White Sox sign Miguel Gonzalez

bmags

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 09:24 AM)
I mean when we traded Miguel he had a pretty decent run of starts and he netted us DaQuan Forbes whom I didn't even remember until I googled it.

These flip projects aren't that exciting to me. Seems better to catch lightning in a bottle for bullpen.

That's why I think this really is more of an eat some innings than flip candidate. Like you said, he isn't going to be worth much more than he was when they traded him when he was on a roll, and he netted a 21 year old with a .588 OPS in high A. I would think if you wanted to just buy him from Texas, it wouldn't cost you anywhere near what Gonzalez will be paid. So he must be a good influence, and the probably hope he can eat some innings.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 09:44 AM)
That's why I think this really is more of an eat some innings than flip candidate. Like you said, he isn't going to be worth much more than he was when they traded him when he was on a roll, and he netted a 21 year old with a .588 OPS in high A. I would think if you wanted to just buy him from Texas, it wouldn't cost you anywhere near what Gonzalez will be paid. So he must be a good influence, and the probably hope he can eat some innings.

And I do think we'll see some vet camp signee. There really aren't interesting candidates aside from Tillman.

I do wish we would have signed Eovaldi last year. He would have been perfect to try in rotation and then be a dynamite Relief candidate if we needed room.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2018 -> 09:44 AM)

This is 100% about getting a guy who can eat some innings and prevent us from having to rush up any of our arms in AAA. Having said that, the cost is low enough that he won’t be blocking anyone if we need to open a spot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2018 -> 06:38 PM)
If there was a question about this being a .500 team next season, this should answer it.

This is the post of the year or at least the offseason. Shields and Gonzalez as choices? LOL. People will pay to watch those guys be 2/5s of our rotation? Ridiculous.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 11:51 PM)
This is the post of the year or at least the offseason. Shields and Gonzalez as choices? LOL. People will pay to watch those guys be 2/5s of our rotation? Ridiculous.

Seriously I don't care if they'll pay this year. Buy season tickets this year, lock in your seats for 2019 and 2020 because we're demolishing this league.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 09:51 PM)

My thoughts are that White Sox baseball is always super fun to watch because it’s White Sox baseball. And when they are good, oh baby it’s just pure juicy tastiness. 2018 is going to be one of the most fun years to follow EVER. Think about that Greg my man. Next year will be one of the most fun years ever.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 01:32 AM)
My thoughts are that White Sox baseball is always super fun to watch because it’s White Sox baseball. And when they are good, oh baby it’s just pure juicy tastiness. 2018 is going to be one of the most fun years to follow EVER. Think about that Greg my man. Next year will be one of the most fun years ever.

I like playing my video games with cheat codes. I would sit front row for a team with a cheat code. Ours will be playing RF. And Pitching. And 2b. In 2019 we're using the bleeping Game Genie.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 11:41 PM)
I like playing my video games with cheat codes. I would sit front row for a team with a cheat code. Ours will be playing RF. And Pitching. And 2b. In 2019 we're using the bleeping Game Genie.

Haha spot on.

Dude Hahn totally got out ahead of the trend a year early. By next year there might be 20-25 teams rebuilding and Hahn has put the Sox miles ahead of that whole pack...about to lap them.

Hopefully 2019-2030 isn’t the era of the super teams but the Era Of The Super Team: CWS

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 01:33 PM)
Haha spot on.

Dude Hahn totally got out ahead of the trend a year early. By next year there might be 20-25 teams rebuilding and Hahn has put the Sox miles ahead of that whole pack...about to lap them.

Hopefully 2019-2030 isn’t the era of the super teams but the Era Of The Super Team: CWS

Honestly, with how these teams look right now, I'm not sure that the idea of a "sustained successful team" really works that well in this era. If it's these 100 win teams destroying the league every year, you have to load up as much as humanly possible to stay with them. That doesn't just mean money, that also means starting off with a strong system for the first year or two when you break through to the playoffs, but then sacrificing that system to hang with the big boys the next couple years before free agency takes too big a toll.

That's kinda where the Cubs and Red Sox are right now. Started off with great systems and had to sacrifice it to stay with the next wave of teams.

For now, let's just admit we're going to destroy baseball 2020 and 2021 and then figure out the other years once we have another trophy.