Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
Longenhagen had him as the 12st best prospect in a pretty solid Brewers system. I really like the fact that he's essentially major league ready and actually has good all-round tools. There is some upside here and for a team that could be patching together an OF for the next two years, he's a great guy to gamble on.

Yep - We have the luxury of time too. He isn't getting in anyone's way (in terms of taking AB's) and we can be patient with him to see if we have something (or not).

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)
Meh. Certainly not exciting but whatever. Looks like he is currently on DL.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
This is exactly what I was thinking. Melky might not be here very long.

So anyone what's his DL status?

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:42 PM)
This guy is realistically perfect for where we are in the rebuild. Let him soak up ABs and if he becomes something, great. Were he an A-ball guy he'd be stuck in the logjam down there.

I don't mind the return, as Cordell will very likely get a shot with the major league club. Scouting report suggests he can play all three outfield positions, has some pop and solid speed. A little old for a prospect, but I really can't complain given how many relievers we're on the market. Good move.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)
I circled 8 names on the roster at the break. 5 are gone. Melky, Gonzalez, and Holland are left.

Holland might be wishful thinking.

Meh... we have to have someone eat up innings. Don't wanna bring the kids up and burn them out. Keep Holland and Shields.

Looks like he's more well rounded than Tilson, and much more likely to pan out than Basabe. Average to above average tools across the board, and Longenhagen thinks he a more true 5 tools player than many players with that label.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)
initial reaction is yuck. Would rather some 19 year old in low A.

So you would take another Basabe? I would rank this guy over Basabe in our top 30 right now.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:54 PM)
The more I look into this guy the more I like it. Didn't realize he's 6' 4" 205 and can apparently run.

It's interesting that he can play every outfield position, third base and first base reasonably well. That sort of versatility can be valuable.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:54 PM)
The more I look into this guy the more I like it. Didn't realize he's 6' 4" 205 and can apparently run.

A good athlete apparently. Good catch on the frame, might hit for more power in the next couple of years as he gets more comfortable with the refined swing.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
This guy looks like a much better hitter

I don't know about that. Colorado Springs is a pretty nice place to hit. He really has no skill that stands out. Chances are he is nothing but a 4th OF at best, but it's for 2 months service of a guy the Sox don't need so fine, roll the dice.

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:03 PM)
I'm fine with the return, but his home/road splits are pretty concerning.

Home (Colorado Springs): 1.059 OPS

Away: .673 OPS

Yeah his league is definitely the main concern. Wonder if it's like the coors effect at all. Lot of research has been done saying even objectively good hitters tend to have extremely home/road splits away from high altitudes. Look at Fowler, he actually got better leaving coors.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:06 PM)
Yeah his league is definitely the main concern. Wonder if it's like the coors effect at all. Lot of research has been done saying even objectively good hitters tend to have extremely home/road splits away from high altitudes. Look at Fowler, he actually got better leaving coors.

The PCL is loaded with good places to hit. But Charlotte is a pretty nice place to hit as well.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:06 PM)

The hangover effect is real. Having said that, I'm not overly concerned about his stats. This is about gambling on a guy with plus speed & bat speed that can actually play CF. Given that Robert is the only big name prospect who might be able to stick in CF long-term, I think it's worth having another option (and one with some upside) who can push Engel & Leury for playing time these next two years.