Cafardo: Cardinals interested in Avi

striker

What's the obsession with people wanting to trade the team's best players? Anytime a player has success, there seems to be a thread about what the Sox could get for him from another team.

How about this, keep your good players and build a winning team with them.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:20 AM)
What's the obsession with people wanting to trade the team's best players? Anytime a player has success, there seems to be a thread about what the Sox could get for him from another team.

*if you can extend them.

Lol. What do you think the last 3 seasons were about? This is still the early stages of a rebuild and the way that you build something sustainable is by continuously adding talent to the minor league system. Based on the players that have already been acquired, it's safe to assume that the Sox don't have any intention to win much this season or next. Their window is 2020 and beyond. Avi doesn't necessarily fit in that plan. But the guys that he could bring back in a trade would.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:28 AM)
Lol. What do you think the last 3 seasons were about? This is still the early stages of a rebuild and the way that you build something sustainable is by continuously adding talent to the minor league system. Based on the players that have already been acquired, it's safe to assume that the Sox don't have any intention to win much this season or next. Their window is 2020 and beyond. Avi doesn't necessarily fit in that plan. But the guys that he could bring back in a trade would.

^ this. If you could snag Carson Kelly and some more interesting pieces you have to at least think about it. I love Avi and think he can sustain a good portion of this improvement, but filling catcher with a potential 22 year old cornerstone would be huge. Guy has golf glove potential and is coming into his own with the bat.

Garcia has two years of control left, Swarzak has none. We are also in a rebuild. E=MC squared.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)

None of the rebuild talk makes sense so if you want to stay on the board you have to endure. Personally I think rebuilding is a great crutch for the front office. No matter how bad things get the employees can just tell the owner and fans, "We're in a rebuild. It will all pay off someday."

Man, the Sixers did the world a disservice by making tanking and rebuilding a sports term. It used to be if you were quietly rebuilding (Pirates, Royals, etc) you were derided and mocked and chastised and probably had to go through 2-3 general managers and managers before the alleged rebuilding finally paid off with a division title. At least you got properly mocked publicly for having to rebuild in the first place.

Now it's cool for the advanced statniks to rebuild ... even though we have a thread on here wanting to trade Avi and a thread on here bemoaning how our ss of the future looks average at best.

Rebuilding ... thanks Sixers for making it cool.

NOT.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
None of the rebuild talk makes sense so if you want to stay on the board you have to endure. Personally I think rebuilding is a great crutch for the front office. No matter how bad things get the employees can just tell the owner and fans, "We're in a rebuild. It will all pay off someday."

Man, the Sixers did the world a disservice by making tanking and rebuilding a sports term. It used to be if you were quietly rebuilding (Pirates, Royals, etc) you were derided and mocked and chastised and probably had to go through 2-3 general managers and managers before the alleged rebuilding finally paid off with a division title. At least you got properly mocked publicly for having to rebuild in the first place.

Now it's cool for the advanced statniks to rebuild ... even though we have a thread on here wanting to trade Avi and a thread on here bemoaning how our ss of the future looks average at best.

NOT.

None of the rebuild talk makes sense? You seriously don't get why this team is rebuilding? Were you under a rock the past 5 seasons? lmao

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)

NOT.

Greg, how can you POSSIBLY hold this worldview having JUST witnessed the Cubs and Astros turn from total embarrassments into powerhouses by following this exact process?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but do you literally only pay attention to the White Sox and Royals?

Also, are you actually just angry that we "statniks" are trying to find a way to enjoy our team during this period? Is THAT what this is about? You are upset because we aren't acting miserable? Tell me that isn't it greg, because that is some of the most childish s*** I've ever heard.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
Greg, how can you POSSIBLY hold this worldview having JUST witnessed the Cubs and Astros turn from total embarrassments into powerhouses by following this exact process?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but do you literally only pay attention to the White Sox and Royals?

I get that it isn't guaranteed success, but man this organization needed to try to do something different.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Username @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)
^ this. If you could snag Carson Kelly and some more interesting pieces you have to at least think about it. I love Avi and think he can sustain a good portion of this improvement, but filling catcher with a potential 22 year old cornerstone would be huge. Guy has golf glove potential and is coming into his own with the bat.

The same Carson Kelly that is a career .253 hitter in the minors? The one that has never hit double digit HRs? I know he is a good prospect and has been much better recently in his career, but the Sox would need to get much more for Avi than Kelly. I understand he is a catcher and carries surplus value because of it, but this would be trading a 3 or 4 type hitter for a 7 or 8 type hitter. I would be disappointed if he were the headliner.

There is no rush to trade him and he is producing at an pretty elite level right now. I am not against trading him, but make another make you trade him.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
Garcia just turned 26 years old. If he's not part of the rebuild, then they don't know what they are doing.

Like I said, if they can extend him (which I think would be premature to do until mid-next year, this offseason at the earliest). No point of just holding onto him for 2 years.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:50 PM)
Garcia just turned 26 years old. If he's not part of the rebuild, then they don't know what they are doing.

It's going to take him a long time to have the stat people believe he's not a half season fluke. Considering the lack of good players to trade (Robertson and Q are going to bring something of note I'd think, but that's it) and the projected lousy defensive metrics of some of our young players (Anderson, Burger, Moncada) and the non certainty of our pitching staff even after the Sale/Eaton trades, this rebuild is gonna take a while if we're hoping to rebuild with draft picks. With Q about to be gone, wow, we better hope all these pitchers we acquired plus Rodon and Fulmer are not good, but great. And we'll need a closer. Nate is not the answer.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)

Also, are you actually just angry that we "statniks" are trying to find a way to enjoy our team during this period? Is THAT what this is about? You are upset because we aren't acting miserable? Tell me that isn't it greg, because that is some of the most childish s*** I've ever heard.

Powerhouse? The cubs are barely a .500 team. /green

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:14 PM)

The Cubs and Astros had everything that could go wrong go right. Everything.

I am kind of upset the statniks are out there supporting the alleged snails pace rebuild. Their enjoyment of the so called rebuild takes our miserable front office (KW) off the hook for being unable to put together a division title contending team despite the presence of a handful of incredibly good players on the roster year after year. They wasted my time and yours with Robin at the helm for gawd sakes. TOTAL WASTE OF YEARS.

We've had great closers. We've had Sale. We've had Abreu. We've had a decent to good nucleus that with the proper tinkering could have given us nirvana baseball the past 10 years. But nooooo. Oh well I can dream of Ozzie and the 05 team as I wait on this rebuild.

p.s. Fulmer and Rodon better be great or the alleged rebuild takes a hit early on.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)

I am kind of upset the statniks are out there supporting the alleged snails pace rebuild. Their enjoyment of the so called rebuild takes our miserable front office (KW) off the hook for being unable to put together a division title contending team despite the presence of a handful of incredibly good players on the roster year after year. They wasted my time and yours with Robin at the helm for gawd sakes. TOTAL WASTE OF YEARS.

We've had great closers. We've had Sale. We've had Abreu. We've had a decent to good nucleus that with the proper tinkering could have given us nirvana baseball the past 10 years. But nooooo. Oh well I can dream of Ozzie and the 05 team as I wait on this rebuild.

p.s. Fulmer and Rodon better be great or the alleged rebuild takes a hit early on.

If the proper tinkering would have done differently, please tell me what you would have done otherwise.

Also, Rodon and Fulmer were taken well before the Sox decided to rebuild. The success of Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, and Lopez will have the biggest takes on the rebuild.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)

Yes currently they are, but I believe that they're referring to them winning the World Series last year (in case you forgot), making a deep run in 2015 when the expectations weren't that high at all. They still have a very talented roster but have played very poorly (World Series hangover or whatever you want to call it).

Damn just noticed the /green, you got me!

Edited by Sleepy Harold

There's no in between for you is there? They either have to be great...or the completely suck. Dude...relax and enjoy watching a young team grow. Sox fans have b****ed about this for years and the FO FINALLY does it...and you're not happy about it. I'll agree with you on Ventura...he should have been gone two years ago and just a stopgap from Ozzie. But c'mon...snailspace? It just started. Geezus.

The bolded makes me laugh every time I see it on one of your posts.

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

Does this come custom fitted or is it adjustable?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)

They just won a World Series, and they're set to be the favorites in their division for the foreseeable future. I think that's literally everything you can ask for your team to give you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)
Avi Garcia can be a free agent at the end of 2019. Period. The Sox just don't have any control there.

Well, they are going to have pay players at some point. You can try and extend him this off season. In fact, he's the exact type of guy they should extend, a top talent that is coming into his prime years.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
Well, they are going to have pay players at some point. You can try and extend him this off season. In fact, he's the exact type of guy they should extend, a top talent that is coming into his prime years.

I want no part of giving Avi Garcia a significant extension as of today.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 02:58 PM)
Do you think he has just been getting lucky?

He certainly looks like a different player with a much better approach now than any other time in his career.

I am not willing to put nine figures on the fact that this is the real Avi Garcia. I think there is a chance he can sustain it, but that is one helluva bet.