Sox make roster moves

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
Mildly surprised that Putnam is back after TJS. He underwent surgery at the end of June, so I would imagine he is going to miss a significant portion of the season.

Just because they reinstated him doesn't mean he's going to stick through the offseason. I believe it's standard practice to reinstate players from the D.L. when the season officially comes to a close. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him non-tendered at some point.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
Just because they reinstated him doesn't mean he's going to stick through the offseason. I believe it's standard practice to reinstate players from the D.L. when the season officially comes to a close. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him non-tendered at some point.

Yeah, there is no 60 day DL so no roster spot in the offseason.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 11:45 PM)

I would guess that there are at least 5 (and probably more) prospects in the minors that they will have to add to the 40...the pitcher they got from the Yankees comes immediately to mind.

But there are a lot of names on that 40 that they could easily let go in order to protect some prospects.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 12:02 AM)
I would guess that there are at least 5 (and probably more) prospects in the minors that they will have to add to the 40...the pitcher they got from the Yankees comes immediately to mind.

But there are a lot of names on that 40 that they could easily let go in order to protect some prospects.

Yeah, I don't know the status of every player as far as options and who needs to be protected but players such as Ian Clarkin (yanks pitcher), Micker Adolfo and Tito Polo I think will be added.

Players that could end up being removed, if necessary, are Jacob May, Allen Hanson, Willy Garcia, AL Albuquerque and Danny Farquhar.

Isn't the rule 5 draft at the end of the winter meetings?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 01:15 AM)
Yeah, I don't know the status of every player as far as options and who needs to be protected but players such as Ian Clarkin (yanks pitcher), Micker Adolfo and Tito Polo I think will be added.

Players that could end up being removed, if necessary, are Jacob May, Allen Hanson, Willy Garcia, AL Albuquerque and Danny Farquhar.

Isn't the rule 5 draft at the end of the winter meetings?

Yes. The Rule 5 draft is the Thursday morning of the Winter Meetings. White Sox players that are Rule 5 eligible: Eloy Jimenez, Casey Gillaspie, Jake Peter, Tito Polo, Jordan Guerrero, Brian Clark, Connor Walsh, Micker Adolfo, and Ian Clarkin. I would think that Gillaspie, Eloy, Polo, and Guerrero definitely get protected. Adolfo and Clarkin are in A ball so they should be fine but the Padres selected two guys out of A ball last year so they could be forced to protect Clarkin and Adolfo. We'll see.

It's much easier to hide pitchers on a major league roster than position players. Especially if you are a rebuilding team and don't care too much if you lose. The Sox threw Covey out there enough to where he got enough work, and wouldn't suffer from not playing, even though you wonder exactly what they see in him. A guy like Adolpho would be overmatched and you basically would be giving up a developmental season to acquire him, I don't think he is worth the bother. He is a big maybe anyway.

I doubt if it will come down to protecting him or not this year anyway. They should have room. Moving forward, there may be a crunch.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
Mildly surprised that Putnam is back after TJS. He underwent surgery at the end of June, so I would imagine he is going to miss a significant portion of the season.

UCL reconstruction is usually around a 9 month rehab. So he should be ready for the beginning of the season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
The quote from Hahn at the time of the surgery was 12 to 18 months.

It's a procedural move. Whether they sign him to a minimal contract or offer him arb or let him go is the question. You can't hide guys on the 60 day DL during the offseason.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
The quote from Hahn at the time of the surgery was 12 to 18 months.

That's being really conservative unless it was something more than just a reconstruction. But, they did seem to be very conservative with most injuries last year.

I still don't see any way that they tender Putnam a contract. I know they like it when he's on the mound, but I don't know how you can guarantee the roster spot of a 30 year old who has spent that much time on the DL. A non-tender and minor league re-signing seems like the most likely route they go with him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
I still don't see any way that they tender Putnam a contract. I know they like it when he's on the mound, but I don't know how you can guarantee the roster spot of a 30 year old who has spent that much time on the DL. A non-tender and minor league re-signing seems like the most likely route they go with him.

Especially when they will be looking to be active in the Rule 5 draft for sure, plus have other players they will want to protect.

100% agree.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
I'd bet a guy like Clakin is taken before Micker.

A soft-tossing lefty in high A who can’t stay healthy and hasn’t shown any signs of dominance at the level? No one is going to take that guy and roster him all year when there will be better left-handed pitching options to select in the rule 5. While very unlikely, there is some chance a rebuilding club takes a chance on Adolfo because of tools & age. The Padres have done it before and a team like the Tigers who are just starting their rebuild might consider it. Again very unlikely though.

Can certainly put Petricka in that number; Putnam's best years were better than Petricka's. Even Infante and Minaya, two rather modest relievers, pitched as well last year as Petricka ever has.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 03:38 PM)
A soft-tossing lefty in high A who can't stay healthy and hasn't shown any signs of dominance at the level? No one is going to take that guy and roster him all year when there will be better left-handed pitching options to select in the rule 5. While very unlikely, there is some chance a rebuilding club takes a chance on Adolfo because of tools & age. The Padres have done it before and a team like the Tigers who are just starting their rebuild might consider it. Again very unlikely though.

I might be Mickers biggest fan, but this is extremely overvaluing the guy. Pitchers are always a better shot at being picked and sticking to a team than a position player, especially one with the hold in his bat that Adolfo has.