Chicago @ Houston, 7/7, 3:10 CT, GT

soxfan49

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Well then he's an idiot because he's costing himself an insane amount of money.  I can't believe he's going to be the all star rep

Closeups of him show a sad sad man. Sad as in almost wanting to cry IMO. I hear what you are saying. I wonder who should be the Sox all-star? I do know Palka should be in home run derby. My gosh. Our all star probably should be Moncada just because he might have a helluva at bat or two in that game. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You can put down the Jose contract as another one that didn't work out for the Sox.  Sigh.

You can put down the 2005 season as a massive failure too. Utterly awful season for us. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

You can put down the 2005 season as a massive failure too. Utterly awful season for us. 

2006 was the start of the woes.  Team looked like it was going to cruise to another playoff appearance and then completely fell apart down the stretch and lost any momentum gained from the 2005 title.

2005 was now 13 years ago.  I was in college.  I'm now middle aged.  This is not good.  It adds up.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think it's likely he's older than his listed age.  I've believed this for awhile.   He's been declining as a hitter since his rookie year and is following a pretty standard aging curve of a guy that came into MLB at 29-30 and is now 33-34 and not 31.

He really hasn’t though, his rookie year was simply an outlier since the league hadn’t adjusted to him yet.  Abreu looked awesome the first two months of this year.  I have no idea what’s going on with him right now, but I don’t think it has anything to do with a normal aging curve.  I’ve beaten this subject to death though, so I’ll just leave it as that.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He really hasn’t though, his rookie year was simply an outlier since the league hadn’t adjusted to him yet.  Abreu looked awesome the first two months of this year.  I have no idea what’s going on with him right now, but I don’t think it has anything to do with a normal aging curve.  I’ve beaten this subject to death though, so I’ll just leave it as that.

He's at .3 fWAR.  In a year they were looking to probably trade him.  Well, at least they didn't sign him to an extension.  His updated ZIPS is ugly.  ZIPS doesn't think much of his bat anymore.

1 minute ago, EvilJester99 said:

With another couples years before the Sox are good again.. some of you are not going to fare very well.. either that or I am completely missing the sarcasm 

Gotta blow off some steam in this gamethread personally.  Shitty day stuck at the office and watching bad baseball on the regular.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's at .3 fWAR.  In a year they were looking to probably trade him.  Well, at least they didn't sign him to an extension.  His updated ZIPS is ugly.  ZIPS doesn't think much of his bat anymore.

Yeah, this is certainly bad timing if it’s just a slump.  However, if he’s actually fallen off a cliff suddenly, I guess we didn’t extend him to your point.  Sucks regardless though.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, this is certainly bad timing if it’s just a slump.  However, if he’s actually fallen off a cliff suddenly, I guess we didn’t extend him to your point.  Sucks regardless though.

I think given what we've seen over the past few years that a) it's a slump but b) the slumps are getting longer and the overall arc of his production is down.

I think he'll finish somewhere around 280/340/480.  That's not that great for a guy that is gonna be negative 15-20 runs at 1B with the glove.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think given what we've seen over the past few years that a) it's a slump but b) the slumps are getting longer and the overall arc of his production is down.

I think he'll finish somewhere around 280/340/480.  That's not that great for a guy that is gonna be negative 15-20 runs at 1B with the glove.

Again, that's not how it works. Every first basemen is automatically at a negative number of runs due to the Fangraphs positional adjustment. Abreu is not 15-20 runs below the average first baseman defensively. The real number, as of now, is about 4. 

Edited by Jose Abreu

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Again, that's not how it works. Every first basemen is automatically at a negative number of runs due to the Fangraphs positional adjustment. Abreu is not 15-20 runs below the average first baseman defensively. The real number, as of now, is about 4. 

Thanks for the clarification but the he's still dead last among qualified 1B.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,d

Edited by chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

This has been the kill the trade value series so far. 

I'm serious when I say we shouldn't take the field against the elite teams. I'd bring up AAA players for a weekend, the ones we don't care about number of callups/calldowns. It certainly hurts all aspects of the Sox and their individual player getting shown up like this. I wish the Sox brass or some veterans would use the "e" word after games like this. Just call over a media member and say you're embarrassed for our city.

Edited by greg775