A Star* is Born

Jose Abreu

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
If that's who he is, then he would be best suited for a career as a pinch hitter in the NL.

You have to like Delmonico but with less than 20 big league games under his belt I want to see how things develop before getting all giddy. Plus I don't see him replacing Abreu as our firstbaseman

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
You have to like Delmonico but with less than 20 big league games under his belt I want to see how things develop before getting all giddy. Plus I don't see him replacing Abreu as our firstbaseman

El Rockin you have been quiet of late.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 05:57 AM)
He really stood out in spring training where I saw him live.

What was his hit tool grade coming out of minors? What was Moncadas?

He did and the one thing that impressed me most in ST was he hit lefties for HR's also just like he did the other day. I realize other players need AB's and AB's against lefties will in all likelihood lower his batting average but I'd really to make sure he doesn't end up a guy only used against righties.

Didn't really spend time reading the responses - but no chance in hell Nicky Delmonico is a contributing member of this team in 2020. Every year there is someone new we think could be a player that sticks around on this board..

Last year it was Saladino and how he just had the "it" factor and knew how to play the game right. How he could play 3B for 3 seasons+ or be a starter on the diamond.

Saladino is just another 2-3 year UTIL player and will be gone soon. Same with Yolmer. There were positives earlier in the year and it got thrown around that HE could be the solution at UTIL. He is no better, actually probably worse than Saladino in my opinion.

Players than have a chance to contribute into 2020 currently on Sox:

Abreu - DH with some time (60) game at 1B

Moncada - temper expectations. #1 prospect means nothing now that he'll never be on that list again. He's just a former #1. He's going to be a slightly above average player with the chance to have a few really good years.

Anderson - Super UTIL - SS, 2B, 3B, CF - I give him next year to prove himself. Hopefully we wont need him as our starting SS. He's a guy who should play 90-100 games a year in UTIL role

Hansen - this is my hail mary. Let him play a lot next year. If it clicks? Good. I think he can play the super UTIL role then as well. For those of you who think this is crazy - he was a more highly touted prospect than the above Anderson. I'd be hard pressed to say in a full year that either is much better than the other.

Leury - Same - can fight for the super UTIL role.

Rodon - #2 or 3

N. Jones - set up man if not dealt

That's it in my mind.

Players who won't be on team or shouldn't be...

Avi - sorry. Don't want him. don't need him. He can be our 7-9 type of player, but don't want him as a key to our success.

Davidson - please don't tell me how MLB is an all or nothing league - he's a nothing. 35HRS a year doesn't mean s*** if you strikeout 35% of time

Delmonico - Nope.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
Didn't really spend time reading the responses - but no chance in hell Nicky Delmonico is a contributing member of this team in 2020. Every year there is someone new we think could be a player that sticks around on this board..

Last year it was Saladino and how he just had the "it" factor and knew how to play the game right. How he could play 3B for 3 seasons+ or be a starter on the diamond.

Saladino is just another 2-3 year UTIL player and will be gone soon. Same with Yolmer. There were positives earlier in the year and it got thrown around that HE could be the solution at UTIL. He is no better, actually probably worse than Saladino in my opinion.

Moncada - temper expectations. #1 prospect means nothing now that he'll never be on that list again. He's just a former #1. He's going to be a slightly above average player with the chance to have a few really good years.

Anderson - Super UTIL - SS, 2B, 3B, CF - I give him next year to prove himself. Hopefully we wont need him as our starting SS. He's a guy who should play 90-100 games a year in UTIL role

Hansen - this is my hail mary. Let him play a lot next year. If it clicks? Good. I think he can play the super UTIL role then as well. For those of you who think this is crazy - he was a more highly touted prospect than the above Anderson. I'd be hard pressed to say in a full year that either is much better than the other.

Rodon - #2 or 3

That's it in my mind.

Avi - sorry. Don't want him. don't need him. He can be our 7-9 type of player, but don't want him as a key to our success.

Davidson - please don't tell me how MLB is an all or nothing league - he's a nothing. 35HRS a year doesn't mean s*** if you strikeout 35% of time

Delmonico - Nope.

Anybody you do like? Or should we just rebuild the rebuild?

Where's the Debbie Downer pic when you need it. Let us Sox fans have our fun and dream in a dismal yet necessary season. Right now Nicky is a legend on twitter http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...ts-are-glorious

With the HR's including the inside the parker, the on base streak (White Sox rookie record) and the 3 bunt hits against the shift it's all just wonderful to behold. Throw in his good looks, great disposition and how long it's been since the Sox had a lefty masher and you can understand the giddiness about him.

A HR hitter who also bunts for hits ? It's crazy and the attention he is getting is well deserved.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Rodon - #2 or 3

That's it in my mind.

Delmonico - Nope.

So out of everyone Alen Hanson is the guy you are excited about? This is just bizarre.

Unless someone predicted Saladino was going to get a back injury I'm not apologizing for thinking he could stick as a low-level starter. He had improved last year to acceptable offense and was versatile defender and good base runner. Not someone you don't upgrade over, but the kind of production we had struggled to find internally for years.

Then he injured his back. Maybe that wasn't the cause, but it usually is. Congratulations, take a lap. A guy who needed every bit of his baseball talent to succeed injured himself making it unlikely he can return to that level.

Rodon - #2 or 3

That's it in my mind.

Delmonico - Nope.

I consider myself to be extremely pessimistic but I have to ask...why do you even watch if all it takes is a bad month or 2 for a guy to be completely done?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
I consider myself to be extremely pessimistic but I have to ask...why do you even watch if all it takes is a bad month or 2 for a guy to be completely done?

Scouts doing player analysis for a living miss on guys who make it and one's who don't. Fans are like riding a roller coaster. After a game last week, some fans were all excited about Moncada. This week, some have ditched the bandwagon. I see a lot of Red Sox games and the media and fans are enthralled w Devers since he is putting up Babe Ruth type numbers early on. By the time the playoffs arrive, he will probably be ice cold. I know Delmonico will also come down to reality. I just hope he ends up a .280/ 20 hr guy but even then he may be a problem defensively.

Soxtober 2020

12:17 Nicky Delmonico has a 0.9 WAR through 71 PAs. Obviously he's not going to be a 10 win player over the course of a full season but does he potentially have the tools to be an every day regular? If he continues to lay down bunts to beat the shift he could sustain a higher than average BABIP with a decent walk rate and some pop.

John

12:17 What the heck am I supposed to think about Nicky Delmonico?

Travis Sawchik

12:19 He's not this good, of course, but there's more reason to believe he could be a first-division player

link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
So out of everyone Alen Hanson is the guy you are excited about? This is just bizarre.

No, no, no, no, no. Did you not read his expert analysis?? He's a utility player at best. As is Leury. And Tim Anderson. And Moncada...

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)

I think those are pretty "realistic" projections. I stand by the post - may be a negative post, but stand by it.

Moncada isn't done - never said that. I said he's an above average player. Probably a few ASG, maybe 1 or 2 low end fringe MVP top 10 seasons. But he's not a build around star.

We can continue to make excuses for him, and I can be wrong on the exact stats - but he hasn't hit above .300 above A ball if I'm not mistaken. He oozes talent but I think will struggle to be a FRank Thomas, Konerko, Abreu type player. I think he fills in as a good starter though.

I know that with the hoopla surrounding him that people WANT to believe in more, I just don't think itll happen. And that's not based 100 MLB at bats. That's based on minor league stats mostly. And yes, I'm just behind a computer and never watched him live in A, AA or AAA, but I think there is something to be said that he didn't adjust all that well at lower levels of competition.

The rest of the guys? I'd guess the next most "out there" comment was the Anderson one. Hey, I like him as a competitor and person.

But you can only stack so many strikeout guys in one lineup and still be good. I know the game is moving towards all or nothing currently, but Anderson doesn't have enough ALL to make up for his nothing. He needs more power, speed, defense, etc. to make up for that. Again he can be your 7-9 guy, but that's about it. I think were a better team with him in a Javy Baez, Zobrist type role. Where he gest a bunch of games, but isn't a starter unless when he's on a hot streak. Just my opinion.

The rest of the guys? Delmonicos, Garcias, Sanchez, Davidsons? If you can find one to stick on the bench and maybe one to fill a role for 2020 ONLY? That's a win.

I don't think that's too pessimistic at all.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
No, no, no, no, no. Did you not read his expert analysis?? He's a utility player at best. As is Leury. And Tim Anderson. And Moncada...

Nope, if you go read any of my posts on Moncada they've all been the same. This board loves to ride the rollercoaster more than I do (in my mind). I don't buy into media hype or likewise when the media piles on a rough spot.

I personally never believed the #1 hype on Moncada. I think Kopech was and will be the best player in that deal. I think Moncada has a solid career ahead of him with the Sox - however I don't think hes a guy you build around. Not Trout, Machado, Frank Thomas, Konerko, etc.

I think he'll be a .260/20hr/20sb guy who walks and ko's a lot. I think he'll have a few random seasons where his numbers are really good and he makes ASG's and maybe like 10th in MVP voting. I also think he'll have years like Todd Frazier where he bats .220.

So just like this thread on Delomonico? I'm not riding the hype - and when Delmonico is sucking? I won't buy the low. He's a league average player at best. AT BEST. I just don't see him on this team at 2019.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)

Rodon - #2 or 3

That's it in my mind.

Delmonico - Nope.

I know our team truly does suck evidenced by the record, but I find it interesting that the only people we think are any good at all on the Sox are the prospects who've never had an at bat or a pitch in a real MLB game. I'd love to see some assessments of other teams' players. Is anybody acceptable if Jose Abreu is not acceptable? Is anybody acceptable if Avi is not? I'd like to see a list of players on other teams. For instance is Moustakas any good according to Sox fan standards? Is Hosmer? Is Salvy Perez? I know Salvy never walks, not sure about the other guys. Do the Royals (since they are just down the road) have any acceptable players at all by our soxtalk advanced stat standards? I know Escobar must suck in our eyes; Cain must suck in our eyes. Gordon obviously is trash. The advanced stat era isn't very fun cause most players suck.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
So just like this thread on Delomonico? I'm not riding the hype - and when Delmonico is sucking? I won't buy the low. He's a league average player at best. AT BEST. I just don't see him on this team at 2019.

I am totally ok with having league average players on my 2019 and 2020 contending teams. A big part of the problem the last 2 years was how many positions the White Sox had filled with guys who were substantially less than league average players, or at least how much they had to spend in money and talent to bring positions up to league average. If Delmonico is a "league average player" in 2020, he would be doing that for pre-arbitration dollars still. Give me a left handed hitting LF who puts up an .800 ish OPS to balance out being pretty weak defensively and that's a league average player and a guy who I'm ok with being on the team. We paid Melky Cabrera like $13 million a year to do that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
I know our team truly does suck evidenced by the record, but I find it interesting that the only people we think are any good at all on the Sox are the prospects who've never had an at bat or a pitch in a real MLB game. I'd love to see some assessments of other teams' players. Is anybody acceptable if Jose Abreu is not acceptable? Is anybody acceptable if Avi is not? I'd like to see a list of players on other teams. For instance is Moustakas any good according to Sox fan standards? Is Hosmer? Is Salvy Perez? I know Salvy never walks, not sure about the other guys. Do the Royals (since they are just down the road) have any acceptable players at all by our soxtalk advanced stat standards? I know Escobar must suck in our eyes; Cain must suck in our eyes. Gordon obviously is trash. The advanced stat era isn't very fun cause most players suck.

I have Abreu listed as our starting DH and splitting time at 1B when not at DH... I also listed him in the likes of Frank Thomas of guys you build a team around ...

And yes, I think Avi is a flash in the pan. It's not a crazy statement if you just flash back to last year when everybody just wanted to cut bait on him. Hopefully something clicked and he's realizing his potential like a JD Martinez did, but I just don't think he has. He still is a hack in the OF with a bullet arm.

I'm okay with an Avi in LF OR an Anderson at SS. I just don't want both as part of my starting lineup. If Avi is in my LF then Anderson should be my super UTIL in a perfect situation.

I really don't think that these are outlandish takes to be honest. Tim Anderson is hitting .286this month -- average D? if not wild and unpredictable at times? 21 strikeouts, 2 walks... 5hrs. This month he's fine because he's providing power. But what about a bad month? Say July.. when he hit .198 with 22 striekouts, 1 walk and drove in 5rbis? Add in iffy defense and you have a liability on your team. Anderson is too streaky in my eyes with not enough discipline or defense to warrant his down streaks and not enough power to be a game changer or carry a team during his upswings..

That hurts a team that's trying to win it all in 2020. I'd love for him to play 90-100 games -- really ride him when hot and let him work it out on the bench and a few times a week when cold.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)
I am totally ok with having league average players on my 2019 and 2020 contending teams. A big part of the problem the last 2 years was how many positions the White Sox had filled with guys who were substantially less than league average players, or at least how much they had to spend in money and talent to bring positions up to league average. If Delmonico is a "league average player" in 2020, he would be doing that for pre-arbitration dollars still. Give me a left handed hitting LF who puts up an .800 ish OPS to balance out being pretty weak defensively and that's a league average player and a guy who I'm ok with being on the team. We paid Melky Cabrera like $13 million a year to do that.

That's a totally fair point made there and agree with it. However I think a lot of times we as fans get caught up in a few good weeks by a player. Out of all these guys playing right now - we can't have more than 3 of them starting for us in 2020 if we are going for it (not counting catcher - not counting pitching)

Abreu .... Avi ... Delmonico if you'd like - I don't have faith in Nicky, but that's fine.

I'm fine with finding another few guys to be UTIL players as well ...

L. Garcia, Saladino, Anderson

I just get upset that sometimes the fan base thinks that a few good weeks out of Davidson or Nicky or Saladino equals their starting 2b or SS or whatever on a contending team.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)
That's a totally fair point made there and agree with it. However I think a lot of times we as fans get caught up in a few good weeks by a player. Out of all these guys playing right now - we can't have more than 3 of them starting for us in 2020 if we are going for it (not counting catcher - not counting pitching)

Abreu .... Avi ... Delmonico if you'd like - I don't have faith in Nicky, but that's fine.

I'm fine with finding another few guys to be UTIL players as well ...

L. Garcia, Saladino, Anderson

I just get upset that sometimes the fan base thinks that a few good weeks out of Davidson or Nicky or Saladino equals their starting 2b or SS or whatever on a contending team.

If you do get a chance I'd like you to assess Salvy Perez and Lorenzo Cain and Moustakas and Hosmer for me. Should they be starters? Are they worth a damn? My guess is they will come up lacking. I'd love to see your assessment of the NL all star roster. I'd think most of those guys suck and shouldn't be regulars. I do realize most of the Sox do suck, but I think Delmonico, Avi, the catchers, Moncada, Abreu, yes Davidson are actually not so bad. Perez by the way has 21 homers; Davidson has 22.

"

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)

This is how I feel. One of the reasons there was Saladino hype was the fact that he was doing exactly what Brett Lawrie was doing except we didn't have to send 2 players to get him or pay him arb salary.

A lot of these guys like Delmonico/Leury/K. Smith have been giving us the type of production we've been sending out loads of money/players for the past 3 years. And no way they would have relied on those guys had we been contending.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
This is how I feel. One of the reasons there was Saladino hype was the fact that he was doing exactly what Brett Lawrie was doing except we didn't have to send 2 players to get him or pay him arb salary.

A lot of these guys like Delmonico/Leury/K. Smith have been giving us the type of production we've been sending out loads of money/players for the past 3 years. And no way they would have relied on those guys had we been contending.

The trick right now is - we've got a few monsters like Kopech, Jiminez on the way, and hopefully we can turn Moncada into one as well. We'll have FA money to play with. Can we get 3 or 4 league average starters, a strong bench, and a couple of bullpen arms out of the guys we have in our system right now? Those like 7 outfielders, Anderson, Sanchez, Saladino, the catchers - if we can fill that portion of our lineup, bench, and rotation with those guys, that sets us up to be able to find actual "last pieces" in FA, rather than having to try to fill 10 positions in a single offseason like we tried to do the last 2 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
The trick right now is - we've got a few monsters like Kopech, Jiminez on the way, and hopefully we can turn Moncada into one as well. We'll have FA money to play with. Can we get 3 or 4 league average starters, a strong bench, and a couple of bullpen arms out of the guys we have in our system right now? Those like 7 outfielders, Anderson, Sanchez, Saladino, the catchers - if we can fill that portion of our lineup, bench, and rotation with those guys, that sets us up to be able to find actual "last pieces" in FA, rather than having to try to fill 10 positions in a single offseason like we tried to do the last 2 years.

Agreed. But key for me after the post 2014 failure, is when these guys start coming up, if we start to fill holes I want to fill them shooting for moon with elite. I don't want to plug holes of negative WAR guys with Average players. I want to use the money/excess players to go after best players available, with the random back of the bullpen/rotation candidates notwithstanding.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
If you do get a chance I'd like you to assess Salvy Perez and Lorenzo Cain and Moustakas and Hosmer for me. Should they be starters? Are they worth a damn? My guess is they will come up lacking. I'd love to see your assessment of the NL all star roster. I'd think most of those guys suck and shouldn't be regulars. I do realize most of the Sox do suck, but I think Delmonico, Avi, the catchers, Moncada, Abreu, yes Davidson are actually not so bad. Perez by the way has 21 homers; Davidson has 22.

"

For God's sake, just stop.