Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

I understand that he played in the PCL this year, however his numbers are better than any of our guys at Charlotte, this year.

When you also consider his defensive prowess and good speed, he is not a bad prospect.

How long has he been concentrating exclusively on hitting, as he was a two way player, earlier in his career?

I'd like to see the Sox employ him in LF and Engel in CF, next season, while Rutherford, Jimenez and Robert get some seasoning in the Minors.

Edited by Lillian

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 12:22 AM)
I understand that he played in the PCL this year, however his numbers are better than any of our guys at Charlotte, this year.

When also consider his defensive prowess and good speed, he is not a bad prospect.

How long has he been concentrating exclusively on hitting, as he was a two way player, earlier in his career?

If folks use the PCL and altitude as deal breakers on a hitters talent then no one from the PCL would make it to the bigs

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)
Cordell will probably slot in between Sheets and Basabe so #18 in our system. A short cup of coffee for Nicky D on our top prospect list...just like Yrizzari before him.

Cordell seems like a slightly better Delmonico who can actually play solid defense. Could be a solid forth outfielder on a contending team.

This was a fantastic return. I honestly can't believe Hahn got anything that he could possibly flip or maybe even a guy who could stick. It's a lotto to cket and not a powerball ticket but still pretty awesome if you win either.

This Cordell guy will be intriguing to watch if he can clear up the back issues. His stats include some power numbers and he's MLB ready at 25. Like somebody said bring him up when Melky gets traded and give him a month of at bats.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
This was a fantastic return. I honestly can't believe Hahn got anything that he could possibly flip or maybe even a guy who could stick. It's a lotto to cket and not a powerball ticket but still pretty awesome if you win either.

See, I couldn't disagree more. I don't like this much at all. We've already got like 2-3 guys that can play center field. Presumably, this guy will come up and play left when Melky is gone, but Adam Engel is actually deserving of playing time right now and I think when Garcia returns, he deserves another chance as well.

Would have much rather gotten an intriguing arm or something.

I get the Swarzak was signed as a minor league FA, but let's not ignore what he accomplished up here; nor should we ignore his stuff. Dude can bring mid-90's heat with a wicked slider that he currently has penchant for locating wherever the hell he wants. I'm frustrated by this idea of comparing the value a player had when he was initially signed with the value he received back when traded. What we need to be considering is the value the player has given his current performance.

If that means we get some mediocre prospect who might become a 4th OFer if he's lucky, I'd prefer to just f***ing let the guy close for the rest of the year and see if he'll resign with you.

I should probably wait until I actually see this guy play, because it sounds like he is one hell of an athlete, but we are not short on athletes, from what I understand.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:45 PM)
Any idea how close he is to returning?

I wonder if the delay in official annocument has to do with medicals. Bruce Levine (FWIW) did say it wouldn't be announced tonight. Back issues aren't exactly ideal.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 01:04 AM)
Part of me thinks Kenny just decided to move Swarzak to Milwaukee to piss off the Cubs.

Thing is, consensus seems to be that a lot of scouts really like him. He's probably a better bet to contribute at the MLB level than a lot of the bigger name Brewers guys that forgot how to hit this year.