Frazier to Boston Rumors getting heavy

whitesoxwinner

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 09:58 PM)
This is the allegedly reputable Boston guy w 21k followers:

https://twitter.com/bostonstrong_34/status/...145436523442176

"Source;Red Sox had a deal in place with the White Sox for Todd Frazier but something was wrong on the medical from a player going to Chicago"

That's exactly what rabbit said too. Wonder why it's still being held up - or maybe it's been expanded to include a reliever.

Edited by Username

I just read what "Beautox" suggested, in the thread on "Todd and Melky". If his facts are all correct, his suggestion makes sense to me and it would constitute a realistic way to acquire the kinds of prospects, for which we're all hoping. It's an intriguing scenario, involving salary cap relief to the Red Sox.

Edited by Lillian

I think Jed Lowrie still makes a ton of sense for the Red Sox. Has a cheap option for next season and you gotta remember, Devers is only 20. They could make the case that they want to see him in AAA for a year. They can also trade Lowrie in the off-season/early next year if they want to see Devers for most of the season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
I think Jed Lowrie still makes a ton of sense for the Red Sox. Has a cheap option for next season and you gotta remember, Devers is only 20. They could make the case that they want to see him in AAA for a year. They can also trade Lowrie in the off-season/early next year if they want to see Devers for most of the season.

I think that you're right, and that Lowrie certainly could work for the BoSox. However, our Sox could provide something, which Oakland could not and that is the kind of salary relief, which "Beautox" suggested. That may explain what is taking so long for this to materialize. The financial aspects of such a deal would require some pretty complex considerations.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
I think that you're right, and that Lowrie certainly could work for the BoSox. However, our Sox could provide something, which Oakland could not and that is the kind of salary relief, which "Beautox" suggested. That may explain what is taking so long for this to materialize. The financial aspects of such a deal would require some pretty complex considerations.

That Sandoval would be coming over here? I kinda doubt it but think the Sox should be open to the idea if it means a better prospect haul.

It is interesting how many people think picking up Panda's contract is a good thing. A. Boston is flush with cash and not over the luxury tax. If these prospects are a bargain for $50 million, why would they be in the business of selling them? And B. JR just spent $50 million on a prospect. He certainly isn't going to spend $50 million on another, and neither would anyone here if they actually owned the team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 06:36 AM)
It is interesting how many people think picking up Panda's contract is a good thing. A. Boston is flush with cash and not over the luxury tax. If these prospects are a bargain for $50 million, why would they be in the business of selling them? And B. JR just spent $50 million on a prospect. He certainly isn't going to spend $50 million on another, and neither would anyone here if they actually owned the team.

+1,271,970 ninja post power points.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 06:36 AM)

They also just cut the player and ate $50 million after eating how much in re: Moncada?

It doesn't matter how you do it, it only matters that you do it.

The problem is Boston probably doesn't have the prospects outside of Devers to really entice us to take on Panda.

I suspect if Boston said, Rick, we will trade you Panda and Devers for Carson Fulmer, we would think about it very carefully.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 07:55 AM)
Todd has picked a bad time to go cold. .130 .310 .348 last 7 games. Would love a hot streak

I always wonder how much stock teams take into recent performance when making a deadline deal for a proven veteran player. Obviously, you watch him perform, make sure he doesn't look injured or anything, but you only get what he does for the following next 2 months, not what he did in the past. If Frazier hits ten homers from today until July 31, would it change his value in teams' eyes that significantly? Just the law of baseball averages and regression would tell you that he's not gonna keep hitting homers at the pace or anything similar.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
Could one of you please clarify this issue of Boston's financial condition and their over the limit tax status? It would save me the trouble of researching it.

From what I read, they can still pay new players up to $9 million for the remainder of the season, so around $20 million or so in actual salary.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 06:59 AM)
I always wonder how much stock teams take into recent performance when making a deadline deal for a proven veteran player. Obviously, you watch him perform, make sure he doesn't look injured or anything, but you only get what he does for the following next 2 months, not what he did in the past. If Frazier hits ten homers from today until July 31, would it change his value in teams' eyes that significantly? Just the law of baseball averages and regression would tell you that he's not gonna keep hitting homers at the pace or anything similar.

I think these GMs are only human. I'm sure they try to be rational about things, but still...I know the Cubs had a ton of discussions and analysis in regards to Q..and felt strongly he was the same guy as he has been. But the outings leading up to the trade probably didn't hurt, either.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)

You would like to get someone while they are hot, but there are so many factors, and track record is the best indicator. These guys are human. Trade rumors have to wear on them. And if they are cold now, chances are they will be hot later.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)

He may not spend $50M on one, but if it gets him a couple prospects I don't think that salary will stand in the way given the contract obligations the Sox have over the rest of his contract. Panda is still young(ish) and could bounce back to the point where you would be able to move him a year from now. He would not be the first player to go into Boston and struggle under the expectations and then rebound somewhere else.

If they are willing to include a good enough prospect haul in return, the Sox should absolutely consider it.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:11 AM)
Have to think at this point teams are trying to find a way to get Robertson involved in a deal. Feels like this Frazier to Boston talk started forever ago.

Totally agreed. If it's just a lower-level arm that failed a physical they would've probably figured it out by now.

My take? The Nationals traded for Madson and Doolittle roughly a day after the Frazier rumors started. Willing to bet the Red Sox were in on one of those two, and the Nats closing the deal has spurred them to go after DRob.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Totally agreed. If it's just a lower-level arm that failed a physical they would've probably figured it out by now.

My take? The Nationals traded for Madson and Doolittle roughly a day after the Frazier rumors started. Willing to bet the Red Sox were in on one of those two, and the Nats closing the deal has spurred them to go after DRob.

That makes sense. Would be very interested to see the kind of return we could get for both of those guys. Maybe Jay Groome and Josh Tobias?