Your Offseason Plan

ChiSox59

3 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

I'm actually being optimistic when I think the Whitesox won't go after Machado.

Dude is a loser and a complete douchebag. If the Whitesox are going to lose 80,100 games which they will do regardless of whether Machado is on the roster I'd rather them do so with guys who will run to first base and who I don't want to punch in the face everytime I hear them talk.

This is baseball it ain't basketball. Why are you so excited for Machado anyways? He aint Lebron. I mean even if he wasn't a complete douchebag with terrible cornrows we aren't going to make the playoffs if we sign him. We aren't going to even finish .500? So why? What is the rush to spend 200-250 million when we could be 2-3 years away from needing a finishing piece like Machado.

Also do we really want to expose our young players to this guy? Is this the guy we want to set the example for Eloy, Moncada, Kopech, and Robert? You can say he doesn't have to be a leader if you are paying someone 200-250 milllion and giving them a 10 year deal he's the leader and are giving him more power then even the coaches. So no I don't want Machado for a variety of reasons not just baseball related. I also don't want Harper. Instead lets do this thing right and see where we are in 2 years because at that point Eloy should be up. Robert and Rutherford should be up or very close. Kopech. Cease. We'll know how sucessful this rebuild was and more importantly we will know what we need moving forward as adds to the ML roster.

I'd much rather target a young blocked player like Chavis on the Redsox.

Says everything about who you are as a person that your instinct also included the comment about the haircut.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/30/2018 at 1:58 PM, Sockin said:

Would anyone be interested in going for Fowler as a buy low guy? I bet the Cardinals would give him up for very cheap.

Fowler is an interesting one.  Coming off a terrible season, but typically he's been a nice OBP guy.  How's his defense in center these days?  Are the Cards really going to with an Ozuna/Bader/ONeill outfield?  Now if the Cards go out and get Harper, I could see them wanting to dump Fowler ASAP. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fowler is an interesting one.  Coming off a terrible season, but typically he's been a nice OBP guy.  How's his defense in center these days?  Are the Cards really going to with an Ozuna/Bader/ONeill outfield?  Now if the Cards go out and get Harper, I could see them wanting to dump Fowler ASAP. 

The last 2 years in STL his defense has rated as bad as it did in his worst years in Colorado. $49 million remaining and given the choice last year, Adam Engel was a solid upgrade. 

Basically, there's a good chance that if you take him on you're buying him out for nothing. Even if the Cardinals picked up half of that deal, you're writing a $25 million check that is wasted money. They better be sending along a Luis Robert caliber prospect if they want a team to take on the whole deal. 

3 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

I'm actually being optimistic when I think the Whitesox won't go after Machado.

Dude is a loser and a complete douchebag. If the Whitesox are going to lose 80,100 games which they will do regardless of whether Machado is on the roster I'd rather them do so with guys who will run to first base and who I don't want to punch in the face everytime I hear them talk.

This is baseball it ain't basketball. Why are you so excited for Machado anyways? He aint Lebron. I mean even if he wasn't a complete douchebag with terrible cornrows we aren't going to make the playoffs if we sign him. We aren't going to even finish .500? So why? What is the rush to spend 200-250 million when we could be 2-3 years away from needing a finishing piece like Machado.

Also do we really want to expose our young players to this guy? Is this the guy we want to set the example for Eloy, Moncada, Kopech, and Robert? You can say he doesn't have to be a leader if you are paying someone 200-250 milllion and giving them a 10 year deal he's the leader and are giving him more power then even the coaches. So no I don't want Machado for a variety of reasons not just baseball related. I also don't want Harper. Instead lets do this thing right and see where we are in 2 years because at that point Eloy should be up. Robert and Rutherford should be up or very close. Kopech. Cease. We'll know how sucessful this rebuild was and more importantly we will know what we need moving forward as adds to the ML roster.

I'd much rather target a young blocked player like Chavis on the Redsox.

Chavis, the guy who Spent half of last season suspended for PEDs? Yeah, much better role model for our young players. 

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The last 2 years in STL his defense has rated as bad as it did in his worst years in Colorado. $49 million remaining and given the choice last year, Adam Engel was a solid upgrade. 

Basically, there's a good chance that if you take him on you're buying him out for nothing. Even if the Cardinals picked up half of that deal, you're writing a $25 million check that is wasted money. They better be sending along a Luis Robert caliber prospect if they want a team to take on the whole deal. 

Right.  But in the previous 2 seasons he accumulated 5.7 WAR with an .850 OPS.  If the Cards want to eat half or more of that deal and send a nice prospect along, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world.  I don't think he's nearly as bad as he was in 2018, but he is probably not a fit at the end of the day,

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they’ll tender Avi a contract, but his BABIP fueled batting average from two seasons ago doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Honestly his health and lack of consistency will mean more than that 2017 season will.  He just hasn't been able to stay healthy, and have solid and consistent performances from season to season.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:58 PM, Sockin said:

Would anyone be interested in going for Fowler as a buy low guy? I bet the Cardinals would give him up for very cheap.

With 3 more years at $16.5 million?  Nah, I can't see the Cardinals being willing to give up enough to make it worthwhile to block up an OF spot.

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right.  But in the previous 2 seasons he accumulated 5.7 WAR with an .850 OPS.  If the Cards want to eat half or more of that deal and send a nice prospect along, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world.  I don't think he's nearly as bad as he was in 2018, but he is probably not a fit at the end of the day,

Yeah, it would work on paper, but really - if the Cardinals ate half that deal,  they'd be asking another team to eat $24.5 million. What level of prospect do you have to get back to be willing to take on $24.5 million in payroll that otherwise might go to someone who helps you? You need a top 100 player to do that, and the Cardinals in that case would probably rather just buy out Fowler than give up that level of prospect. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Says everything about who you are as a person that your instinct also included the comment about the haircut.

Maybe you can crack the code what did I really mean when I criticized his ugly conrows? When is criticizing a new haircut more then just criticizing a new haircut? When does it turn into something else? Something darker?

Comeon dude some people can pull off conrows others can;t. Machado can't.

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, it would work on paper, but really - if the Cardinals ate half that deal,  they'd be asking another team to eat $24.5 million. What level of prospect do you have to get back to be willing to take on $24.5 million in payroll that otherwise might go to someone who helps you? You need a top 100 player to do that, and the Cardinals in that case would probably rather just buy out Fowler than give up that level of prospect. 

So you think if Fowler was a FA, he'd be looking at minor league deal?  I don't. 

I think if the Cards are serious about signing Harper / Machado, they'd probably be pretty happy to shed $25M+ in payroll, even if it meant giving up a legit prospect.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

So you think if Fowler was a FA, he'd be looking at minor league deal?  I don't. 

I think if the Cards are serious about signing Harper / Machado, they'd probably be pretty happy to shed $25M+ in payroll, even if it meant giving up a legit prospect.  

After his last 2 years, I don't know if he'd get a full minor league deal, but I wouldn't write him a check for $2m.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

After his last 2 years, I don't know if he'd get a full minor league deal, but I wouldn't write him a check for $2m.

Someone would pay him him at least $5-7M on a one year deal, worst case, IMO.  But whatever - I'm not at all advocating for the Sox to go out and acquire Fowler and pay him $25M+ over the next three seasons.  Mainly just spitballing off someone else's idea.  

(Avi's)  "health and lack of consistency will mean more than that 2017 season will.  He just hasn't been able to stay healthy, and have solid and consistent performances from season to season. "

His health?  His health is outstanding beginning in 2017 when he lost weight and started a healthy diet and exercise regime.

Consistency from year to year would be an important consideration if one did not know anything else about this player.  Things changed before his All Star season in 2017 from his weight, his diet and conditioning, to his approach at the plate.

This guy is a stud.   The Sox won't let him go or trade him unless they get Harper or another star to start in RF.

1 minute ago, tray said:

(Avi's)  "health and lack of consistency will mean more than that 2017 season will.  He just hasn't been able to stay healthy, and have solid and consistent performances from season to season. "

His health?  His health is outstanding beginning in 2017 when he lost weight and started a healthy diet and exercise regime.

Consistency from year to year would be an important consideration if one did not know anything else about this player.  Things changed before his All Star season in 2017 from his weight, his diet and conditioning, to his approach at the plate.

This guy is a stud.   The Sox won't let him go or trade him unless they get Harper or another star to start in RF.

I like Avi.  I've always rooted for him.  Seems like a great guy, and love that he plays hard everyday.  

But he's a career .740 OPS corner outfielder that is below average defensively that has struggled to stay healthy, can't take a walk and is only controlled for 1 more season.  I am not going to mad if the Sox tender Avi, but I don't see much of any upside in doing so.  Best case scenario is he somehow replicates his 2017 season and the Sox trade him for a middling prospect.  Not very exciting.  

22 minutes ago, tray said:

So if his health was outstanding starting in 2017 WTF was with all the disabled list time and injuries affecting his 2018 performance?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

Maybe you can crack the code what did I really mean when I criticized his ugly conrows? When is criticizing a new haircut more then just criticizing a new haircut.

When does it turn into something else. Something darker. Comeon dude some people can pull off conrows others can;t. Machado can't.

It's OK guys, he might have said something with racial overtones, but he didn't MEAN it.

29 minutes ago, tray said:

He had A healthy-ish season in 2017, but even then he had a DL stint, and a couple of other short stints for smaller injuries.

This is just gamesmanship. Heyman is quick to spout off anything an agent or fo tells him. His roundup articles are entertaining but not very predictive.

GMs are gonna huff and haw publicly to prevent a bidding war. 

My guess: it's going to seem like Machado is going to get paid way less at first with early leaks, he'll hold out, and around GM meetings he'll sign a deal less than the crazy numbers some expected last season but much higher than the initial "omg nobody wants to sign him because he didn't run out a double" numbers.

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

What racial overtones? What are you even talking about?

NVM not interested. Move on, find a new slant.

The hair comment ranks up there as one of the slick ways of mentioning race by touching on racial stereotypes instead of just saying it flat out... Things that usually fall into that category include items such as that rap music, being lazy, pull up your pants, the neighborhood doesn't look like it used to, black quarterbacks not being smart, thugs, gang members, etc.

• Haha 2

My offseason plan is to bring in Machado and a solid SP. I think these two moves could get us to .500 if our guys take a step in development. I don't want to wait to attract talent because there is no guarantee future FA's will sign here, so take what you can get. I would also like good vibes going into the 2020 season and not worrying about if we can go from 70 wins to 92. 

• Haha 1