Who says we cant compete next year?

ron883

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 07:23 AM)
Wrong free agency period. Machado will be available in two offseasons, along with a bunch of other big names. IMO, 2019 will be the first year they really go for it and we'll see a lot of free agent activity the offseason before. I really think we can be serious World Series contenders in 2019 with a few big moves and solid development from the core young guys like Moncada, Anderson, Jimenez, Kopech, Giolito, & Lopez. 2018 is year too early, but things are definitely moving faster than anticipated.

Yup with the timing is right with our young core moving up rather quickly and the parity that exists outside 3-4 teams in the AL. I don't think the Sox have much of a chance at the WS next year for sure, but definitely will compete for a WC spot IMO. Minnesota went from buyers to sellers and are currently the 2nd WC team and not terribly overwhelming at all. I think the Sox will play it safe this offseason (as they should) but as guys keep developing I can see them play very good baseball by August next year.

Edited by TheTruth05

Would love it but very doubtful.

Three of the best and closest kids the Sox have are Macada, TA, and Rodon. What do you have with them? Though TA has played very well of late he has scuffled at times badly this year, Moncada is hitting in the .100s and Rodon has battled more nagging injuries and is done.

This is what makes prospects so much of a wildcard. You can't predict unproven players will have anything more than a cursory impact on the big club, especially when you're talking about 7 or 8 of them (which it would take 7-8 prospects having healthy, productive 2018 for the Sox to be respectable). That's really a pipedream. I think 1 or 2 will blossom next year, another couple will be up and down showing glimpses but still needing seasoning, a few more yet will be proven not ready and then you'll get the case of the nagging injury, or worse (see Burdi, Zach).

Until you prove it in the majors you've done nothing and thus such projections based off these type of players (as over the moon as I am about these players and there POTENTIAL) are fools gold.

Edited by kwolf68

We'll be better. Bullpen being average may depend on whether Nate Jones exists for a year, but I think we are a little lucky with how stable they've been the last 2 months. I'd expect next year to be 2013/4 level frustrating from our pen.

The only part of that is I may be underestimating some help from players currently in AA in our second half, or players like Bummer taking a leap.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)
We'll be better. Bullpen being average may depend on whether Nate Jones exists for a year, but I think we are a little lucky with how stable they've been the last 2 months. I'd expect next year to be 2013/4 level frustrating from our pen.

The only part of that is I may be underestimating some help from players currently in AA in our second half, or players like Bummer taking a leap.

Something that absolutely 100% should not be counted on by anyone on this forum.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 10:48 PM)
This team isn't even close to competing in my book. No bullpen and only 2/5th's of a starting rotation. Plus a number of easy outs in the current lineup.

Not even close.

Stay the course, keep acquiring young talent, let them mature in the minor leagues, DO NOT rush them...and we'll see you in 2020. They should be ready by them.

There is no reason to rush them. However, you bring them up when they are ready for the challenge of the MLB and not wait until some arbitrary timeline.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 05:56 AM)
Where is Manny Machado in the projected lineup?

I really wanna see the Sox spend this off-season. They have money, there are some really good young players out there, and their first round pick will be protected.

Machado and Harper both are not free agents until the end of the 2018 season. As far as young players available in free agency this year, who will be a free agent thus year that the Sox should sign? I see nothing but 28+ year old veterans looking for a big pay day which does not lineup with what the Sox are doing. The Sox need to give their talent another year of development to know what holes remain at the end of the '18 season. Then over the 2018/19 winter the Sox can look at filling a hole or two with free agents.

If you seriously think the Sox are going to spend their way back to contention this winter, you are going to be very dissapointed.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
Machado and Harper both are not free agents until the end of the 2018 season. As far as young players available in free agency this year, who will be a free agent thus year that the Sox should sign? I see nothing but 28+ year old veterans looking for a big pay day which does not lineup with what the Sox are doing. The Sox need to give their talent another year of development to know what holes remain at the end of the '18 season. Then over the 2018/19 winter the Sox can look at filling a hole or two with free agents.

If you seriously think the Sox are going to spend their way back to contention this winter, you are going to be very dissapointed.

Didn't you hear? JR is cheap and won't spend a dime! This whole "rebuild" is really just to line is pockets. It has nothing to do with there needing to be actual worthwhile free agents to spend money on, 100% JR.

I do think it's kinda hilarious how I go into every game thinking we can win, compared to 2015 when we were "competing" and I went into every game thinking "how could we possibly score enough to win?"

edit: And we are 20 games below that team.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
Didn't you hear? JR is cheap and won't spend a dime! This whole "rebuild" is really just to line is pockets. It has nothing to do with there needing to be actual worthwhile free agents to spend money on, 100% JR.

Never understood this theory. JR has proven before that he will spend. 2007 Sox had a very big payroll. He splooged on Albert Belle that one year. I think JR will spend if it means a championship.

Im also in the boat that the rebuild started with the drake laroche guys getting the boot. Sale and Eaton were the worst during that. I think Hahn convinced JR that they needed to go. With those two guys gone, Hahn was able to convince JR that they might as well go full rebuild. The returns from sale and eaton probably didn't hurt with convincing JR.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 06:10 PM)
This team looks good enough to compete for the WC or division next year. Indiana have some stats who are aging. Never know what happens in baseball. Sox will also have Kopech and eloy at some point.

Rodon/Kopech/Lopez/giolito/ shields or guerrero or Stephens or Adams

1B abreu

2B moncada

SS TA/leury

3b Davidson/nicky/yolmer

DH delmonico/davidson/abreu

RF avi

CF leury/engel

LF nicky/eloy

C: TA/Kevin smith

Supersubs yolmer/leury

Bullpen - wing it.

I think this team will be a pleasant surprise and the Sox very May well have a chance to compete.

You've answered why this team isn't good enough to compete... with that roster lol

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)

Damn dude, my bad. I forgot JR is cheap for spending 28M on a 19 year old, lol. But still, why not spend big this winter? If the Sox spend big this winter and next, they will have the most bestest uber collection of free agent signings that will inhibit the Sox ability to sign their young talent long term, in a few years. Then, we can reignite the cycle of whining and complaining about how some of the signings are not living up to expectations followed by trade proposals that will bring back top flight talent for a player we don't want because they suck. After that, talk of how the FO was stupid for trying to spend their way into contention which never works for them. Then, talk about how the Sox FO needs to change some of their scouting and coaching to help draft and build a better farm. Then the impatient nutters come out with a win now mentality to start signing free agents and therefore bringing about a full circle of idiocracy.

Did I sum that up correctly. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. :lol:

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
"Bullpen - wing it" lmao

hahah right!? This team will be tragic next year. Probably about the same as this year. remember we wont have Quintana, Robertson, Swarzak, Kahnle, Melky and Frazier (barf) for half a year. That really won us some games.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)

I'm with you cousin. We'll be better but not enough to compete. The second half could be a lot

of fun though. Long term I'm hopeful for the bullpen because of our Farm pitching depth. With Fulmer-

Stephens, Clarkin, Flores, Puckett and more we should be able to have a good pen very soon.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
hahah right!? This team will be tragic next year. Probably about the same as this year. remember we wont have Quintana, Robertson, Swarzak, Kahnle, Melky and Frazier (barf) for half a year. That really won us some games.

But we will have Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, Kopech, Jimenez, Rodon, maybe Avi/Collins/Abreu next year, plus all those decent fringe guys like Delmonico/Willy/Cordell/Leury/Yolmer. There will be growing pains but they'll still find a way to get us some wins.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
I do think it's kinda hilarious how I go into every game thinking we can win, compared to 2015 when we were "competing" and I went into every game thinking "how could we possibly score enough to win?"

edit: And we are 20 games below that team.

With all due respect, you think we can win when Shields, Holland or Pelphrey pitches? Or are u talking about the last 2 weeks?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 04:54 PM)
Wasn't Greg the person who said that originally? More proof Ron = Greg.

Greg was serious as TA's numbers were projecting OK for a catcher offensively not so much as a SS. TA is hot and I love it but some of you forget how badly he was hitting. HIs free swinging style, ala, Salvy Perez swinging at everything, made him an intriguing transformation candidate to catcher. I had my reasons. Ron is trolling big time.

This team isn't going to be competitive

The biggest lineup problem is the K:BB ratio

we have the fifth most strikeouts as a team and the 3rd least walks

Davidson is the biggest problem child, but Engel has this issue as well.

Even Abreu, who's been a monster, has had very few walks.

The biggest rotation problem is James Shields

Second biggest is lack of experience and consistency

The biggest bullpen problem is we don't have a proven one

If everything went right we would win like 78-84 games, resutling in a worst case scenario for 2019 draft pick

I hope we suck next year but trim the fat

Edited by Greg Hibbard