Melky thread

Jake

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
Wite, is it possible a player's WAR could be somewhat significantly disconnected though from his actual impact on wins and losses in a given season?

Yes, and Delmon Young was a fairly clutch player that year, so perhaps the WAR on a whole undervalues exactly what he did on the field that year. Given his clutch stats, you could make an argument that he was a 2.5 to 3.0 WAR player with context added to his season.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:05 PM)
So what do you think? Traded by Monday afternoon, or August waiver deal? Starting to think the latter.

I don't think the Sox can afford to keep him past the deadline. Whatever team claims him can just refuse to give any prospects because the White Sox would have no leverage. They'll be forced to hold on to him or let him go for salary relief.

Someone will give us something for him. He is a solid bench option if nothing else. We don't want to chip any $ in I'm sure so we are just waiting until the deadline so he is owed less $. No one is willing to pay an extra $100,000/game for him but they will before August 1st. I would think we get two prospects similar to the last 2 in the Cubs Q trade.

Call me crazy, just a hunch, even though the market may not align, a Melky trade may surprise some people. Maybe similar to what Beltran went from NYM to SFG for Zack Wheeler back in '11. Similar age, similar numbers, similar below average defensive skills (range), similar salary (Beltran may have been at 16 or 17M at the time), and both rentals. Granted Beltran played CF/RF at the time.may be too optimistic, but hey, have to have a comparison to something.

Edited by Soxnfins

Who would be in the market for Melky? He's having a pretty year, but I keep hearing that OF's are not needed by the contending teams, and his defense is not good.

If the market is as thin as it's being made out to be, can't see them getting much more than a low level prospect and maybe some minor salary relief.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 10:53 PM)
Who would be in the market for Melky? He's having a pretty year, but I keep hearing that OF's are not needed by the contending teams, and his defense is not good.

If the market is as thin as it's being made out to be, can't see them getting much more than a low level prospect and maybe some minor salary relief.

We traded Adam Dunn for a bit of salary relief and Nolan Sanburn after the waiver wire deadline, that's pretty much what I expect. 99.5% of the time the guy we'll get back in a deal like this will be filler and we'll save a couple million.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
I hope the Sox are willing to eat the ~$5M and try to actually get something interesting back.

I'm sure the salary will be a talking point, but it's not always as simple as "Sox should eat salary to get a better return". While in essence I agree, we should always try to get the best return possible, the Sox can only eat so much money before it stops making sense.

The Sox splurged and spent more than $50 million on the Robert signing, which is very significant for the franchise.

It was key to save roughly $20 million in the Frazier/DRob/Kahnle deal to help offset some of that cost, although it likely resulted in the return being a bit less than we would have liked.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)
I'm sure the salary will be a talking point, but it's not always as simple as "Sox should eat salary to get a better return". While in essence I agree, we should always try to get the best return possible, the Sox can only eat so much money before it stops making sense.

The Sox splurged and spent more than $50 million on the Robert signing, which is very significant for the franchise.

It was key to save roughly $20 million in the Frazier/DRob/Kahnle deal to help offset some of that cost, although it likely resulted in the return being a bit less than we would have liked.

Yeah and a team could easily say that they want to take on all/most of the contract in order to give up less.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
Yeah and a team could easily say that they want to take on all/most of the contract in order to give up less.

True. I didn't mean it in absolutes, but moreso that I hope we're open to eating a good chunk of his salary IF it improves the return.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
I hope the Sox are willing to eat the ~$5M and try to actually get something interesting back.

It is going to be their only hope of getting something done, though I have close to zero expectations either way based on what JD Martinez brought.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:05 PM)
So what do you think? Traded by Monday afternoon, or August waiver deal? Starting to think the latter.

I would hope we'd kick in cash where appropriate to get something attractive. This team isn't going to be spending much money the next two years. I would think we act by July 31st. August would be more along the lines of a guy like Clippard (if he got rolling) or maybe a Miguel Gonzalez / Holland / etc.

Just gonna leave this here:

https://rumbunter.com/2017/07/26/pittsburgh...-melky-cabrera/

Edit: after reading this, he really does make a lot of sense for the Pirates, especially the part where if they got hot and reached the post-season, Marte would be unavailable. Assuming the Sox ate close to all of the remaining salary in a deal with the Pirates, are we looking at a guy or two in the 15-30 range of their prospects?

Edited by soxfan2014

Angels have zero farm system, but I predict they will at least inquire about Melky (they have been struggling though so pretty unlikely they can make the wild card, but for some reason I could see them talking). Their outfield (outside of Trout) is complete and utter trash. Calhoun is usually good but has had a very down year.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
True. I didn't mean it in absolutes, but moreso that I hope we're open to eating a good chunk of his salary IF it improves the return.

How often do the Sox actually give salary relief? Isn't that a no no with Jerry as owner? Isn't it very rare Jerry OKs paying players who play for other teams?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
How often do the Sox actually give salary relief? Isn't that a no no with Jerry as owner? Isn't it very rare Jerry OKs paying players who play for other teams?

They just gave it in the Robertson deal by bringing back Clippard.

Dunn, they released Keppinger with a decent amount of salary left (not a trade but still), Danks (again, not a trade but still paid for him to go away).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
Just gonna leave this here:

https://rumbunter.com/2017/07/26/pittsburgh...-melky-cabrera/

Edit: after reading this, he really does make a lot of sense for the Pirates, especially the part where if they got hot and reached the post-season, Marte would be unavailable. Assuming the Sox ate close to all of the remaining salary in a deal with the Pirates, are we looking at a guy or two in the 15-30 range of their prospects?

After following rumbunter for a couple months with anticipation of a potential Q trade to the Bucs I decided that I wish nothing but the worst for the Pirates just because of rumbunter.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
After following rumbunter for a couple months with anticipation of a potential Q trade to the Bucs I decided that I wish nothing but the worst for the Pirates just because of rumbunter.

If they want to believe they can make it into the post-season and offer us the most interesting piece for Cabrera and decide to trade for him, I'm ok with them falling flat on their faces afterwards.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)
They just gave it in the Robertson deal by bringing back Clippard.

Yeah but I thought they were actually paying Clippard. They took him to balance some of the money disparity, but technically the Sox are paying him and Yankees are paying the other overpaid guys they acquired. I thought generally speaking the Sox have a policy of sorts to not pay players who play for other teams.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 03:06 PM)
Yeah but I thought they were actually paying Clippard. They took him to balance some of the money disparity, but technically the Sox are paying him and Yankees are paying the other overpaid guys they acquired. I thought generally speaking the Sox have a policy of sorts to not pay players who play for other teams.

The Sox taking on Clippard is essentially the White Sox sending the Yankees $4 million.

Didn't they pay all of what was left on Teahen's deal when he was traded to Toronto?