2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

NBA Draft hot take that may make me look stupid: Dennis Smith will be better than Lonzo Ball.

I think that Ball benefitted quite a bit from the roster and offensive system at UCLA. They had several players that can score/shoot and they pushed the pace, which played to his biggest strengths (passing and transition play). If you put him on a team with more suspect scoring options around him (like the Lakers), there's a pretty good chance his flaws are more apparent.

He doesn't get to the rim in the half court very well. He doesn't get to the line and ISO/pick and roll scoring weren't a big part of his game. As someone else mentioned a while ago, he only made 7 shots the entire year that weren't at the rim or from 3. His main move in isolation is a 25-foot step-back. I really think he needs strong scoring options around him to flourish.

I'm not saying he's going to suck, but I think his upside isn't as high as others do. IMO, his most likely outcome is something like Ricky Rubio with a 3-point shot (although I also think his jumper might not be as strong as it was at UCLA, he was very streaky in HS).

Dennis Smith has shown a more versatile offensive game. He's a great athlete that made plays despite a brutal situation at NC State. Most of his flaws are related to poor decision making and focus, which in theory should be correctable. He does have a lower floor because those things don't always get fixed, and there's a chance he's a good stats/bad team guy.

Added note- I typed the Ricky Rubio thing before Jalen pointed it out!

Well...I hope Lavine is healthy and keeps his forward looking climb and I hope Dunn can be the player a lot of people thought he could be before last season started and that whomever we get at #7 can turn this around. Will be interesting to see what happens with Rondo. I presume he will be kept and Bulls will have him mentor Dunn?

And the Bulls took a giant s*** while I was typing.

WHY THE f*** ARE THEY GIVING UP THE 16TH PICK?!!?!?!

That's really f***ing dumb.

I'm not a fan of Dunn or LaVine. Dunn is only about 3 years younger than Butler and sucked last year. As for LaVine, I think he looks sexier in highlights than he does on the floor. He can dunk and shoot 3's reasonably well, that's about it. The T-Wolves played better after he got hurt. Speaking of which, that's another huge issue.

It should be noted that Levine was pretty damn good before he went down and has been trending upwards (which is a good thing) since joining the association. I honestly would have put the trade as borderline fair if it weren't for giving up 16. I really wish we had 2 1st rounders in this draft.

I'm a fan for life so now to hope Lavine gets healthy and becomes a freak (he's at least fun to watch) and that Dunn can emerge (everyone is writing him off pretty quick). Now to see who we draft and hope Paxson finds the next Luol Deng @ 7 (or better...but Deng was last guy I can think of that we took at 7) :)