Cafardo: Cardinals interested in Avi

striker

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
I don't know...I think these GMs are looking at the same stuff we are and wondering what the hell is going on here.

What do you think a suitable offer would be for you?

The potential has always been there. 30/30 was talked about from day one. Some guys realize their potential later than others. It is an interesting connection that the other guy being talked about by the Cardinals is JD Martinez, who followed that exact path.

If I am Hahn, I am looking for at least a top 50 player to start the deal, but I am looking for 2-3 top 100 players, and/or some raw potential that isn't quite there yet. You don't get a Top 10-20 guy for him, but someone in that next tier is a reasonable start.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
The potential has always been there. 30/30 was talked about from day one. Some guys realize their potential later than others. It is an interesting connection that the other guy being talked about by the Cardinals is JD Martinez, who followed that exact path.

If I am Hahn, I am looking for at least a top 50 player to start the deal, but I am looking for 2-3 top 100 players, and/or some raw potential that isn't quite there yet. You don't get a Top 10-20 guy for him, but someone in that next tier is a reasonable start.

Yeah, I am certainly open to that discussion.

Just don't expect it to happen, irregardless of what he does over the next 6 weeks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
Yeah, I am certainly open to that discussion.

Just don't expect it to happen, irregardless of what he does over the next 6 weeks.

Realistically, the expectations I have are that the free agent crowd gets dealt, as well as Q and Robertson. After that, who knows.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 08:33 AM)
A young, middle order bat is exactly that.

See, Avi's Rod Carew-esque Babip has lead to irrational exhuberance, such as calling him a "middle order bat." Or recalling KW's unadulterated BS of calling Avi's potential as "30-30."

Now, drop his Babip to a league average Babip, or even slightly above average, and Avi's a below average player, at best. Re-signing him would be insanity, IMO.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
See, Avi's Rod Carew-esque Babip has lead to irrational exhuberance, such as calling him a "middle order bat." Or recalling KW's unadulterated BS of calling Avi's potential as "30-30."

Now, drop his Babip to a league average Babip, or even slightly above average, and Avi's a below average player, at best. Re-signing him would be insanity, IMO.

I still find it funny when people talk about BABIP. Growing up with just batting average I ask myself why not just say Rod Carew-esque batting average ? Anyone hitting .337 is going to have a high BABIP.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)

His BABIP will almost certainly fall but Avi's career BABIP is .333 so regressing it to the league average doesn't make sense. He can be a .340 BABIP guy, so going forward I think his numbers will still look decent if he can keep hitting for power.

Gosh danged Sabes makes it nearly impossible to talk about baseball anymore, lol.

If Avi is hitting more fastballs, more contact/foul balls, pulling more balls for power...why would that be unsustainable in the sense that he couldn't be at least a .270-.280 hitter with 20-30 homers per year?

Not a 5-6 war player, but 2-3, certainly with X amount of value to any MLB team.

For example, he hit a rocket Friday that was caught...yet his average is still in the 330's. Everything normalizes over the course of 162 games, whether you believe in such a thing as good and bad luck. If he's hitting more line drives, and line drives lead to hits 60% of the time, what's the problem?

If he has faster hands, less bulk, more fast twitch muscles and can get an additional 2-3 infield singles per month, that compensates for some of the BABIP discrepancy.

His batted ball statistics suggest that he is making less weak contact than he ever has, which obviously adds for more medium and hard contact. Things like this need to be factored into your BABIP regression argument.

It's a Curse most White Sox fans have. A guy like Avi has a great year, and it comes back to he isn't this, he is what he was. A guy like Q has struggles, and it's the new him. He will never be what he was.

The longer Avi keeps hitting, the closer we come to the end of it's just a mirage talk. He won't hit .340. But I think he can maintain a much better than average BABIP. His last 450 PA, he is hitting over .300 with an OPS over .850.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
His BABIP will almost certainly fall but Avi's career BABIP is .333 so regressing it to the league average doesn't make sense. He can be a .340 BABIP guy, so going forward I think his numbers will still look decent if he can keep hitting for power.

Exactly. His ISO is like .210 this year. If he keeps that up, he's still valuable even with a 50 point drop in BABIP. And that's not even including some positive regression with his BB rate which is abnormally low.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)

I think you just redefined the word "insanity". .330ish is still .330ish. He has been nothing short of "great" this year.

I know insanity in a Sox uniform when I see it, and this isn't it. Signing Dunn, Rios, Manny, Griffey -- that is insanity. The Swisher trades -- that is insanity.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
Realistically, the expectations I have are that the free agent crowd gets dealt, as well as Q and Robertson. After that, who knows.

Mine are the same, although I would think Q is doubtful at this point. Robertson is essential.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
Mine are the same, although I would think Q is doubtful at this point. Robertson is essential.

Yeah I would've thought the same, the Heyman report saying Sox officials are assuming he's dealt is interesting though.

Was the article ever linked? Blurb near the bottom.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2...KP8N/story.html

7. J.D. Martinez, OF, Tigers; Avisail Garcia, OF, White Sox — These are the two names linked most often to the Cardinals, who need a righthanded-hitting outfielder. Kendrick also could be in the mix. The Giants have been looking for a righthanded-hitting outfielder all season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
It's a Curse most White Sox fans have. A guy like Avi has a great year, and it comes back to he isn't this, he is what he was. A guy like Q has struggles, and it's the new him. He will never be what he was.

The longer Avi keeps hitting, the closer we come to the end of it's just a mirage talk. He won't hit .340. But I think he can maintain a much better than average BABIP. His last 450 PA, he is hitting over .300 with an OPS over .850.

Yep. There were a lot of non believers in Q when he first started doing good. It's come full circle now.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
I think you just redefined the word "insanity". .330ish is still .330ish. He has been nothing short of "great" this year.

I know insanity in a Sox uniform when I see it, and this isn't it. Signing Dunn, Rios, Manny, Griffey -- that is insanity. The Swisher trades -- that is insanity.

Now that's a great post. All the ridiculously bad things our front office has done and people give the front office the benefit of the doubt all the time. Avi is despised by many and they'll never get over it til he does this for 3 seasons and by then they'll say he's old and to dump him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
Yep. There were a lot of non believers in Q when he first started doing good. It's come full circle now.

Yep. I remember how folks were eager to trade Q for Castro and the following year it was Q for Puig.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
It may be too late as his value has gone through the roof, but I'd offer him an 8 year $120 million extension. If he takes it, he's the centerpiece of our rebuild. If he doesn't, trade him if you can get a package as good (or better) as we got for Sale.

You literally have nothing better to do than troll on Father's Day? Good god dude...

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
It may be too late as his value has gone through the roof, but I'd offer him an 8 year $120 million extension. If he takes it, he's the centerpiece of our rebuild. If he doesn't, trade him if you can get a package as good (or better) as we got for Sale.

8/120?! No way he accepts anything below 12/360.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 05:37 PM)
8/120?! No way he accepts anything below 12/360.

Let's be serious. The market will not give him Bryce Harper type dollars yet (this may change in a year or two if he's not locked up long term)

I really think an offer of 8/120 is about FMV at this point and I think he may take it for long term stability.

Avi is a future HOFer and I'd hate to see him enter Cooperstown representing another team besides the White Sox.