Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

Overvaluing players based on fWAR....Leury Garcia is worth $12-13 million for half a season, theoretically.

If healthy, what would he bring back in trade as 3rd highest sabes guy on MLB roster?

Otoh, Sale was worth even more, if that was possible.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:14 PM)
You get a guy who is 100% cinch to make the major leagues, has a very good chance to be at worst a nice bench piece, but has realistic upside as a good everyday player. What the hell is the problem? You just traded Anthony Swarzak!

The skeptics of these reliever deals always seem to think about the what if's based on the reliever pitching that good indefinitely into the future. Swarzak was 2 or 3 s***ty outings from losing all of his value. You have to get something for him and we got a real piece back for him.

Stop acting like there is some infinite number of baseball lineups the White Sox need to fill.

They have one team.

We have an actual mlb organization, you know. We have lots of guys that "can make the major leagues."

Do you know that Anthony Swarzak was "in" the major leagues already? And dominating?

But we'll keep trading good "actual" major league players for guys that can "make" the major leagues, with "ceilings" that are really high!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:19 PM)
Stop acting like there is some infinite number of baseball lineups the White Sox need to fill.

They have one team.

We have an actual mlb organization, you know. We have lots of guys that "can make the major leagues."

Do you know that Anthony Swarzak was "in" the major leagues already? And dominating?

But we'll keep trading good "actual" major league players for guys that can "make" the major leagues, with "ceilings" that are really high!

Based on the theory we can actually draft/evaluate like the Cubs, Astros, Brewers, Padres, Royals (late 2000's), Yankees, Braves...

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:18 PM)
How is there not a need for a CF? I know we all sit here and plug Robert in as our long-term CF, but the reality he may not stick there. Might as well use the next two years and see if someone goes out and runs away with the job. And I'd rather have multiple options than automatically give Engel 1,200 plate appearances.

I don't know, I just find this kid super interesting. Pretty good tools across the board, pretty decent track record of hitting throughout the minors, and has consistently been just outside the top 10 in two very deep systems. The fact the Brewers are loaded with OF talent made him expendable and those are the types of guys you target with a piece like Swarzak. This kid has the chance to be a legit everyday CF and pretty much right away. What more could you ask for a rental reliever with a very limited track record in a buyer's market?

I am thinking more of Adam Engel and Leury Garcia and the guys we already have that seem to be doing the exact same thing that we "hope" this kid can do.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:26 PM)
Shack did you expect a rebuild to be different? Swarzak off all people in the rebuild that has put you over the ledge? Cmon dude, not now.

I didn't expect to trade two of the better relievers in baseball for s***, no.

If Cordell hits .275/.330/440 with good D in CF, by the time Robert, Rutherford and Eloy are ready they can just flip him for even more.. or a SP, or bullpen help, or an infielder.. then we can just add that to this deal.

If he doesn't we traded 3 months of a good rental reliever in a year where he might accidently drop us from top 3 pick range by pitching well for a guy with potential. Not a big deal

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:27 PM)
I didn't expect to trade two of the better relievers in baseball for s***, no.

The league has never seen Swarzak as one of the better relievers, that is what counts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:19 PM)

They have one team.

You are one of my fav posters but you're getting bent out of shape for nothing. Swarzak pitched great and the Sox are fortunate that he did . Everyone else has pointed out the reasons so no need for me to rehash it.

As far as the Sox having a multitude of guys like Cordell I just don't think it's true. There is currently no one in the OF in the upper levels who has good pop and can actually field and also has speed.That's what separates him from guys like Engel, May, Tilson, Leury who alll have speed but can't hit for power. The Sox have been targeting power hitters and OBP in the last 2 drafts. If I use my rose colored glasses and ignore that most of his power came playing in Colorado he still has more power than the current crop of upper level minor league OF's plus has the same if not better tools than the aforementioned players all vying for OF spots.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:33 PM)
You are one of my fav posters but you're getting bent out of shape for nothing. Swarzak pitched great and the Sox are fortunate that he did . Everyone else has pointed out the reasons so no need for me to rehash it.

As far as the Sox having a multitude of guys like Cordell I just don't think it's true. There is currently no one in the OF in the upper levels who has good pop and can actually field and also has speed.That's what separates him from guys like Engel, May, Tilson, Leury who alll have speed but can't hit for power. The Sox have been targeting power hitters and OBP in the last 2 drafts. If I use my rose colored glasses and ignore that most of his power came playing in Colorado he still has more power than the current crop of upper level minor league OF's plus has the same if not better tools than the aforementioned players all vying for OF spots.

I get bent out of shape because people are sheep.

They go on record as saying they expect X return for a player, and then they justify Y * s*** return with a bunch of nonsensical justifications.

I may certainly be wrong, but at least I have a mind of my own.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:39 PM)
I get bent out of shape because people are sheep.

They go on record as saying they expect X return for a player, and then they justify Y * s*** return with a bunch of nonsensical justifications.

I may certainly be wrong, but at least I have a mind of my own.

I don't think anyone was expecting much for Swarzak though. A guy in a system's 8 - 15 range was what I was hoping for and that's what we got. Given the strength of the Brewers system, I would argue that Cordell is a top 200 prospect.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:43 PM)
I don't think anyone was expecting much for Swarzak though. A guy in a system's 8 - 15 range was what I was hoping for and that's what we got. Given the strength of the Brewers system, I would argue that Cordell is a top 200 prospect.

Their number 5 prospect, Keston Hiura (just drafted), is mlbpipeline's #97 prospect in baseball.

By their estimation, I would bet he is far worse than #200.

I'm tired of arguing, but a guy that is 7th in WAR for relievers at the end of July should get better than this.

Case closed.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:47 PM)
Their number 5 prospect, Keston Hiura (just drafted), is mlbpipeline's #97 prospect in baseball.

I'm tired of arguing, but a guy that is 7th in WAR for relievers at the end of July should get better than this.

Case closed.

What exactly were you expecting? Do you like the OF prospect the Mariners gave up better than Cordell?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 10:47 PM)

Case closed.

Economics 101 - Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:50 PM)
What exactly were you expecting? Do you like the OF prospect the Mariners gave up better than Cordell?

Let me ask you this...

If we were a contending team, and we needed an arm in the bullpen, and we went out and traded Adam Engel for a guy that has performed as well as Swarzak has, how would you feel?

Soxtalk would have been f***ing ecstatic about such a deal.

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)
Economics 101 - Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Economics 201 - the mlb trade market is not an efficient market. See my primer posted two weeks ago and learn.