Sox Trade for 2 Bonus Slots from Baltimore

Heads22

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ May 21, 2017 -> 01:54 AM)
Wait a second, this should be worth 2x to the Sox. If this gives them 750k more space, and the tax is 1:1, then it should save them 1.5mil

No, they still have to pay the $750k to Robert. They've simply reduced their tax burden by $750k.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
Next period is now officially worthless to the White Sox.

I wouldn't classify it as "worthless". They can't make any big ticket expenditures but they can still add guys. They have $4.75 million to spend. They could sign 10 guys for 300K apiece and still trade $1.5 million in International $$. They could trade all $4 million of it if they want. They have options.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 20, 2017 -> 05:20 PM)
Well, there's an open spot on the Kanny roster now. Wonder if Robert starts there.

With the pitching depth the Sox have, trading Katz for bonus slots is a smart move.

Don't think we'll see Robert with an affiliate for a few more weeks/months, but I do see him moving quickly

Reasonable ETA on the South Side is Opening Day 2019

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 21, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
Don't think we'll see Robert with an affiliate for a few more weeks/months, but I do see him moving quickly

He turns 20 in August, so he's in his Age 19 season. It would be great if he's that good of a player, but one step at a time. If he ends 2018 in Birmingham, I'll take that as a positive.

ROY 2020

QUOTE (flavum @ May 21, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
He turns 20 in August, so he's in his Age 19 season. It would be great if he's that good of a player, but one step at a time. If he ends 2018 in Birmingham, I'll take that as a positive.

ROY 2020

If he ends up in AA by the end of next season he's on a path to super stardom. I'd be happy if he's in AA by midway through 2019. The Sox seem to have changed their ultra aggressive approach to toolsy prospects, thank goodness.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
Next period is now officially worthless to the White Sox.

That is a huge misconception. I have seen other posters say that they should start scouting 14 year olds because the next two signing periods are already over. That is totally false, the Sox are going to be able to sign 20 kids over the next two offseasons for $300K. With the new cap, teams are going to be able to acquire more talented players for less than $300K than ever before. Looking around the league, it is about a 50/50 split of guys from LA that had huge bonuses to guys that had bonuses less than $100K. There is still a lot of work that can be done, and this is where you rely on Paddy to find you the guys that grow into ball players.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ May 20, 2017 -> 04:42 PM)
How much did Sox sign their lower tier prospects for in years past? I'm wondering if there are teams that will sign the more interesting next tier names for slightly over $300k to beat out the penalizing teams.

They may, but it counts against their cap if they do.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 22, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
That is a huge misconception. I have seen other posters say that they should start scouting 14 year olds because the next two signing periods are already over. That is totally false, the Sox are going to be able to sign 20 kids over the next two offseasons for $300K. With the new cap, teams are going to be able to acquire more talented players for less than $300K than ever before. Looking around the league, it is about a 50/50 split of guys from LA that had huge bonuses to guys that had bonuses less than $100K. There is still a lot of work that can be done, and this is where you rely on Paddy to find you the guys that grow into ball players.

I think the opposite happens. There will be a whole lot of guys who used to sign for $500k to a $1 million who will be signing for $325k, or slightly more. I think the top guys still clean up, but the middle tier guys suffer. But it will still be too easy for a team who isn't out of the restricted phase to offer someone $325k (maybe say $400 or even $500k), and absolutely clean up against the 10-15 teams who can't offer more than $300k. They will be the ones signing 10 to 15 kids in that range, with the table scraps left over for the under $300k crowd.

The Sox are stuck in the Wal-Mart aisle for the next two years. Could there be finds there? Sure. But the odds are dramatically decreased.

I think the market will shift, but I think it will be less noticeable this year. Some of the agreements may have started pre CBA, and could drag some players upward. Should be more available at 300k than last year, but I think next year will be much more indicative.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 21, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)

If Robert is on our opening day roster in 2019 that would mean he blew past all expectations and is certainly on the path to superstardom. I do not see that happening, at least so quickly.

He will spend the entire season in the low minors, possibly seeing some time in high A Winston-Salem in 2017. If he performs really well the Sox could send him to the Arizona Fall League to test his skills.

Realistically we have no idea what his ETA will be until he plays in the minors for several months. It's a big culture change moving to the USA and playing professionally. Make him earn a promotion.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 22, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
If Robert is on our opening day roster in 2019 that would mean he blew past all expectations and is certainly on the path to superstardom. I do not see that happening, at least so quickly.

He will spend the entire season in the low minors, possibly seeing some time in high A Winston-Salem in 2017. If he performs really well the Sox could send him to the Arizona Fall League to test his skills.

Realistically we have no idea what his ETA will be until he plays in the minors for several months. It's a big culture change moving to the USA and playing professionally. Make him earn a promotion.

If you look at the defensive deficiencies that Abreu had even at 27 years old, and see how raw guys like Alexei, Dayan, and Moncada are/were when they got here, I think September of 2019 is fairly optimistic, with the expectation that he might compete for a job by the next decade.

Victor Mesa will sign for $300k just to play with Moncada, Abreu and Robert...then sign a huge extension like Tim Anderson.

Well, one can certainly dream a few Cubans are pulled to the Sox in the same way every veteran bench player wants to go to the Cavs and Warriors.

Lost in the shuffle are the thousands of talented kids from our own country! I think we will be OK if we end up with a couple of filler Americans on our team. Who cares if we used all our resources on this 1 quality signing--once in a while the quality over quantity model is a nice change of pace. We're already home so we might as well go big. I LOVE the gamble on this kid.

Interested to see how Robert fares once he starts in Kanny. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he makes it to the big leagues before 2020, if he is as good as some experts say he is.

But until that happens, everything is pure conjecture.

Edited by ChiSox59