When Saladino/Leury return, who goes down?

caulfield12

Between Engel, W. Garcia and Hanson...?

Don't we have to keep Hanson or risk losing him if they send him down?

Engel deserves to stay, but then him sitting on the bench for Leury makes little sense when he could get everyday at-bats in Charlotte.

W.Garcia is more roster filler, but "expendable" comparatively.

Does the organization see Leury as an important piece or simply a trade chip? With him putting up such impressive fWAR numbers, there's a debate to be had about Engel vs. Leury (CF) in terms of biggest upside, and also the fact that Leury is our best back-up SS since Saladino can't ever seem to stay healthy.

Of course, Saladino/Leury/Yolmer/Hanson all have overlaps in terms of positional versatility. Who stays, and who is gone by this time next year? Leury would seem to have the most trade value, with Yolmer a close second.

IN your opinion, is Saladino or Leury Garcia the better SS at this point in their respective careers?

Lots of questions.

Edited by caulfield12

Send Hanson down. Doubt someone claims him, but if it happens oh well. And Willy Garcia still has options left no? Send him down again, don't see a particularly bright future for him anyway.

Hate to be That Guy, but really all of these guys are nothing but bench pieces. Not that a bench player capable of backing up multiple positions doesn't have some value, but if we are serious about being WS contenders in 3-4 years I don't think any of these guys mentioned in the OP will be starting players.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 06:44 PM)
Send Hanson down. Doubt someone claims him, but if it happens oh well. And Willy Garcia still has options left no? Send him down again, don't see a particularly bright future for him anyway.

Hate to be That Guy, but really all of these guys are nothing but bench pieces. Not that a bench player capable of backing up multiple positions doesn't have some value, but if we are serious about being WS contenders in 3-4 years I don't think any of these guys mentioned in the OP will be starting players.

Leury was a top 40 guy in all of MLB fWAR when he got hurt...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 09:01 PM)
Leury was a top 40 guy in all of MLB fWAR when he got hurt...

Small sample size...like I said, he can still have pretty good value as a super utility guy that can play multiple positions, but I just don't see him being a regular long term. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't see the slug% he had as something he can keep up. Seemed a little flukish to me, but I would have no problem eating crow on this 1 if he is able to keep it up.

Hard call, outside of Garcia I think all of the other guys have been more impressive than Saladino. Engel I think they are going to keep in CF as his defense and good offense have been a nice sign. Obvious answer performance wise would be running Engel in CF, Yolmer at 2nd and Leury at SS but we know that isn't going to happen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 09:36 PM)
Willy still has options.

Engel has more value defensively and as a pinch running option. That said, if the goal is consistent at bats, you could still send Adam down. I guess it depends on the organization's view of Willy going forward.