Who is the 2018 closer?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the closet in 2018?

• Burdi
    • Minaya
    • Jones
    • Someone else in-house (who?)
    • Someone from the outside (who?)

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 08:19 PM)
I wonder about the confidence levels of young players, especially pitchers at the big league level who throw quality starts, just to have the bullpen blow it.

I imagine they couldn't possibly care at all. They're aware the team will struggle.

It depends if the plan is to tank one more year. If we plan on sucking it'll be a bullpen like this one. If we plan on winning they need to rebuild the bullpen and it's anybody's guess who would be the closer. I figure it's Nate. It's his turn to be a closer. We'll see if he can be healthy and do it.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
My bet is whoever they have closing will be at least decent at it. No worse than Robertson.

I don't think you quite realize how good of a closer David Robertson really was. Maybe not among the league's best, but you'd be hard-pressed to name 12 better in the game right now.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
Signing free agent Addison Reed makes a lot of sense to me. He's young(29 years old) and he sure is better than anybody the team has in the bullpen now.

Addison Reed will almost certainly sign a multi-year deal in excess of $12 mill per year. This is not a proposition I like.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 09:20 PM)
Carson Fulmer

I like signing Addison Reed more than this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 03:26 AM)
I don't think you quite realize how good of a closer David Robertson really was. Maybe not among the league's best, but you'd be hard-pressed to name 12 better in the game right now.

Addison Reed will almost certainly sign a multi-year deal in excess of $12 mill per year. This is not a proposition I like. If $12 million dollars is accurate, there's no way JR spends that type of money. I wish he would but I know he won't.

I'd sign some players who we think we can spin at the deadline. We don't have enough arms in the minors ready to sit in bullpen roles. Not to mention, I just don't think it is good for a team's morale to go into the season with hot garbage everywhere. You want to close out the games you are leading (even if there aren't a lot of them) and you can spin those players for assets. Find a vet closer on a 1yr deal or take a flyer on a few guys.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
I'd sign some players who we think we can spin at the deadline. We don't have enough arms in the minors ready to sit in bullpen roles. Not to mention, I just don't think it is good for a team's morale to go into the season with hot garbage everywhere. You want to close out the games you are leading (even if there aren't a lot of them) and you can spin those players for assets. Find a vet closer on a 1yr deal or take a flyer on a few guys.

Every spot on the roster not taken up by someone with a future in the org should be filled with a scrap heap/reclamation project pickup that we try to flip at the deadline.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 04:26 AM)

Reed has had some success and isn't going to come in cheap, and there isn't a lot of sense getting in a bidding war for a closer for a team that will be .500 at best.

If you Fulmer back there and let him get back to his former delivery now that he will have a smaller workload and receives the corresponding uptick in velocity you may have a real piece there that has value. Best case scenario you get your closer for the future or are able to flip him in a Giles type deal to reinforce the rebuild. Worst case he flames out and you get a revolving door back there with Petricka, Goldberg, Jones, and some FA. At least you will know with some degree of likelihood if Fulmer has any role in the future of this franchise.

Bring in Jordan Walden and Drew Storen to compete in the closer wheel of death and hope a couple of the guys build enough value to net some prospects next summer.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)

Not many openings (I only see a starter spot open) but I agree, keep adding prospects while we're not winning

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
Reed has had some success and isn't going to come in cheap, and there isn't a lot of sense getting in a bidding war for a closer for a team that will be .500 at best.

If you Fulmer back there and let him get back to his former delivery now that he will have a smaller workload and receives the corresponding uptick in velocity you may have a real piece there that has value. Best case scenario you get your closer for the future or are able to flip him in a Giles type deal to reinforce the rebuild. Worst case he flames out and you get a revolving door back there with Petricka, Goldberg, Jones, and some FA. At least you will know with some degree of likelihood if Fulmer has any role in the future of this franchise.

Bring in Jordan Walden and Drew Storen to compete in the closer wheel of death and hope a couple of the guys build enough value to net some prospects next summer.

This is what I was thinking. Reed on the open market is probably looking at 3/4 years at $5/6 million per season?