4/13 Games

BlackSox13

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 07:22 PM)
I still think people are panicking way too early on Giolito. He's restoring his old delivery and I would not expect his veleocity to immediately return. Let's give him a few months before jumping to any conclusions.

I Think it's only fair to point out that Giolito's development was stunted by TJ surgery and is still just 22 years old at AAA. I agree, too early yet to panic. Even if Giolito takes all of this season to develop, he could still begin the '18 season with the Sox at just 23 years old. Give him all the time he needs.

As for the games tonight. Damn, have yourself a night Dane Dunning!

A first round college pitcher probably is ready for high-A. Dunning probably be in Winston-Salem pretty damn soon, and Birmingham before August shouldn't be out of question. Daniel Hudson had that one year he flew through the system. Maybe this guy can be similar, but obviously not big leagues this year.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
Speaking of neither of them, are people no longer excited about Spencer Adams.

With all the talent that came into the system this past offseason, I think he got lost in the shuffle more than anything else.

Seems to always happen with the White Sox.

Their top pitching prospects disappoint and "under the radar" guys like Santiago, Q, Buehrle, Santos, Fogg and Chad Bradford (just throwing out a few names, don't jump down my throat, lol) make the biggest impacts.

I guess Hudson and McCarthy have had their moments, when they could actually stay healthy.

For now, I'll think of Giolito as Erik Johnson, Lopez as Young Pedro Martinez/Juan Cruz (no pressure!) and Dunning as the next Aaron Nola/Michael Wacha.

Edited by caulfield12

He possesses a solid, sharply moving fastball that sits in the low 90s, but tops out around 95 mph. However, the rest of Dunning’s pitches are around average. His changeup has the chance to be above average, but his slider isn’t particularly good. Dunning’s accuracy is mediocre, but his overall control is stellar.

https://theloopsports.com/2017/01/27/white-...0-dane-dunning/

Looks like the biggest issue for Dunning is going to be developing his secondary pitches. He can get away with being a mostly fastball pitcher in A ball, but not in Birmingham or Charlotte.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 08:10 PM)
No reason for him to still be in low A.

Yeah, it probably won't take long for him to move up to WS. I know Hansen had a rough first outing but I don't think he spends too much time in Kanny either.

The next wave of pitchers is Lopez, Giolito, Fulmer but the wave after them (Kopech, Dunning, Hansen) could be just as interesting, if not more.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 08:01 PM)
Seems to always happen with the White Sox.

Their top pitching prospects disappoint and "under the radar" guys like Santiago, Q, Buehrle, Santos, Fogg and Chad Bradford (just throwing out a few names, don't jump down my throat, lol) make the biggest impacts.

Gio Gonzalez has had a damn fine MLB career so far. Still to this day my favorite pitching prospect I got to watch (and cover) in our system.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 14, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)

Thanks for posting that. Interesting that they added a slider. I would guess that they are purposely decreasing the velocity to try to improve command. The slider would then give a different look than the fastball/curve combo.