Sox send Frazier/DRob/Kahnle to NY ~ Rutherford/Clarkin/Clippard/Polo

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the White Sox made this deal around getting Rutherford. Got rid of Robertson's salary for next season, Frazier had little/no value, and they cashed in on Kahnle.

Essentially Kahnle and Robertson for Rutherford.

Doesn't sound like the 2 other minor league players offer much value, but Hahn may have so high on Rutherford, this could be a trade for a prospect he wanted vs. a quantity deal.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:06 PM)
Todd Frazier wouldn't buy you a bus ticket in this market

Robertson isn't Chapman or Miller

Kahnle is essentially Nate Jones from a couple years ago (sell high before injury/implosion)

If that nets me a top 40 prospect that could continue to trend up, a LH starting pitcher w pretty good stuff and another low level lottery ticket...sign me up every single time.

this. can't believe how much people are overvaluing who we just moved. People thrilled about moving Quintana - a true ace on any team but they get mad about getting a top prospect for spare parts. lol

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 03:16 AM)
Sounds like the White Sox made this deal around getting Rutherford. Got rid of Robertson's salary for next season, Frazier had little/no value, and they cashed in on Kahnle.

Essentially Kahnle and Robertson for Rutherford.

Doesn't sound like the 2 other minor league players offer much value, but Hahn may have so high on Rutherford, this could be a trade for a prospect he wanted vs. a quantity deal.

Clarkin is far from filler

If I'm not mistaken, the last groundballing lefty starter from the NYY, albeit a minor league free agent contract, was someone by the name of Jose Quintana after he was suspended for PEDs. I have faith in this deal.

Edited by Soxnfins

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:11 PM)
Matt Thornton was pretty terrific pre White Sox and mechanic adjustment as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:11 PM)
Or Jose Contreras...or Matt Thornton.

The question is how well Kanhle handles the Bronx pressure cooker.

I tried to do my best to limit Coop adjustments. Coop, even like 15 years into this, is still one of the best in the game, and always will be, until he dies or retires. Some guys take to adjustments, some guys don't, some of it's Coop's fault, some if it's the pitcher's fault, some of it is s*** that can't be fixed. It happens.

Coop is awesome.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:13 PM)
Come on. Obviously the return matters, but we are absolutely overvaluing the pieces we're giving up here if you expect multiple top prospects to come back.

It's not outrageous to want one more good piece when you're trading two very good relievers and taking back some money as well. I'm not going to flip out if the last piece isn't a top talent as I'll be thrilled to have Rutherford but overall the deal would feel a little light to me. It's possible that some people overvalued Kahnle or Robertson but it's also possible some of you guys are undervaluing them, who knows. Like I said, I'll be thrilled to have Blake but overall not going to be thrilled about the deal.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 08:55 PM)
I see no reason why the White Sox couldn't just eat that Headley contract for next year to get better prospects. We have no money committed for next year. The Yankees are trying to get under the luxury tax for next year.

Luis Robert acquisition is my guess at why they aren't eating a ton of money.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:15 PM)
Turning Frazier, Robertson and kahnle into Rutherford, clarkin, polo and clippard it's a great move by hahn and co

No money expected to change hands

I think it's a touch light.

I thought D Rob was a 70-100 guy plus a fringe; Same with Kahnle.

so instead it would be 1 30-50 guy and 2 fringes;

So nothing for Frazier (although I guess it could be Frazier for Clippard, but that wouldn't be in the Sox interests). They will have a low payroll next year - they should be able to eat some money.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:18 PM)

I love Boston homers more than I love any other homer. Dombrowski's reputation is to take over talented teams with good farm systems and then just f***ing destroy them for a 2-5 year run. Ask Dombrowski how the Tigers are doing right now.

I guess the big difference with some people is that they rate Tommy Kahlne differently. I view him as a good as Andrew Miller but with not with the consistent pedigree. Have a consistent pedigree is huge though when talking relievers. Link of Fangraphs Article today below.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-white-s...jor-trade-chip/

Another difference though is that Kahlne will be cheaper than Miller moving forward with Miller making another 2/18 after the time of the trade. Kahlne still has all three years of arbitration left which if he does really well will equal what 3/15. Remember what happend to Dellon Betances.

Then on top of it you add the additional value of David Robertson and Todd Frazier( even if marginal) with taking back Clippard.

In my opinion, you should be able to match or get better value than what the Yankees got for Miller last year at the deadline. Rutherford is a good start but you need at least another 2 intriguing pieces to get me excited.