Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
They have trap shooting at OPCC, but im not much of a rifle guy quite yet, I've only trained with my 9MM and my shotgun.

Anything has to be better than that tiny little BS range they have, its awful. I am nervous every minute that I am in there.

Trap shooting with a rifle?

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
Rates matter. AT some point something may pose such a higher risk you choose differently. We don't have great data for those risk rates for the last 20 years.

While I agree with what you’re saying, the vast majority of people will not get rid of theirs guns at home no matter what the data says.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
While I agree with what you’re saying, the vast majority of people will not get rid of theirs guns at home no matter what the data says.

Maybe not, but if there is a 10% reduction and there is any linear weight to that (which there is evidence there is), you could be talking about a meaningful reduction in suicides, and hopefully gun accidents and domestic violence deaths. Could be a matter of hundreds to (possibly) thousands of lives. Hard to know base rates or time frame.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Tobacco is a completely different monster than guns and I can’t believe people are arguing otherwise.

People used it as an example of how social norms and pressure can change to take down a well-funded operation a la big tobacco, not that guns are cigarettes. Jenks was saying how the way big tobacco acted was uniquely different because of their lies and product others were showing the similarities. Not that an outrageous of an argument.

I'm pretty sure if you were able to guarantee all families would always be safe and no innocent person would ever be shot or harmed in any way, which obviously could never happen, all people would have to do is turn in every gun they owned, millions would refuse.

I've never understood the people who don't lock up their firearms in the house. Get a safe lock them up. That takes care of most of the issues.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
I'm pretty sure if you were able to guarantee all families would always be safe and no innocent person would ever be shot or harmed in any way, which obviously could never happen, all people would have to do is turn in every gun they owned, millions would refuse.

Of course. I go back to the hunting/sport aspect. there would be no reason to turn the firearms in.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
I've never understood the people who don't lock up their firearms in the house. Get a safe lock them up. That takes care of most of the issues.

Home defense! Some people go so far as to carry constantly even at home. Never know when someone is going to break into your suburban home in a gated community!

That was actually what was at the heart of Heller. DC required all handguns to be stored in a secured or inoperable state, e.g. putting a lock on the trigger to prevent the gun from firing. Plaintiffs argued that this severely limited the gun's use for self-defense in the event of a home invasion.

One thing to keep in mind with any sort of "mental illness treatment means no guns" law is that it will inevitably discourage some people who own guns from seeking mental health services. Guns are really, really important to some people. I don't know where that balance point on that particular issue is, though.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)

Biometric safe is what I have. Nobody else has access.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
Home defense! Some people go so far as to carry constantly even at home. Never know when someone is going to break into your suburban home in a gated community!

That was actually what was at the heart of Heller. DC required all handguns to be stored in a secured or inoperable state, e.g. putting a lock on the trigger to prevent the gun from firing. Plaintiffs argued that this severely limited the gun's use for self-defense in the event of a home invasion.

I know the arguments and to each his own but I just don't understand it. Of course, I've always chosen to live in very low crime areas. Not everyone has that option.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
Biometric safe is what I have. Nobody else has access.

mine's a combination safe. But anyway to keep the easy access or most accidents from happening works.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
One thing to keep in mind with any sort of "mental illness treatment means no guns" law is that it will inevitably discourage some people who own guns from seeking mental health services. Guns are really, really important to some people. I don't know where that balance point on that particular issue is, though.

no doubt.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:22 PM)
I know the arguments and to each his own but I just do understand it. Of course, I've always chosen to live in very low crime areas. Not everyone has that option.

I'm pretty paranoid, so I have cameras, an alarm and a shotgun as a last resort. I assume the minute I hear my alarm get triggered I will be able to unlock my safe, load a shell and cock that SOB loud enough to scare off whoever it is. My goal is to deter an intruder, no silently hunt them down and murder them in my home. I want every single thing to scare them off.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
I'm pretty paranoid, so I have cameras, an alarm and a shotgun as a last resort. I assume the minute I hear my alarm get triggered I will be able to unlock my safe, load a shell and cock that SOB loud enough to scare off whoever it is. My goal is to deter an intruder, no silently hunt them down and murder them in my home. I want every single thing to scare them off.

Wow. I rarely lock my doors. I've actually gone to work and forgot to close my door. A neighbor called me at work and called me a dumbf**k and because he had to close my door. My wife wasn't too happy that day. Luckily, i had locked the dogs up that day.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
Wow. I rarely lock my doors. I've actually gone to work and forgot to close my door. A neighbor called me at work and called me a dumbf**k and because he had to close my door. My wife wasn't too happy that day. Luckily, i had locked the dogs up that day.

LOL. One of the reasons I miss my dog (we put her down last week), what a great deterrent.

We are in a safe area but very close to the city and you never know. We usually lock up at night, and pretty darn tight. I do have 24/7 cameras recording tho...

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
People used it as an example of how social norms and pressure can change to take down a well-funded operation a la big tobacco, not that guns are cigarettes. Jenks was saying how the way big tobacco acted was uniquely different because of their lies and product others were showing the similarities. Not that an outrageous of an argument.

Gotcha, don’t disagree there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)

100% without question.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 08:29 PM)

That's cool you have a neighbor looking out for you. I assume he was kidding with the "dumbf***" line. You must be good pals. Did u buy him a beer or cup of java for his protection?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)
What animal do you hunt with an AR-15?

Nobody really "hunts" with an AR. Like others have said...vermin eradication. But "hunting" like deer or whatever...nobody uses an AR

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)

This...you can get a decent safe that's fire retardant for $400-500.

I go by the premise..."I'd rather have them and not need them...then need them and not have them." Hypothetical...fat boy in NK...or anybody hits this country with an EMP. Grid is down for days/months. Resources are scarce. I guarantee you people will be trying to take you and your families resources. Not saying you have to use your weapons on anybody who is merely trying to survive...but you have the animals who merely want to take and do it physically. Wouldn't you rather have that little insurance policy of a .357 strapped to your hip or whatever?...people will think twice.