Reverse Standings Thread

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
If we draft someone in 2018 that isn't ready till 2024 that would suck.

Yea - but as you know, these young special types typically have a tendency to push their complete rise in a 1 to 3 year window.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
Yea - but as you know, these young special types typically have a tendency to push their complete rise in a 1 to 3 year window.

If TA is good (and Sox are picking up his two team options) and Turang is a top prospect, say top 10 in MLB, but is still 3-4 years away then the Sox can flip him for whatever they need to make a pennant push. I just really like the idea of drafting a top SS prospect. Those are rare and guys like Beer frequently drop into the 8-20 range. Sox aren't going to be picking top 3 again in 2019 if things go well next year development wise.

Bottom of the 9th in philly - still 5 to 4 Dodgers with the top of the order coming up for the phillies

Edit: lead off single

Edit: double play - of course :angry:

Edit: game over, dodgers win.

Lose White Sox... lose.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
If TA is good (and Sox are picking up his two team options) and Turang is a top prospect, say top 10 in MLB, but is still 3-4 years away then the Sox can flip him for whatever they need to make a pennant push. I just really like the idea of drafting a top SS prospect. Those are rare and guys like Beer frequently drop into the 8-20 range. Sox aren't going to be picking top 3 again in 2019 if things go well next year development wise.

Or put Turang at third and if Burger is a basher put him at DH.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)

I am not sold one bit that this team still wouldn't be bottom 3 again next year. They literally have 0 bullpen pieces and had career years from guys this year (Avi, Leaury, Yolmer, Davidson, etc). Plus our questionable (at best) starting pitching. I hope they all are for real but I just don't like those odds. I am not expecting much. But I'd absolutely love to be wrong.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
Not unreasonable for a HS draft pick. That would make him 24 years old. That's a little long but not unreasonable.

If a 1-1 out of high school didn't get to the bigs until 24, that's not what the parent club had in mind when they drafted him.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)

Right, the guy we draft in 2018 may very well just be fuel we need to get us over the hump in 2020 with a trade.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
If we draft someone in 2018 that isn't ready till 2024 that would suck.

The club options won't be picked up if he busts so it's actually 2022 when we would hypothetically need a replacement available in the system. Turang would be around 21-22 at that time. He should be ready by then. Point is if TA busts that is a hard position to fill with an impact player at a reasonable cost at that point of the rebuild. To have an internal option to replace him if need be is gold.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 05:07 PM)
Right. If TA ends up good you move Turang for a cost controlled all star at our biggest need.

Or you play him at 3B, where he can be a home grown cost controlled star.

Regardless, I think it's way too premature to be having this conversation.

Yeah, I REALLY don't want them to take a HS player with their first pick, for a variety of reasons. I simply don't believe that this org is competent enough to make the correct pick, & then successfully take that young man all the way through the system.

Better to take the best college bat available, regardless of position, with the 1st round pick.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete