5/1 games

reiks12

7 minutes ago, credezcrew24 said:

There is 1 reason he was drafted as high as the 7th round and that is the value his bat could potentially provide while playing subpar defense. I don't see what the argument is

That his hit tool needs a ton of work and they knew that when they drafted him. If it didn't, then there was no way he would have lasted until the 7th round. They drafted him because he has shown great power in the past and if we can rebuild his swing, then his bat could be really good. 

13 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

That his hit tool needs a ton of work and they knew that when they drafted him. If it didn't, then there was no way he would have lasted until the 7th round. They drafted him because he has shown great power in the past and if we can rebuild his swing, then his bat could be really good. 

Somehow people have confused "His bat was supposed to be where the value was" with me saying he's an amazing hitter who never strikes out.

Nice outing by Fry 1IP 3K ; had high hopes when he was drafted if he can become a lethal LOOGY I'll be very pleased. Should be up some time this year. Happy to see Luis Gonzalez doing well tonight 3/5 with a triple; should be moving up to A+ once that roster sorts it self out a bit, he strikes me as a Dustin Fowler type that will eventually make his way to the back portion of a top 100 list.

11 minutes ago, beautox said:

Nice outing by Fry 1IP 3K ; had high hopes when he was drafted if he can become a lethal LOOGY I'll be very pleased. Should be up some time this year. Happy to see Luis Gonzalez doing well tonight 3/5 with a triple; should be moving up to A+ once that roster sorts it self out a bit, he strikes me as a Dustin Fowler type that will eventually make his way to the back portion of a top 100 list.

Agree on Gonzalez, he needs to be bumped up in the not too distant future.  I think Booker gets promoted once Robert is ready and Basabe in a month or two which would open up a spot for Gonzalez.  Still would be a four man rotation unless Adolfo has surgery.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agree on Gonzalez, he needs to be bumped up in the not too distant future.  I think Booker gets promoted once Robert is ready and Basabe in a month or two which would open up a spot for Gonzalez.  Still would be a four man rotation unless Adolfo has surgery.

Per the soxmachine podcast Dash announcer was saying the org wants to just let Adolfo roll with it till the off season, since in the past hes missed so much development time.

40 minutes ago, beautox said:

Per the soxmachine podcast Dash announcer was saying the org wants to just let Adolfo roll with it till the off season, since in the past hes missed so much development time.

Which means they're unlikely to opt for off-season surgery...because that would knock him out of the entire 2019 season, right?

Unless they just want to let him DH the next two years (on an everyday basis) and work on his hit tool, knowing he will always be limited defensively and that the elbow strength will be their eventually with so much time to rehab it naturally?

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kopech rebounding nicely.  Anyone know if he’s working on the changeup a lot tonight?

I don't know but it's a given he has to work on it and his command and mound composure. That's why I think he won't be in the bigs until after the all star break . If he has a run of starts maybe 3 or 4 where he goes at least 6 innings and using his change between 10-15% of the time doesn't walk many that's when he will be brought up. He really isn't as close to being called up as some may think.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Which means they're unlikely to opt for off-season surgery...because that would knock him out of the entire 2019 season, right?

Unless they just want to let him DH the next two years (on an everyday basis) and work on his hit tool, knowing he will always be limited defensively and that the elbow strength will be their eventually with so much time to rehab it naturally?

Just a guess here but if waiting till the off season causes him to miss the entire 2019 season then they would do it now.  Sorry I can't be more definitive about it but I just don't think the injury will take that long to heal even if surgery is required. I think you better do some research on his injury .

No sense saying things about him missing an entire season next year. That's like false info that many some will start using and it shouldn't be out there if is isn't true.

FWIW, I believe the recovery from Tommy John for position players is substantially shorter than for pitchers, to the extent that they could probably decide to wait till the offseason and have Micker only miss part of the following season.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just a guess here but if waiting till the off season causes him to miss the entire 2019 season then they would do it now.  Sorry I can't be more definitive about it but I just don't think the injury will take that long to heal even if surgery is required. I think you better do some research on his injury .

No sense saying things about him missing an entire season next year. That's like false info that many some will start using and it shouldn't be out there if is isn't true.

Assuming he needs surgery and has it done in late August/early September

https://www.overthemonster.com/2012/8/22/3260015/when-carl-crawford-should-return-from-tommy-john

It takes less time for position players to recover from Tommy John surgery than it does pitchers, but, as Crawford is an outfielder, his recovery time might be somewhere in the middle. Infielders don't need to attempt to throw to home plate from 250-plus feet out, so they are able to come back at something close to recovered more quickly than someone like Crawford will be able to. That being said, Boston shouldn't have to wait long for him to return to games.

Following surgery, light throwing and hitting can often be initiated at approximately four months, which translates to December for Crawford. By spring training, he should be able to hit against live pitching if all is progressing well. And while a general recovery time frame of eight to nine months puts the calendar at April-May, it may take some additional time for Crawford to comfortably throw from the field to home plate.

ESPN's injury expert, clinician Stephania Bell, has the details:

Bell goes on to say that this doesn't mean Crawford will need to miss additional time in order to be fully prepared to throw hard from left (or RF, in the case of Adolfo.)   His bat should be fine in time for the spring, and he'll be on the same schedule as the rest of the club in terms of his offense. Defensively, though, it could take a few months even past his return to be at full strength. It's likely that Crawford will be in somewhat the same situation he was in 2012, where he will be forced to hit the cutoff man for everything, at least until his elbow heals entirely.

Teammate Mike Aviles knows how that goes, as he underwent Tommy John surgery back when he was a Kansas City Royal:

"Around 7 ½ months I was playing in spring training games, and that was kind of rare," Aviles said. "I still wasn't able to play shortstop, but I was able to play second because my throws just didn't have the extra carry that I needed.

"I felt fully healed once the season started, but you could still feel as the months went on that your arm continued to get stronger. I would say right around the year mark is when I felt completely, fully, fully back to normal.

Aviles hit .304/.335/.413 in 2010, the season following the surgery, so his offense didn't suffer despite his elbow taking time to fully heal in regards to throws. Aviles also mentions an important point: recovery time is different depending on who the surgery is performed on. Aviles was ready to work out and play again earlier than many, and even if Crawford isn't, he'll still be able to get to work on his offense as early as December, months before he's needed down in Fort Myers.

Edited by caulfield12

I love that Kopech, Hansen, Dunning and Cease are all on a similar schedule. We should see MK at some point this year, The latter 3 should start at AAA next season and should be up at some point throughout the year if all goes right.

That's an awesome young quartet, and depending on what we can get out of ReyLo, Gio and Fulmer, we will have a great problem on hand.

Micker was supposed to be getting a second MRI.  No clue of results.  If he has to have surgery at the end of season, he could be ready to hit before throw, just like this year.  Remember, in  the article, we were dealing with major leaguers where you are trying to win now.  In Micker's case, we are still talking about developing a guy where immediate time in the field is less important.  Could DH him awhile, or even left field for shorter throws until he regains strength.

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

Micker was supposed to be getting a second MRI.  No clue of results.  If he has to have surgery at the end of season, he could be ready to hit before throw, just like this year.  Remember, in  the article, we were dealing with major leaguers where you are trying to win now.  In Micker's case, we are still talking about developing a guy where immediate time in the field is less important.  Could DH him awhile, or even left field for shorter throws until he regains strength.

Yeah, and he is still playing, so I am guessing nothing is worse than it was before, at worst. 

4 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I love that Kopech, Hansen, Dunning and Cease are all on a similar schedule. We should see MK at some point this year, The latter 3 should start at AAA next season and should be up at some point throughout the year if all goes right.

That's an awesome young quartet, and depending on what we can get out of ReyLo, Gio and Fulmer, we will have a great problem on hand.

Don't forget about Rodon