2017 Draft prediction thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
I said that a projected top 50 pick would be a value on day 2 or day 3. I didn't say anything controversial. Sorry if my post insinuated something else because I didn't mean to. Again, please keep Heimlich talk in Heimlech thread.

Here it is: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102854

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
I think the sox get Haseley. We've been pretty successful recently with guys who kinda fell to us (Rodon, Fulmer to an extent and of course Chris f***ing Sale).

Sure hope you're right... I wouldn't necessarily consider Fulmer and Sale as picks who fell to us like Rodon thou.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
Sure hope you're right... I wouldn't necessarily consider Fulmer and Sale as picks who fell to us like Rodon thou.

Sale absolutely fell to us. He was considered a top 5-10 pick at the time.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)
I think the sox get Haseley. We've been pretty successful recently with guys who kinda fell to us (Rodon, Fulmer to an extent and of course Chris f***ing Sale).

I like how much he's improved his strikeout rate. From 19% to 12% to 9% between his freshman and junior seasons. Everything basically improved dramatically over his career.. Average, power, OBP, slugging %, SB's, fielding %, etc. Would love to have him.

Good BA comparison between Kendall and Haseley from April: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/str...CuX4WR72XlDk.97

Watching him hit, he reminds me of Mark Kotsay.

Edited by NCsoxfan

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
Why get bats over someone that the Sox think could be a top of the rotation starter?

If Kyle Wright fell, would you pass on him for a bat? What about Hunter Greene?

No you wouldn't.

I'm not completely against taking a pitcher but getting a guy who has a good chance of ending up as a reliever isn't worth it at this point IMO.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
Why get bats over someone that the Sox think could be a top of the rotation starter?

If Kyle Wright fell, would you pass on him for a bat? What about Hunter Greene?

No you wouldn't.

That wasn't who I was referring to. If a top 3 arm falls (it wont), sure. But I want a bat over Bukauskas.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
Sale absolutely fell to us. He was considered a top 5-10 pick at the time.

Huh - I must not have remembered it correctly then... I thought at the time when we picked him at 13 it was a surprise that many in the industry didn't like.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
That wasn't who I was referring to. If a top 3 arm falls (it wont), sure. But I want a bat over Bukauskas.

My point is what if the Sox rate Bukauskas say 5th and White 23rd, why take White at probably under slot with the unknown of who'll be on the board at 49

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
This. We need bats.

Absolutely agree. I saw recently where only the Giants have a combined worse minor league record than the Sox. Their top three farm teams are something like 8-24 in June and Birmingham doesn't have much talent at all.

They need hitters and position players. Plenty of pitchers in the system with potential but they have got to get talent that plays in the field everyday.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
Absolutely agree. I saw recently where only the Giants have a combined worse minor league record than the Sox. Their top three farm teams are something like 8-24 in June and Birmingham doesn't have much talent at all.

They need hitters and position players. Plenty of pitchers in the system with potential but they have got to get talent that plays in the field everyday.

Minor league records don't mean anything.

I give it less than 10% chance they will be taking Kendall. With the Sox recently admitting defeat on Hawkins (demoted to Kanny), I highly doubt they want to go down that path again. I like it's more likely they go underslot than to take Kendall or Adell even if all of the top hitters are gone.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
I'm beginning to worry the Sox pass on Kendall only for him to become another Trout situation (not actually becoming Mike Trout, but posters raging about it for years)

yep, better hope like hell some team(s) ahead of the Sox cuts an underslot deal or two so that somebody falls to the Sox. Man, I hope this doesn't turn out like Benintendi where we missed by just one draft slot.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
yep, better hope like hell some team(s) ahead of the Sox cuts an underslot deal or two so that somebody falls to the Sox. Man, I hope this doesn't turn out like Benintendi where we missed by just one draft slot.

That's what I'm worried about for Haseley - not Kendall. Trout didn't have a history in college or high school of high strike out rates to harp on and missing out on Beni just plain sucked.

I'm beginning to worry the Sox pass on Kendall only for him to become another Trout situation (not actually becoming Mike Trout, but posters raging about it for years)

The only thing I will say is that soxtalk crushes to me have a pretty good track record, Edwin Jackson notwithstanding. The soxtalk grouphate is more mixed.

I am pro kendall but heart of hearts am scared of him. If he fails it will be so obvious why he failed, and if he succeeds it will be a pretty rare thing.

edit: most recent grouphate on Aaron Judge as piece for Q not looking good :)

Could you really blame the Sox if they pass on Kendall?

His NCAA k% rate is frighteningly high, despite other clear tools. If he pans out and becomes a stud, good for him. I'm willing to pass on him