The Rotation and Covey Situation

flavum

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/861055573038641153

Two things--

1) Dylan Covey is why I hate the Rule 5 Draft, and want it to go away forever. Outdated. Dumb. Make it stop.

2) With Q on the mound today, and a day off Monday, they probably have time to come to their senses, and get rid of Covey. BUT...starting Tuesday, they only have one day off the rest of the month, and a doubleheader on May 26. It might not be a bad time to go with a 6-man rotation the rest of the month and give a Danish or Fulmer a spot start if Shields isn't ready soon.

Any other thoughts on the rotation? Covey has to go, right?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Covey starts until Shields or Rodon comes back. Holland and MiGo are probably traded around the AS break. Fulmer and Lopez get the call at some point. Danish, Giolito spend the entire season at Charlotte. At some point, with all those moving parts, Covey shifts to long relief. Next year, he goes to Charlotte as depth.

Need to be flexible now, not time to worry about wins. Why not piggyback Beck and Covey until one of the established guys is healthy?

QUOTE (daggins @ May 7, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
Covey starts until Shields or Rodon comes back. Holland and MiGo are probably traded around the AS break. Fulmer and Lopez get the call at some point. Danish, Giolito spend the entire season at Charlotte. At some point, with all those moving parts, Covey shifts to long relief. Next year, he goes to Charlotte as depth.

Need to be flexible now, not time to worry about wins. Why not piggyback Beck and Covey until one of the established guys is healthy?

Wasteful, even in a rebuilding year, to trot out Covey. As discussed in the game thread the Sox have better options in guys that might actually have an mlb future.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 7, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
Wasteful, even in a rebuilding year, to trot out Covey. As discussed in the game thread the Sox have better options in guys that might actually have an mlb future.

Which of those guys are ready though? Covey's a complete joke, but when the #1 goal of the season is developing young talent and not winning, who really cares if Dylan embarrasses himself out there once every five days. The last thing we should be doing right now is rushing any of our key prospects because the incumbent sucks balls.

I will add if someone interesting hits waivers, I would dump Covey in a heartbeat.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 7, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
Which of those guys are ready though? Covey's a complete joke, but when the #1 goal of the season is developing young talent and not winning, who really cares if Dylan embarrasses himself out there once every five days. The last thing we should be doing right now is rushing any of our key prospects because the incumbent sucks balls.

I will add if someone interesting hits waivers, I would dump Covey in a heartbeat.

Matt Cooper, Jordan Guerrero or Tyler Danish all would be more interesting. None are really ML ready, but Cooper is probably deserving of a shot. He is 26 and isn't getting any younger...I'd rather see him make a few starts until we're back healthy and Lopez is up than watching any more of Covey.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 7, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
Matt Cooper, Jordan Guerrero or Tyler Danish all would be more interesting. None are really ML ready, but Cooper is probably deserving of a shot. He is 26 and isn't getting any younger...I'd rather see him make a few starts until we're back healthy and Lopez is up than watching any more of Covey.

I like the Cooper idea. At some point, they just have to keep going to the next guy until they find an acceptable level of mediocrity. You can't throw a Rule 5 guy out there for two months at a 7+ ERA.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 7, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)

I agree with your comment.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 7, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)

This. For all of the people that wanted a rebuild, there is way too much stress and win now mentality. Forget about Asche, Covey, May and everybody else. This is a tank. Yes, a large part of the team is going to suck. It is a free audition for many of these guys, and that is all that it is.

This is the main point. The Sox aren't rushing guys anymore. There is no need for any of those three guys to be here now. Danish is the ONLY one who MIGHT make sense, and even he has the same K rate problems that Covey has.

I'd much rather push Cooper to AAA and have him get some starts there vs. call him up to the majors right now. I don't care that he's 25, he only has 5 starts above the A+ level. AA doesn't appear to be a challenge at the moment (SSS), but AAA is a different animal with much more seasoned hitters to deal with. Again, let him prove his worth in Charlotte and if all goes well maybe he can be part of the mix by June or July. That is a much more sensible development plan. I really think the age card is being overplayed here with Cooper.

The Sox had plenty of second-tier position and bullpen guys who had performed reasonably well in AAA to give them an audition spot on the roster. Some of them are playing pretty well: Kahnle, Davidson, Leury, e.g.

But there aren't any starters like that. Thus the Sox had to sign Pelfrey. This would have been a nice year for a Junior Guerra to pop up, but one hasn't.

Danish would qualify, but he's not pitching well. Who else is there? Can Beck be stretched out? Does he have multiple pitches?

If there is no one, it's not like Covey is causing a lot of harm.

Edited by GreenSox

Whatever happened to all the rebuild guys, team must lose for draft picks? The guy has sucked. He is a rule 5 guy, and there is a 99.9% chance when you throw a rule 5 guy directly in a major league rotation, he will suck. The team is going nowhere. Why are the White Sox widely criticized on this board for "rushing" prospects, but every damn time there is the first sign of a guy sucking or of a minor leaguer going on a roll, the same people who b**** about it, want them to do what they b**** about?

Let guys develop. It isn't necessary to see what some of these guys can do at the major league level yet. Make sure they are ready. Let Covey get destroyed while that happens. A good week, a good 2 weeks, a good month isn't proof. If you really want a rebuild, you have to be patient or it isn't going to ever work.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)
Whatever happened to all the rebuild guys, team must lose for draft picks? The guy has sucked. He is a rule 5 guy, and there is a 99.9% chance when you throw a rule 5 guy directly in a major league rotation, he will suck. The team is going nowhere. Why are the White Sox widely criticized on this board for "rushing" prospects, but every damn time there is the first sign of a guy sucking or of a minor leaguer going on a roll, the same people who b**** about it, want them to do what they b**** about?

Let guys develop. It isn't necessary to see what some of these guys can do at the major league level yet. Make sure they are ready. Let Covey get destroyed while that happens. A good week, a good 2 weeks, a good month isn't proof. If you really want a rebuild, you have to be patient or it isn't going to ever work.

It's more frustrating listening to the fans carry on about how bad a young player on the team is and then want him released and management to bring up a prospect, who they admit isn't ready. I guess they just want to complain and/or vent. Everyone seemed to want this rebuild and now that it's here they cry over every bad play, or poor pitching outing. You just have to get used to it for awhile.

Edited by elrockinMT

I don't know how many times it needs to be said...the rebuild is on and what is the right thing to do. But Dylan Covey has no business pitching in the big leagues. Two different things.

What we know about Fulmer is he's very talented and a mature person. Maybe this is his time to come and show he's progressed.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 7, 2017 -> 07:44 PM)
I don't know how many times it needs to be said...the rebuild is on and what is the right thing to do. But Dylan Covey has no business pitching in the big leagues. Two different things.

What we know about Fulmer is he's very talented and a mature person. Maybe this is his time to come and show he's progressed.

The Sox saw something in Covey. Hard to figure it out right now. But, Fulmer might deserve to be up but di the offer Covey back or just wait it out? I am guessing Pelfrey

or Covey is out when Shields is back

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 7, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
The Sox saw something in Covey. Hard to figure it out right now. But, Fulmer might deserve to be up but di the offer Covey back or just wait it out? I am guessing Pelfrey

or Covey is out when Shields is back

Well the Sox also saw something in a guy like Hector Noesi didn't they?

Hard to figure out sometimes what someone sees and what someone likes.

Covey though just doesn't have it and probably never will.

I understand and agree with the rebuild but Covey doesn't have a future in the big leagues, some of the borderline Sox prospects (not the top ones) may have something to offer. Time to take a look at them to see what they have possibly for the future.

Edited by Lip Man 1

I have no problem with Covey taking it on the chin every fifth game until an injured pitcher comes back or someone at Charlotte looks ready. I think the rule 5 status on Covey gets over stated a bit. A healthy Sox rotation (Q, Shields, Holland, Rodon, MiGo) has no room for him and neither does a healthy bullpen. He's still up due to injuries and young talent not being ready. When guys come back from injury and young pitchers push for a call-up, Covey will be one of the first to go, regardless of his rule 5 status.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 7, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)

I agree with this.

It's weird how we see people saying they love the rebuild, then the same people complain when the Sox are trotting guys out there and failing. How many times do people need to hear that winning isn't the point this year? Protecting and properly developing legit prospects is the point. Nothing at the big league level should compromise that in any way this season.

Ever regret starting a thread?

You say a guy who doesn't deserve being in the big leagues, doesn't deserve being in the big leagues, and all of sudden you're accused of being against the rebuild or even complaining.

I'm not complaining. I'm asking who is next, because Covey shouldn't pitch in the big leagues yet.

Edited by flavum