Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:27 PM)
He is a free agent in three months. They can still resign him if they want at the end of the year. Not trading him for the best offer now is just flat out irresponsible.

No it isn't.

Think about it this way. You say, Yo, Anthony, how about we allow you to close for us for the remainder of the year. We are also going to offer you a 1/$5 million contract for next year.

Maybe he takes it. Maybe he continues to pitch this way.

To me, it's a gamble worth taking.

I mean, we will sign some relievers in the offseason. Not saying we can't sign Swarzak if we trade him, but you might be able to get him on the cheap if you do it now.

But instead, we now have another 4th OFer. YAY!

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:28 PM)
Well that, and the fact that they've traded away like 20 WAR worth of players for minor leaguers in the last 8 months.

We f***ing sucked before we traded 20 WAR worth of players away for minor leaguers.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:33 PM)
No it isn't.

Think about it this way. You say, Yo, Anthony, how about we allow you to close for us for the remainder of the year. We are also going to offer you a 1/$5 million contract for next year.

I mean, we will sign some relievers in the offseason. Not saying we can't sign Swarzak if we trade him, but you might be able to get him on the cheap if you do it now.

We're undoubtedly better off hoping to unearth more Kahnle's with at least 3 years of team control remaining...I get your point though, there's a ton of contending teams willing to give $15-30 million contracts (look at Zach Duke, for God's sake) for 7th and 8th inning guys now. Even more for "elite" ones.

Heck, the Royals gave Soria four years and almost $25 million, despite his age, wear and tear, and with all the injuries/surgeries he's had.

(Teams like the Indians and Cubs, even, are blowing 7-8 run leads in the heat of pennant races, too).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)
Wow. I really didn't think he had any value at all. Nice

What the f*** game are you watching?

He's been the 7th best reliever in baseball this year.

Think about that. Out of basically 200 relievers, he is #7.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:33 PM)
No it isn't.

The alternative is nothing, and they can still resign the guy. If he keeps this up he will price himself out out the Sox rebuild plans anyway. Swarzak knows that he could be looking at a multiple year deal already. No reason for him to take a 1 year deal now anyway.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:41 PM)
Did you watch the playoffs last year?

yeah...not sure what you're expecting back for a guy that's finally made a decent name for himself that's going to be a FA? Your expectations seem pretty unrealistic...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:03 PM)
See, I couldn't disagree more. I don't like this much at all. We've already got like 2-3 guys that can play center field. Presumably, this guy will come up and play left when Melky is gone, but Adam Engel is actually deserving of playing time right now and I think when Garcia returns, he deserves another chance as well.

Would have much rather gotten an intriguing arm or something.

I get the Swarzak was signed as a minor league FA, but let's not ignore what he accomplished up here; nor should we ignore his stuff. Dude can bring mid-90's heat with a wicked slider that he currently has penchant for locating wherever the hell he wants. I'm frustrated by this idea of comparing the value a player had when he was initially signed with the value he received back when traded. What we need to be considering is the value the player has given his current performance.

If that means we get some mediocre prospect who might become a 4th OFer if he's lucky, I'd prefer to just f***ing let the guy close for the rest of the year and see if he'll resign with you.

I should probably wait until I actually see this guy play, because it sounds like he is one hell of an athlete, but we are not short on athletes, from what I understand.

So I think the reality is...when a guy is just a few months removed from being a minimal signing, you just can't disconnect trade value, etc and expect current production. In the case of Kanhle, there was more dynamics at play, since we had him under control for a few more years...but in the case of Swarzak, relievers are highly volatile, and while stuff is there, the guy is old and a free agent at the end of the year, with minimal track record of success. You just can't expect to get "current production" sales price for someone who has only produced for a couple months who is going to walk at the end of the year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
So I think the reality is...when a guy is just a few months removed from being a minimal signing, you just can't disconnect trade value, etc and expect current production. In the case of Kanhle, there was more dynamics at play, since we had him under control for a few more years...but in the case of Swarzak, relievers are highly volatile, and while stuff is there, the guy is old and a free agent at the end of the year, with minimal track record of success. You just can't expect to get "current production" sales price for someone who has only produced for a couple months who is going to walk at the end of the year.

We heard yesterday the likely value was a top 150ish guy or so...

We basically got someone closer to top 350-400.

But the whole goddamned board wants to keep rationalizing and justifying that guys with good stuff that have eras in the low 2's in a year where we're seeing the most home runs basically EVER are worth NOTHING.

Bulls***.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)

But the whole goddamned board wants to keep rationalizing and justifying that guys with good stuff that have eras in the low 2's in a year where we're seeing the most home runs basically EVER are worth NOTHING.

Bulls***.

that's ok...let it out stud...we're here for ya *man hugs* :D

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:54 PM)
People really seem to be sleeping on this kid. His ceiling is way higher than 4th OF. I was somewhat dissapointed with the Robertson/Kahnle/Frazier return, but I think this is a really nice return for Swarzak given how loaded the market is right now with relievers.

For instance, I'd have much rather had Diplan. At least there may be a need for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:58 PM)
Anthomy Swazak is not Miller or Chapman. Not even close. He doesn't have the history, nor are his numbers THAT good this season.

Because I said he was Miller or Chapman.

Other pitchers pitched in the postseason other than Miller or Chapman.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:59 PM)
Because I said he was Miller or Chapman.

Other pitchers pitched in the postseason other than Miller or Chapman.

comp then for who what traded and for what?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)

Bulls***.

You honestly think haha dealt swarzak on the first trade conversation he made with a team and didn't check the market? They got what they could for a pure rental reliever. I hope Cordell pans out big time.

You get a guy who is 100% cinch to make the major leagues, has a very good chance to be at worst a nice bench piece, but has realistic upside as a good everyday player. What the hell is the problem? You just traded Anthony Swarzak!

The skeptics of these reliever deals always seem to think about the what if's based on the reliever pitching that good indefinitely into the future. Swarzak was 2 or 3 s***ty outings from losing all of his value. You have to get something for him and we got a real piece back for him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:57 PM)
For instance, I'd have much rather had Diplan. At least there may be a need for him.

How is there not a need for a CF? I know we all sit here and plug Robert in as our long-term CF, but the reality he may not stick there. Might as well use the next two years and see if someone goes out and runs away with the job. And I'd rather have multiple options than automatically give Engel 1,200 plate appearances.

I don't know, I just find this kid super interesting. Pretty good tools across the board, pretty decent track record of hitting throughout the minors, and has consistently been just outside the top 10 in two very deep systems. The fact the Brewers are loaded with OF talent made him expendable and those are the types of guys you target with a piece like Swarzak. This kid has the chance to be a legit everyday CF and pretty much right away. What more could you ask for a rental reliever with a very limited track record in a buyer's market?