Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:03 PM)
See, I couldn't disagree more. I don't like this much at all. We've already got like 2-3 guys that can play center field. Presumably, this guy will come up and play left when Melky is gone, but Adam Engel is actually deserving of playing time right now and I think when Garcia returns, he deserves another chance as well.

Would have much rather gotten an intriguing arm or something.

I get the Swarzak was signed as a minor league FA, but let's not ignore what he accomplished up here; nor should we ignore his stuff. Dude can bring mid-90's heat with a wicked slider that he currently has penchant for locating wherever the hell he wants. I'm frustrated by this idea of comparing the value a player had when he was initially signed with the value he received back when traded. What we need to be considering is the value the player has given his current performance.

If that means we get some mediocre prospect who might become a 4th OFer if he's lucky, I'd prefer to just f***ing let the guy close for the rest of the year and see if he'll resign with you.

I should probably wait until I actually see this guy play, because it sounds like he is one hell of an athlete, but we are not short on athletes, from what I understand.

Im not thrilled about the return either, but it's always better to get something rather than nothing for a team in the position of the Sox. Seems like some scouts really like him, and FG called him a 2nd division starter. I would have preferred a couple lower level guys that had more upside but more risk, but I'm OK with it overall. Just have a bit of a logjam of AAAA Of types now.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:05 PM)
Thing is, consensus seems to be that a lot of scouts really like him. He's probably a better bet to contribute at the MLB level than a lot of the bigger name Brewers guys that forgot how to hit this year.

Yeah, that was the initial takes I read..."under the radar guy that scouts love."

Keep in mind that Passan also said the dude the Marlins got back from Seattle had a huge ceiling, only to have basically everyone else later say the dude is a bust.

Looks like Swarzak won't be needed tonight by the Brewers, 7-0 over Nats in the late innings.

Our two best closing options now are Jennings and Clippard. YIKES.

On the plus side, he's a career minor league OPS guy of 800+, and can supposedly defend. We don't have many of those profiles in our system.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=m...itting/2017/ALL

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-25-pros...waukee-brewers/

Scouting Report

Regarded before the draft as an athletic, small-school project, Cordell refined his swing and skills in the Rangers system before getting sent to Milwaukee as part of the Jonathan Lucroy trade. Since signing, Cordell has lowered where he loads his hands and slowed down his stride, both of which have helped him tap into his plus natural bat speed and hit for pull power in games. He hit 19 homers at Double-A in 2016, more than he did in three combined seasons at Liberty.

Cordell is a plus runner capable of playing center field. The Brewers’ crowded upper-level outfield situation might necessitate a multi-positional role for Cordell, who has seen pro reps at shortstop, center field and all four corner spots, though he only played the outfield in 2016 and lacks the hands/footwork for regular infield duty. He’s a plus athlete with terrific purported makeup that could conceivably pass at either first or maybe third with focused development, but that might slow the progress of Cordell’s bat, which could be knocking on the door of the majors by mid-year, especially if the adjustments Cordell made to cut down on his strikeouts hold in Triple-A.

Cordell was old for his level in 2016, a level he was essentially repeating. But the adjustments he’s made are substantive and are encouraging considering the likelihood that he and his long levers will likely need to make more of them down the line. Though none of them project to be especially loud, Cordell is closer to being a five-tool player than many other prospects gilded with such a title. I think he has a chance to be a second-division regular.

KATOH+ Projection for first six years: 2.8 WAR

See, I couldn't disagree more. I don't like this much at all. We've already got like 2-3 guys that can play center field. Presumably, this guy will come up and play left when Melky is gone, but Adam Engel is actually deserving of playing time right now and I think when Garcia returns, he deserves another chance as well.

I get the Swarzak was signed as a minor league FA, but let's not ignore what he accomplished up here; nor should we ignore his stuff. Dude can bring mid-90's heat with a wicked slider that he currently has penchant for locating wherever the hell he wants. I'm frustrated by this idea of comparing the value a player had when he was initially signed with the value he received back when traded. What we need to be considering is the value the player has given his current performance.

If that means we get some mediocre prospect who might become a 4th OFer if he's lucky, I'd prefer to just f***ing let the guy close for the rest of the year and see if he'll resign with you.

I should probably wait until I actually see this guy play, because it sounds like he is one hell of an athlete, but we are not short on athletes, from what I understand.

What more could you honestly expect for a 2-3 month rental of swarzak? There are a bunch of relievers on the market right now, and Cordell still had some upside. Sox were not getting a better prospect than we got.

Watching a couple videos, looks like he has good bat speed but the swing gets long. Really lean. Definitely has good power behind the swing, as he absolutely murders a mistake for a grand slam

And with how he was previously used with Texas, I could see the Sox moving him around the field to get him ABs too. Not that I have ways of seeing range and arm strength and whatever else, but he didn't make many errors anywhere he played, save his initial stint at 3B in 2015 with the Rangers.

Considering this was a move for a guy who signed a minor league contract, yes, I'm just fine with this move. Guessing the White Sox looked over all the guys that teams were offering them, came to the conclusion no one was going to offer more, and picked the guy for whom they had the highest projection.

I was completely with you on the last deal but don't agree with you here. Thought I do completely agree with the bolded. One, I like Kahnle's stuff a lot better but even so the big difference is the control left. If Anthony continued to dominate the rest of this season then I'm guessing he ends up elsewhere in the offseason. Comp pick and all that jazz but I like taking a chance on a guy like this for 2 months of Swarzak.

Why would you even care to re-sign him? Next year is a wash and the year after will he even be good anymore? If there were some intriguing young arms being offered Im confident that Hahn would have jumped on it. Once again there is a lot of over estimation of realistic pieces that Hahn was likely being offered. Reality is probably far from all the assumptions that are being made.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:12 PM)
What more could you honestly expect for a 2-3 month rental of swarzak? There are a bunch of relievers on the market right now, and Cordell still had some upside. Sox were not getting a better prospect than we got.

Swarzak has been pretty f***ing good this year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:17 PM)
Why would you even care to re-sign him? Next year is a wash and the year after will he even be good anymore? If there were some intriguing young arms being offered Im confident that Hahn would have jumped on it. Once again there is a lot of over estimation of realistic pieces that Hahn was likely being offered. Reality is probably far from all the assumptions that are being made.

Because he might actually be good? If you sign the guy and let him close for you (we still do need, like a closer and s***, even though we suck) and he does well, then you trade him for something more than Cordell?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:17 PM)
I was completely with you on the last deal but don't agree with you here. Thought I do completely agree with the bolded. One, I like Kahnle's stuff a lot better but even so the big difference is the control left. If Anthony continued to dominate the rest of this season then I'm guessing he ends up elsewhere in the offseason. Comp pick and all that jazz but I like taking a chance on a guy like this for 2 months of Swarzak.

The Sox were never going to get a comp pick for Swarzak. They'd have to potentially commit $18 million or so to get a comp pick for him. They had to get what they could, and they got a solid prospect for him.

I don't love this move, but as I said earlier, I'm perfectly fine with it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:16 PM)
Watching a couple videos, looks like he has good bat speed but the swing gets long. Really lean. Definitely has good power behind the swing, as he absolutely murders a mistake for a grand slam

And with how he was previously used with Texas, I could see the Sox moving him around the field to get him ABs too. Not that I have ways of seeing range and arm strength and whatever else, but he didn't make many errors anywhere he played, save his initial stint at 3B in 2015 with the Rangers.

Considering this was a move for a guy who signed a minor league contract, yes, I'm just fine with this move. Guessing the White Sox looked over all the guys that teams were offering them, came to the conclusion no one was going to offer more, and picked the guy for whom they had the highest projection.

Why does this matter?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:19 PM)
Because he might actually be good? If you sign the guy and let him close for you (we still do need, like a closer and s***, even though we suck) and he does well, then you trade him for something more than Cordell?

What is stopping the Sox from signing him again in the offseason? Beyond that, maybe the Sox keep him, have him close down the stretch, and another team closer to contention offers him a 1 year, $10 million deal with the guarantee of closing, in which case the Sox lose him for nothing.

There are a lot of moving parts in that, and at the end of the day, they got a talented, high floor, low ceiling prospect for him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:19 PM)
The Sox were never going to get a comp pick for Swarzak. They'd have to potentially commit $18 million or so to get a comp pick for him. They had to get what they could, and they got a solid prospect for him.

I don't love this move, but as I said earlier, I'm perfectly fine with it.

Had a brain fart, thanks for the correction.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:21 PM)
What is stopping the Sox from signing him again in the offseason? Beyond that, maybe the Sox keep him, have him close down the stretch, and another team closer to contention offers him a 1 year, $10 million deal with the guarantee of closing, in which case the Sox lose him for nothing.

There are a lot of moving parts in that, and at the end of the day, they got a talented, high floor, low ceiling prospect for him.

Fair point.

Like I said, I should probably see Cordell a bit before spazzing out but I just see no need for him. We have 25 other guys with 4th OFer potential like this already.

That's why we f***ing suck.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:19 PM)

He is a free agent in three months. They can still resign him if they want at the end of the year. Not trading him for the best offer now is just flat out irresponsible.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
Fair point.

Like I said, I should probably see Cordell a bit before spazzing out but I just see no need for him. We have 25 other guys with 4th OFer potential like this already.

Well that, and the fact that they've traded away like 20 WAR worth of players for minor leaguers in the last 8 months.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
Fair point.

Sounds like super sub is his floor, not ceiling.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
Well that, and the fact that they've traded away like 20 WAR worth of players for minor leaguers in the last 8 months.

We pretty much decided two divisions (Sale and Q), and probably the Yankees at least securing a wild card. Not bad!!!