Cafardo: White Sox Likely to Pursue JBJ

professa

Per Cafardo's column, here's the excerpt from MLBTR:

"The Giants, White Sox and Royals “will likely keep inquiring” about Red Sox center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. throughout the offseason, Cafardo contends. Each of San Francisco, Chicago and Kansas City have pursued Bradley recently, but the Royals already had Lorenzo Cain occupying center when they went after JBJ in 2015. Now, with Cain likely to depart via free agency, the fit between the Royals and the affordable Bradley is obvious. However, it’s fair to wonder whether the Royals have a good enough farm system to put together a deal for Bradley, who’s controllable through 2020 and will make around $5.9MM next season."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/cafa...zimmermann.html

You would think Abreu would have to be a part of this, no?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
I don't mind buying low on JBJ as a piece in an Abreu deal. He plays GG caliber defense and is serviceable as a hitter. If he regresses to his 2016 form you have a MVP level player as a core piece or trade chip.

But he's only available for 1 additional year past Abreu.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 06:01 PM)

Yeah, the market for first baseman is not a kind one right now. I'd want something else with JBJ for Abreu. It would be an interesting trade because if JBJ can start the 2018 season hitting like he did in 2016, he could be worth more than Abreu at the trade deadline next summer. Or, he's the White Sox CF through the 2020 season.

Tempting. Gotta figure he's good for around 3 WAR next year. If it was 2018 offseason and the Sox were coming off 76-80 wins I'd think a whole lot harder on it. No reason to rush this year tho. If it was a sign and then immediately work out a deal maybe I'd be convinced. He's a good player. Not a star, but a very good everyday player.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 06:01 PM)

I don't think the Sox are planning on him being part of their core, but, if you can get JBJ along with some other pieces for Abreu you have a decent chance getting a lot of surplus value in that deal. You are gambling a bit on JBJ rebounding can put together another season like 2016, you can spin him next winter for a package more valuable than Abreu now.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 08:42 PM)
I don't think the Sox are planning on him being part of their core, but, if you can get JBJ along with some other pieces for Abreu you have a decent chance getting a lot of surplus value in that deal. You are gambling a bit on JBJ rebounding can put together another season like 2016, you can spin him next winter for a package more valuable than Abreu now.

Thanks to you and others above - I get the logic now... hard to believe that they'd take that gamble. That is being said by a guy who thinks having Avery here next year is worth more than just his WAR measurement.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 12:20 AM)
I'd rather put my bet on Avi... might be considered a higher risk bet but I'd wager the reward potential is worth it.

I'm just not sold on Avi. It's the lack of power and poor defense that get me. I would happily take JBJ over Avi.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 10:34 PM)
I'm just not sold on Avi. It's the lack of power and poor defense that get me. I would happily take JBJ over Avi.

It'll be interesting to see how both of the rest of their contracts end up and how their next deals are once reaching FA. I can easily see both sides of this option.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 02:45 AM)
It'll be interesting to see how both of the rest of their contracts end up and how their next deals are once reaching FA. I can easily see both sides of this option.

If they both hit FA right now I think JBJ would dramatically outearn Garcia. If they both are 3-4 win players for the next 2 seasons, then I'd imagine their deals would come out pretty comparable and right around that 9 figure mark.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 07:15 AM)
If they both hit FA right now I think JBJ would dramatically outearn Garcia. If they both are 3-4 win players for the next 2 seasons, then I'd imagine their deals would come out pretty comparable and right around that 9 figure mark.

Yea, I just think that JBJ is the safe bet to be a 2 or 3 WAR guy over the next 3 years where as with Garcia I could see him being anywhere from a replacement level guy to a 5+ guy. So for me, Avi is the higher risk higher reward asset and I'd personally hold onto him to let my chips ride.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 12:15 AM)
What about JBJ for Avi swap? How far off is that?

Doesn't seem to make sense. Red Sox would move Bradley to make room for a power bat like Martinez or Stanton to play LF and move Benintendi to CF. I could see some sort of Bradley for a pitcher with similar years of control straight up swap or Bradley for prospects.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Yea, I just think that JBJ is the safe bet to be a 2 or 3 WAR guy over the next 3 years where as with Garcia I could see him being anywhere from a replacement level guy to a 5+ guy. So for me, Avi is the higher risk higher reward asset and I'd personally hold onto him to let my chips ride.

I don't agree that Garcia is a "Higher reward" guy as JBJ was a 5 win player 2 years ago. With his defense and the position he plays, he does not have to be an elite hitter to be a 5 win player. I would agree that Garcia is "higher risk" because Garcia has been a solid player for 1 season in his career while JBJ has been a solid player for more than 1 year. If Garcia is an elite offensive player the next 2 years, then you're convinced he's actually an elite offensive player and has broken out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 11:52 AM)
I don't agree that Garcia is a "Higher reward" guy as JBJ was a 5 win player 2 years ago. With his defense and the position he plays, he does not have to be an elite hitter to be a 5 win player. I would agree that Garcia is "higher risk" because Garcia has been a solid player for 1 season in his career while JBJ has been a solid player for more than 1 year. If Garcia is an elite offensive player the next 2 years, then you're convinced he's actually an elite offensive player and has broken out.

I'll agree with you on that^

I don't really see JBJ being a good fit for the White Sox right now. With only three seasons of control remaining (his more expensive arbitration years too) I would not be inclined to part with significant prospects for him. 2018 and likely 2019 are not our window to compete, wasting most of the time he would be under contract. If I am dealing Avi or Abreu I would want younger, cost controlled players in return.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 29, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
I'll agree with you on that^

I don't really see JBJ being a good fit for the White Sox right now. With only three seasons of control remaining (his more expensive arbitration years too) I would not be inclined to part with significant prospects for him. 2018 and likely 2019 are not our window to compete, wasting most of the time he would be under contract. If I am dealing Avi or Abreu I would want younger, cost controlled players in return.

Where did the idea of JBJ or Abreu even come from? I haven't seen that suggested anywhere other than this site.

I think Bradley ends up getting moved for someone like Salazar (just an example, but someone with a few years of control) in a 1-for-1 swap. And that only happens if the Red Sox land a power corner outfield bat.

Edited by soxfan2014