Cafardo: Cardinals interested in Avi

striker

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 09:55 PM)
If he goes to arbitration next year, what is he likely to get? $6-7 mm?

Well, if you look at JD Martinez, he broke out in 2014, his last pre-arb season. His first time through arb, he got 3 mil, the same as Avi. He continued to hit well and signed a two year deal buying out his arb years for 18.5 mil. The first year of that deal guaranteed Martinez 6.75 mil. Assuming the Tigers got some slight savings over the arb process, you can assume that Avi would probably get slightly more than that, given his performance, but nothing crazy like 10 mil, given his lack of track record. So probably a little over 7 mil.

Actually, Avi is super 2, which I forgot. Since this will be his third pass thru arb, he might earn slightly more than that. There aren't many cases like this - Dee Gordon would have been a good one, but he signed a multi year deal prior to his second pass thru arb, so there's not a case study.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
Double that and you might be close.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but you don't understand how arbitration works. A $12-$14 million arbitration price would indicate that he is worth anywhere from $20-$24 million. Avisail Garcia is not worth $20-$24 million.

The biggest contract I could see Garcia earning on the free agent market right now is something around 5/$80 or 5/$90, and that is a huge commitment to a guy who has had half of a good season. More likely it would be 3/$48 plus team options for 4 and 5 at around $18-20 million a year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but you don't understand how arbitration works. A $12-$14 million arbitration price would indicate that he is worth anywhere from $20-$24 million. Avisail Garcia is not worth $20-$24 million.

The biggest contract I could see Garcia earning on the free agent market right now is something around 5/$80 or 5/$90, and that is a huge commitment to a guy who has had half of a good season. More likely it would be 3/$48 plus team options for 4 and 5 at around $18-20 million a year.

Don't waste your time, sin city sox is just trolling you. That's what he does and will continue do until the mods take action.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)
Double that and you might be close.

Obviously you have something against Avi with your troll statements about what he's worth, etc. So what guys on the team do you like? You've been here since 2005 so you must be a Sox fan.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
Obviously you have something against Avi with your troll statements about what he's worth, etc. So what guys on the team do you like? You've been here since 2005 so you must be a Sox fan.

I don't hate Avi at all. As a matter of fact, I want him to be of the White Sox future when we win our next World Series. However, you can't offer someone who wins the league batting title and finishes in the top 3 of MVP vote getting only $6 million dollars per year. That's insulting and would guarantee his exit from the South Side.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 01:03 AM)
I don't hate Avi at all. As a matter of fact, I want him to be of the White Sox future when we win our next World Series. However, you can't offer someone who wins the league batting title and finishes in the top 3 of MVP vote getting only $6 million dollars per year. That's insulting and would guarantee his exit from the South Side.

You have a talent to blast a player through your sarcastic writing. This line: "someone who wins the league batting title and finishes in the top 3 of MVP vote getting only $6 million dollars per year" is priceless on the sarcasm/troll scale.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 01:25 AM)
.318! You worried yet?

I am worried about Avi and what this may mean for the organization.

As for your beef sandwiches, no, I am not worried. I'd be happy to buy them for you if it meant Avi would start barreling up the ball again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
Dan Hayes‏Verified account @CSNHayes 3m3 minutes ago RE: Avisail Garcia, Ozzie Guillen offered him some tough love in Venezuela this winter. Talked about it Sat. Will have more later. #WhiteSox

Nice.

There's a lot to love about Ozzie. He's a competitor. Too bad he couldn't shut up. He should still be our skipper but he enjoyed talking too much and buried himself out of baseball managerial positions forever.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)
Obviously it doesn't effect anything, just odd that you're giddy over a bad outcome for the organization because of an Italian beef sandwich.

I really don't think the Sox will even end up trading him regardless (even if I think that they should).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 06:07 AM)
Lighten up Francis, it's just a fun little bet. It's not like anyone is rooting for an injury.

My offer is I will buy a beef sandwich for 10 members of Soxtalk. Only caveat is we have to be in Portillos at the same time. No fries. No drink. Just the sandwich.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
Yes. You let me know when my cheering actually affects anything. This is a win-win bet for me.

Looking at your signature, I am scratching my head as to why you guys couldn't come up with the simple "Draft Beer."

:)