White Sox at Tampa 8.3 game thread

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Gotta say -- love what the Rays are doing. Such a smart move to have an opener elite RP face off against the top of the order and then switch.

Yep. They are playing over 500 ball in the rough and tumble Al East. 

Gonna laugh my ass off if they somehow make a legit playoff run in the next couple years with Snell as the only true starter in their rotation.

1 minute ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Cause he is a set up guy that starts games lol.

Yup, the future of baseball with the way things are going. 

It just makes too much sense. Find the best possible reliever against a teams starting line up, use him to get through the first 3-6 batters, then switch over to a long man/SP for 4-5+ innings, then finish it off with specialized relievers. Such a beautiful way to pitch the game with the use of the best possible advanced statistics. 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Renteria would make 8-10 pitching changes per game and the average time of game would be 3:51.

No thanks.

Plus it’s an economic scam. The PA should want starting pitchers. 

You start a game, you don’t pitch for three days.

7 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Is it ridiculous to think that Carson Fulmer could turn into a Craig Stanek type bullpen arm?

Uh you mean starting and just pitching an inning or two? Probably. Would be more valuable if he could actually just be a starting option than that.

Rays announcers saying that the Sox and the rebuild need to start winning otherwise all the young guys will know nothing but losing. I guess they didn't see that the Astros lost over 100 games 3 years in a row before they started to turn it around.

Living in Florida I watch the Rays just about every game but their announcers, Staats and Anderson are idiots.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

30 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Gotta say -- love what the Rays are doing. Such a smart move to have an opener elite RP face off against the top of the order and then switch.

22 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Yup, the future of baseball with the way things are going. 

It just makes too much sense. Find the best possible reliever against a teams starting line up, use him to get through the first 3-6 batters, then switch over to a long man/SP for 4-5+ innings, then finish it off with specialized relievers. Such a beautiful way to pitch the game with the use of the best possible advanced statistics. 

15 minutes ago, flavum said:

Plus it’s an economic scam. The PA should want starting pitchers. 

You start a game, you don’t pitch for three days.

I think the future is to have 1 pitcher face 9 batters no matter what happens, other than getting shelled. Pitchers have a huge upper hand the first time through the order. If you never give hitters an opportunity to adjust, then pitchers should be able to get significantly more outs. You have two guys designated to face the 1st 18 batters and then go from there. It is also an economic scam. I'm not sure that the PA can argue against it if there is empirical data(which there is) that it leads to more wins. SP are about to become an endangered species. Only the true aces will be allowed to start going forward, otherwise it will be all by committee. I really don't think anything can be done to stop it.