Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
"Chicago-connected folks have suggested they expect him to go this month."

Also mentions we're seeking teams too two prospects.

The White Sox are believed to have sought from the Astros top pitching prospect Francis Martes and outfielder Kyle Tucker, while they are thought to have mentioned in Yankees talks top infield prospect Gleyber Torres and top outfielder prospect Clint Frazier.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 07:38 AM)
Packages I would take for Quintana:

HOU: Tucker, Whitley, Alvarez

NYY: Frazier, Adams, Andujar, Abreu

MIL: Brinson, Ortiz, Diaz

CHC: Jimenez, Cease, Candelario, Perlaza

ATL: Acuna, Anderson, Riley

Any of these riduculous? Yankees give up four top 10 guys, but Frazier is a cut below those other OFs based on the most recent mid-year prospect rankings. And it would clear three spots from their 40 man roster crunch.

Those are reasonable trade ideas for what it would take the White Sox to move Quintana. Hahn knows they absolutely cannot sell low on the final blue chip trade piece we have. Remains to be seen what teams will be willing to offer as the deadline approaches.

I see the Dodgers and Astros being very motivated buyers given how strong they have been so far. Quintana would be a prime addition to any contender.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
This is a good point on The Yanks past, but I don't think the Sox want to wait til the Last couple days of June.

I really think people are goin g to be disappointed in the return for Q.

Why is it that you think that? What are you expecting back? Should we be hoping for a couple top 100? Anything in the top 25?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
This is a good point on The Yanks past, but I don't think the Sox want to wait til the Last couple days of June.

I really think people are goin g to be disappointed in the return for Q.

Sox might not want to, but the market might dictate the Sox have to wait until the heat gets turned up on contenders with only two months left until the playoffs.

I hope you are wrong and that we don't settle for a lesser deal for the sake of trading Quintana.

The Cubs could be a dark horse due to their pressing need for quality starting pitching. They are in the middle of their contention window and adding a cost controlled starter like Quintana would go a long way towards replacing Arrieta/Lackey after this season.

If I'm Brian Cashman, I look at my organization and consider the following factors when deciding how to proceed this trade deadline:

1) Currently has a wild card spot and within striking distance of the division lead (3.5 games behind BOS)

2) Significant immediate & long-term need for a TOR starter (preferably cost controlled)

3) Crazy 40 man roster crunch that will result multiple players being taken in next year's rule 5 draft

4) Tons of OF depth throughout the organization and four regular caliber players already on major league roster

5) Epic free agent class coming up in two offseasons with multiple star OFs & 3Bs

6) Real luxury tax concerns that must be considered when making moves between now and 2018/19 free agent class

So when considering the factors above, Jose Quintana is the guy I'm targeting at this deadline. He meets short-term & long-term needs by giving the Yankees a cost-controlled veteran TOR starter to anchor their rotation for the next 3 1/2 years and mentor their young arms. He'll only count about $6M or so against the luxury cap, which doesn't impact their ability to be major players in the epic 2018/19 free agent class. And he allows them to spend their money on positional players rather than risking big bucks on a starter.

I would also no doubt be willing to part with Clint Frazier in a Quintana deal. Judge has a spot locked up for the foreseeable future. Hicks is controllable for two more years and has been amazing. Gardner is still very solid and signed through next season. Ellsbury provides depth as well. And then you have quality prospects in Fowler, Rutherford, & Florial waiting in the wings. Given the upcoming roster crunch, it would be poor asset utilization to keep both Frazier & Fowler and they obviously can't move Dustin at the moment.

So again, assuming I'm Cashman, I'd probably be willing to give up a package of Frazier, Adams, Andujar, & Abreu for Quintana & Swarzak. All four guys are expendable, it clears three 40 man roster spots for next year, fill two important needs right now, and provides my team with a quality veteran starter to anchor the rotation from 2018 to 2020. As long as Torres is off the table and the ask isn't both Frazier & Rutherford, I don't see anything holding up a deal from the Yankees perspective.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
If I'm Brian Cashman, I look at my organization and consider the following factors when deciding how to proceed this trade deadline:

1) Currently has a wild card spot and within striking distance of the division lead (3.5 games behind BOS)

2) Significant immediate & long-term need for a TOR starter (preferably cost controlled)

3) Crazy 40 man roster crunch that will result multiple players being taken in next year's rule 5 draft

4) Tons of OF depth throughout the organization and four regular caliber players already on major league roster

5) Epic free agent class coming up in two offseasons with multiple star OFs & 3Bs

6) Real luxury tax concerns that must be considered when making moves between now and 2018/19 free agent class

So when considering the factors above, Jose Quintana is the guy I'm targeting at this deadline. He meets short-term & long-term needs by giving the Yankees a cost-controlled veteran TOR starter to anchor their rotation for the next 3 1/2 years and mentor their young arms. He'll only count about $6M or so against the luxury cap, which doesn't impact their ability to be major players in the epic 2018/19 free agent class. And he allows them to spend their money on positional players rather than risking big bucks on a starter.

I would also no doubt be willing to part with Clint Frazier in a Quintana deal. Judge has a spot locked up for the foreseeable future. Hicks is controllable for two more years and has been amazing. Gardner is still very solid and signed through next season. Ellsbury provides depth as well. And then you have quality prospects in Fowler, Rutherford, & Florial waiting in the wings. Given the upcoming roster crunch, it would be poor asset utilization to keep both Frazier & Fowler and they obviously can't move Dustin at the moment.

So again, assuming I'm Cashman, I'd probably be willing to give up a package of Frazier, Adams, Andujar, & Abreu for Quintana & Swarzak. All four guys are expendable, it clears three 40 man roster spots for next year, fill two important needs right now, and provides my team with a quality veteran starter to anchor the rotation from 2018 to 2020. As long as Torres is off the table and the ask isn't both Frazier & Rutherford, I don't see anything holding up a deal from the Yankees perspective.

This could be very interesting. If the Sox were willing to back off of the two top guys, and take say 1 top guy plus 4-5 B guys instead, is the deal still worth it?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
Sox might not want to, but the market might dictate the Sox have to wait until the heat gets turned up on contenders with only two months left until the playoffs.

I hope you are wrong and that we don't settle for a lesser deal for the sake of trading Quintana.

The Cubs could be a dark horse due to their pressing need for quality starting pitching. They are in the middle of their contention window and adding a cost controlled starter like Quintana would go a long way towards replacing Arrieta/Lackey after this season.

You would think the Cubs would be interested not just because of need but also to reignite their team. They definitely need to figure out what their OF is going to look like long-term and deal one of Jiminez, Happ, or Schwarber to shore up their rotation. I just don't see where Happ fits in if they're committed to Schwarber in LF. Something has got to give and need to find a way to land a cost-controlled TOR starter. They can't afford to waste the prime/cheap years of their young positional core with the starters they have in place currently.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 05:40 PM)
This could be very interesting. If the Sox were willing to back off of the two top guys, and take say 1 top guy plus 4-5 B guys instead, is the deal still worth it?

Quality over quantity for me.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
You would think the Cubs would be interested not just because of need but also to reignite their team. They definitely need to figure out what their OF is going to look like long-term and deal one of Jiminez, Happ, or Schwarber to shore up their rotation. I just don't see where Happ fits in if they're committed to Schwarber in LF. Something has got to give and need to find a way to land a cost-controlled TOR starter. They can't afford to waste the prime/cheap years of their young positional core with the starters they have in place currently.

There was an article I came across yesterday about them being open to trading some of the young guys on the roster like Russell (would just put Baez at SS), Baez, Contreras (I don't see this happening at all), Schwarber, Happ.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
Quality over quantity for me.

This is a list I found on a Yankees message board of players that need to be added to their 40 or go to Rule 5 this year.

Catchers: None

Infielders: Abi Avelino, Thairo Estrada, Gleyber Torres, Tyler Wade

Outfielders: Rashad Crawford, Dustin Fowler, Clint Frazier, Billy McKinney, Leonardo Molina, Tito Polo

Pitchers: Albert Abreu, Domingo Acevedo, Ian Clarkin, Nestor Cortes, J.P. Feyereisen, Zack Littell, Jordan Montgomery, Eric Swanson, Stephen Tarpley

That list doesn’t include outfielder Jake Cave, righty Nick Rumbelow, and lefties Daniel Camarena and Chaz Hebert, all of whom will become minor league free agents after the 2017 season

But we aren't getting either right now.

Take something like Frazier, Fowler, Sheffield, Wade, Andujar, and Garcia if you aren't going to get Torres, Frazier, +?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)

I think so. The Yankees are so deep that they need to start converting their B tier prospects into controllable assets or risk losing some of them for nothing on an annual basis. What good does keeping Andujar around do for them if Torres is healthy and ready to take over 3rd. Or how about Albert Abreu who just reached high A but will need to eat up a 40 man spot for another two to three years. These would be excellent 3rd & 4th pieces for us, but have materially no impact on the Yankees long-term outlook. I'd still need one blue chipper (I still consider Frazier one) and a nice secondary piece if I were the Sox, but a could see this type of deal working for both sides.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
So, who are the suitors for Q?

Astros

Yankees

Brewers

Dodgers

Braves

Cubs

Rockies

That's a nice large group of bidders.

I think it's a three-team race between the Dodgers, Yankees and Rockies. The Astros are completely unrealistic and underwhelming. The Braves and Brewers will refuse to include their best prospects. And I don't see a Sox-Cubs blockbuster coming together.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)

A depth deal could likely be trumped by another suitor at the deadline, I think the Sox would not be inclined to accept something like that when they do not have to.

I like to eat, eat, eat.... apple and bananas....

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
A depth deal could likely be trumped by another suitor at the deadline, I think the Sox would not be inclined to accept something like that when they do not have to.

If that happened great. But from what all reports seem to be, something like this would be by far the best offer out there.

I don't know, I can't shake this part of the Sale trade.

We had the best AL pitcher on a cheap contract and return an incredible haul of the best prospect in baseball and a top 5 pitching prospect in baseball. And it was then filled out with a B- prospect and a C prospect.

Our value is off on either how much an elite prospect means in a deal or how much we value B prospects.

I think a headlined deal of Frazier/Adams is very realistic territory. But what's behind them (even with Swarzak included), is where I think it's hard to know but I would bet we see a worse return than Abreu/Andujar.

But maybe not maybe the fact that Abreu is so young makes him that 3rd piece.

I don't necessarily think the headliner will be so disappointing but the return after the headliner.

I just don't see a fit with the Dodgers, or why they would need another SP. Kershaw and Wood are the best 1-2 punch in the game, Hill/McCarthy can be a suitable #3 for the playoffs and they can piggyback their other guys for the 4th playoff spot. Their rotation leads all of baseball in ERA, FIP and WAR.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
Last I saw, they were waiting to see how they started July to determine whether they are buying or selling. They 5.5 out of first and still have to jump the Cubs to get there. They are 7.5 our of the WC and have to jump the Cubs and Rockies or Dbacks.

Some might say the Cubs have to jump the Cardinals.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
If that happened great. But from what all reports seem to be, something like this would be by far the best offer out there.

No reason to panic, as buyers won't show their cards until the deadline. White Sox have leverage as they do not need to deal Quintana unless the return is solid.

Nothing wrong with starting out with a high ask like Torres + Frazier

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)

I wouldn't necessarily accept that right away, but I'd get something like that lined up and let other teams know you have something you're willing to move forward with. The Red Sox did not get serious with Sale until the Sox finally had a quality offer on the table from Washington. Teams may be unwilling to trade a blue chipper for Quintana until they feel like they're at risk of losing him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
Not that interested in Frazier as the centerpiece. Torres, yes.

Rutherford yes if surrounded by enough other quality.

I'd be more than happy with Frazier as the center-piece. I do think the next 2-3 pieces behind him would be better than if it were Torres. Andujar I think would also be in a deal.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
I just don't see a fit with the Dodgers, or why they would need another SP. Kershaw and Wood are the best 1-2 punch in the game, Hill/McCarthy can be a suitable #3 for the playoffs and they can piggyback their other guys for the 4th playoff spot. Their rotation leads all of baseball in ERA, FIP and WAR.

I think my case if I was Friedman would be with the new baseballs it is very likely Hill will get another blister and you don't know when. McCarthy has been completely undependable for health. They have a glut of guys behind but none with the dependency of Quintana.

That said, I don't think that's a particularly strong case, but of all orgs I think LAD would value Quintana fairly high (strictly as a player). But, not the same need level to add a pitcher as places like Cubs/Yankees.