How do you rate the rebuild so far?

caulfield12

Give your score  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Rank the effort so far, as it stands today

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Tim Anderson is making $4 million per year. If he averages 0.5 WAR per year, he'll be worth the money.

There was nothing wrong with that extension whatsoever. You will end up eating your words on that one.

Yes, that rate is incredibly cheap in perspective against what other players are making. He is essentially making backup MI money to start, which is not a bad deal for the Sox. If he turns into something useful, it will be a steal.

Tim Anderson is making $4 million per year. If he averages 0.5 WAR per year, he'll be worth the money.

There was nothing wrong with that extension whatsoever. You will end up eating your words on that one.

$25 million in nothing when it comes to money in a contract. The options of $12.5 million and $14 million only make it better. It is these exact kind of deals that made players like Sale and Eaton even more valuable in deals.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)

Except that we don't know if he's actually any good at hitting as yet, which is the primary difference between a starting position player and bench fodder. The salary isn't the issue. It's the fact that he hasn't proved he deserves an extension or not.

Given that he's relatively inexperienced, what would have been wrong with letting him EARN the extension? I'm other words, waiting until the end of this season, or sometime in 2018?

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
For you, the guy that sits in front of his computer and posts here? Nothing at all.

For a Front Office that does this for a living? That extension becomes a lot more expensive while Anderson "earns" his extension.

It was a calculated risk.

Look, with where the salary structure of the roster, I would argue that it would remain a better deal to be more certain about what the organization was committing to.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
Look, with where the salary structure of the roster, I would argue that it would remain a better deal to be more certain about what the organization was committing to.

With the extension, the organization is 100% certain what it is committed to. Without the extension they would not have any certainty at all.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
For you, the guy that sits in front of his computer and posts here? Nothing at all.

For a Front Office that does this for a living? That extension becomes a lot more expensive while Anderson "earns" his extension.

keep slaying the trolls.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)

Brutal, and I love it

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
With the extension, the organization is 100% certain what it is committed to. Without the extension they would not have any certainty at all.

Sounds kind of strange considering Anderson was a rookie last year and that means 6 years of certainty does it not ?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 12:01 AM)
How anybody could give the rebuild a 10 is beyond me. Until the guys we got in the Sale deal prove they are good major leaguers I'll stick with a grade of 2. Ditto the guys in the Eaton deal.

Because we are being asked to rate a rebuild 3 months in, which is always ridiculous in itself. Ask again in 3 years.

Edited by soxfan2014

How anybody could give the rebuild a 10 is beyond me. Until the guys we got in the Sale deal prove they are good major leaguers I'll stick with a grade of 2. Ditto the guys in the Eaton deal.

You give it a 2 - Makes me all the more confident in my 8.

They got the best prospect in baseball for Sale. They signed the best player from Cuba. 2? This is a bit, right?

Edited by Sox-35th

But if he averaged a 0.5 WAR and they didn't extend him, he would be much cheaper.

Hopefully, eventually he will make the extension look astute. Right now it looks like a gift to the Anderson family. You win some, you lose some, but he still has a ton of time to make it look really good.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:22 AM)
But if he averaged a 0.5 WAR and they didn't extend him, he would be much cheaper.

Hopefully, eventually he will make the extension look astute. Right now it looks like a gift to the Anderson family. You win some, you lose some, but he still has a ton of time to make it look really good.

In the grand scheme of things, $25 million over 6 seasons is not that much of a gamble on a player who has considerable upside.

If he becomes a halfway decent starting mlb SS he's easily worth that money

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 06:33 AM)
In the grand scheme of things, $25 million over 6 seasons is not that much of a gamble on a player who has considerable upside.

It also may come with an opportunity cost...let's say the Braves made Albies available but we felt the need to stick with TA because of the extension...which, whether it is Albies or some other guy, to me seems like a plausible scenario.

I hope the guy bounces back...the last couple of games he at least has had some good PAs.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 08:33 AM)

No, but it does lock you into him, and it is money that cannot be spent elsewhere especially since when he gets a little more expensive you will be trying to win.

For it to be 'worth it" IMO, he is going to have to do better than just meet the average price per WAR. He was at his cheapest. If he isn't putting up 3 or 4 WAR seasons at some point, this extension was unnecessary. He was controlled very cheaply for a long time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
People still believe this?

Yep. Once I see further movement from our core I will begin to think otherwise. I also don't think Q's value will get any better than it was this summer. He is who he is and teams know it. There will be several options on the market as well. We will get a solid package but nothing better than this summer probably.

I give this post a grade of 1.75.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
Yep. Once I see further movement from our core I will begin to think otherwise. I also don't think Q's value will get any better than it was this summer. He is who he is and teams know it. There will be several options on the market as well. We will get a solid package but nothing better than this summer probably.

Fire does melt steel.

Hard to say until after the trade deadline. As of right now...to this date from the time the decided to move Sale...probably 8. If they get a ton of pieces at deadline or after...has to be a 10. But between the trades and last two drafts...I love the direction this franchise is taking!

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
You give it a 2 - Makes me all the more confident in my 8.

They got the best prospect in baseball for Sale. They signed the best player from Cuba. 2? This is a bit, right?

I like the Robert signing. That's not really rebuilding however. I consider it more free agency. You see a guy. You sign a guy. That to me is great. However it was alarming to read the ESPN.com Magazine article on the Cuban players and so so many are busts. I don't consider a signing of a Cuban player as part of any rebuild. This losing and tanking for draft picks and trades are the crucial rebuild mechanisms. We've signed Cuban players before and didn't call it part of any rebuild.

So far this rebuild has given us a horrible season this season and a GM who for some reason didn't complete his blockbuster trades of Q and Robertson last winter. He has two trades to make this season as this so called rebuild continues. Let's see who he gets for Q and Robertson. I am glad four of us gave the rebuild a 2 thus far.

I guess I could start patting Hahn on the back if Moncada comes up and looks like the superstar he supposedly is. I also was high high high on Anderson at one time, but everybody has limits. I finally got sick of low on base percentage and inability to take a walk. He did have a few walks in June and now has nine which is lending some hope. He did have a good on base percentage his last year of AA so maybe ...

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
I like the Robert signing. That's not really rebuilding however. I consider it more free agency. You see a guy. You sign a guy. That to me is great. However it was alarming to read the ESPN.com Magazine article on the Cuban players and so so many are busts. I don't consider a signing of a Cuban player as part of any rebuild. This losing and tanking for draft picks and trades are the crucial rebuild mechanisms. We've signed Cuban players before and didn't call it part of any rebuild.

So far this rebuild has given us a horrible season this season and a GM who for some reason didn't complete his blockbuster trades of Q and Robertson last winter. He has two trades to make this season as this so called rebuild continues. Let's see who he gets for Q and Robertson. I am glad four of us gave the rebuild a 2 thus far.

I guess I could start patting Hahn on the back if Moncada comes up and looks like the superstar he supposedly is. I also was high high high on Anderson at one time, but everybody has limits. I finally got sick of low on base percentage and inability to take a walk. He did have a few walks in June and now has nine which is lending some hope. He did have a good on base percentage his last year of AA so maybe ...

tinfoilhat.jpg Glad to see the hat style changed this week.