as Podhorzer puts it in the article, a ball that a batter "hits the crap out of".

So maybe Matt Davidson can sorta keep this up. His BABIP isn’t seriously inflated and his HR/FB rate is just barely over 20%. The only question mark is the fly ball rate, as it’s highly unlikely he could sustain a near 60% mark. When that drops, his offense is going to decline and all the strikeouts are going to be problematic.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2017 -> 04:31 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 2h2 hours ago Daryl Van Schouwen Retweeted Daryl Van Schouwen

Twenty-four of White Sox' first 62 scheduled games are at home.

As Hawk says the schedulers have done us no favors the last two years. However. With more games at the former Comiskey in the warmer weather we might see more Sox offense

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 9, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
As Hawk says the schedulers have done us no favors the last two years. However. With more games at the former Comiskey in the warmer weather we might see more Sox offense

Sox issues with the schedule makers has been going on for longer than the past two years. JR has had front office folks check and compare the schedule to the other teams and has voiced issues to MLB in the past.

Not that it seems to do the Sox any good.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 12, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
I think the Cubs do trade Candelario this season but they could probably do better than Gonzalez.

For a straight up deal? I mean if they go up in levels of SP's the price isn't going to be just the one prospect, it will be multiple ones. The deadline has gotten expensive to shop at.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 12, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
I would even do something like Gonzalez and Swarzak for Candelario.

Candelario has no place to play on the Cubs, but he'd be perfect for the Sox. He's tearing up AAA too.

He can get time if they decide to play Bryant in the OF more but that would likely mean someone like Schwarber or Jay isn't playing everyday.

Few tidbits:

1) in 187 games, Saladino has now been worth roughly 10 runs above average with the glove. He's probably not a starter but he's certainly a useful player and could be trade bait, especially if he starts hitting. One worrisome thing is that his BABIP isn't the issue, it's roughly at his career norms. He's just not making good contact. His K% is higher than Avi's.

2) Sanchez is rocking a .397 BABIP which isn't going to last but unlike most players he's a guy that has benefited from more ground balls. He's hitting more on the ground hard this year and has found some holes. Like Leury he's found a way to cut his K% significantly, down to 19.7% which does give some hope he's figured something out.

3) Todd hasn't let his problems at the plate affect him defensively, where once again he's rocking an above average glove at 3B. Todd isn't a 4 WAR true talent player but he still is about a 2 WAR player, someone, maybe the Red Sox, could use him as we get into summer.

All in all after almost 25% of the year there's certainly enough bright spots to where you can squint and see a really good 2019 team if the Sox can make some moves to bolster the OF and the SP prospects mature. I didn't mention Narveaz in the tidbits but he is a very unique player and could be a great backup C or even part time starter on that team. He is a poor man's John Jaso perhaps. he is rocking a .35 ISO but somehow is also rocking a 17.1% walk rate and despite a .228 BA a wRC+ of 84 because of all those walks.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 15, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
Few tidbits:

1) in 187 games, Saladino has now been worth roughly 10 runs above average with the glove. He's probably not a starter but he's certainly a useful player and could be trade bait, especially if he starts hitting. One worrisome thing is that his BABIP isn't the issue, it's roughly at his career norms. He's just not making good contact. His K% is higher than Avi's.

2) Sanchez is rocking a .397 BABIP which isn't going to last but unlike most players he's a guy that has benefited from more ground balls. He's hitting more on the ground hard this year and has found some holes. Like Leury he's found a way to cut his K% significantly, down to 19.7% which does give some hope he's figured something out.

3) Todd hasn't let his problems at the plate affect him defensively, where once again he's rocking an above average glove at 3B. Todd isn't a 4 WAR true talent player but he still is about a 2 WAR player, someone, maybe the Red Sox, could use him as we get into summer.

All in all after almost 25% of the year there's certainly enough bright spots to where you can squint and see a really good 2019 team if the Sox can make some moves to bolster the OF and the SP prospects mature. I didn't mention Narveaz in the tidbits but he is a very unique player and could be a great backup C or even part time starter on that team. He is a poor man's John Jaso perhaps. he is rocking a .35 ISO but somehow is also rocking a 17.1% walk rate and despite a .228 BA a wRC+ of 84 because of all those walks.

Re Saladino. I don't know his walk rate but he seems to always be working the count. I'd also like to see his spray chart from last year. I think he is a much better hitter when going to right field. Maybe he got pull happy after the spring training HR's .

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 16, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
Any reason why Stone never goes to Seattle?

I don't know if that's true, but he does get a couple weekends off per season. The Sox are in Phoenix next week, so he gets a week straight at home.