Your Offseason Plan

ChiSox59

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the Sox add Machado, they will most definitely splurge on a few more short-term pieces and give this team a chance to be a contender in the highly unlikely “everything goes right” scenario.  

The real challenge is the OF.  Jimenez will be up at the end of April, but the other two spots are huge question marks.  Engel & Avi would be the starters right now in CF & RF respectively and it would be very difficult to count on either of them.  With Basabe the closest prospect to the majors and still adjusting to AA, I feel like you pretty much have to add one proven OF to a short-term deal if we land Manny.  And preferably that would be a CF but the market it pretty much dry after Pollack and he’d require too long of a commitment IMO.

I like Andrew McCutchen as a bridge option assuming he isn't too expensive. He obviously is nowhere as good as he used to be but he's still significantly better than Engel and it wouldn't be a long term commitment. A 2 year deal would be great as he could hold down the fort until one of Rutherford/Basabe/Robert/Walker/Adolfo is ready.

I would love to see the following happen, especially since it appears Moncada is moving to 3B

Sign

Harper - 10/300, multiple opt outs and front loaded

Pollock - 4/68 17M AAV

Grandal - 3/40.5 13.5M AAV, possibly a 4th year with a mutual option 5M buyout.

Pomeranz - 1 year 8M club option with 2M buy out

Trade

A. Garcia + Castiilo (+4.5M) + Rutherford/Basabe/Gonzalez to the Rockies for Jon Gray & Colton Welker

25 Man Roster

DH - Palka*

C - Grandal#

1B - Abreu

2B - Sanchez#

SS - Anderson

3B - Moncada#

LF - Jimenez

CF - Pollock

RF - Harper*

SP - Rodon*

SP - Lopez

SP - Giolito

SP - Gray

SP - Pomeranz*

C - Narvaez*

UT - Rondon

UT - Garcia#

OF - Engel

CL - Burdi
SU - Fry*
SU - Hamilton

MR - Bummer*
MR - Burr
LO - Frare*
MU - Jones

7 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I like Andrew McCutchen as a bridge option assuming he isn't too expensive. He obviously is nowhere as good as he used to be but he's still significantly better than Engel and it wouldn't be a long term commitment. A 2 year deal would be great as he could hold down the fort until one of Rutherford/Basabe/Robert/Walker/Adolfo is ready.

If we were to sign Machado, I’d 100% for signing McCutchen to a two year deal.  A potential lineup like the one below could be awesome if everything clicks:

1. Moncada, CF
  2. McCutchen, RF
  3. Machado, 3B
  4. Abreu, 1B
  5. Jimenez, LF
  6. Palka, DH
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Narvaez, C
  9. Rondon, 2B

Obviously we’d have to address the pitching staff (and probably on the cheap), but at least we’d have an offense worth watching all while not blocking any prospects of real significance long-term.

50 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Realistically, who would be in the market for Machado? The Phillies, Yankees, Dodgers, Cardinals, and us? Honestly, I think Machado's antics recently might help us get him.

1) Sign Machado

2) Get good

3) Rebrand ourselves as Chicago's "villain" counterpart to the hokey, little league uniform-wearing squad from the other side of town

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we were to sign Machado, I’d 100% for signing McCutchen to a two year deal.  A potential lineup like the one below could be awesome if everything clicks:

1. Moncada, CF
  2. McCutchen, RF
  3. Machado, 3B
  4. Abreu, 1B
  5. Jimenez, LF
  6. Palka, DH
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Narvaez, C
  9. Rondon, 2B

Obviously we’d have to address the pitching staff (and probably on the cheap), but at least we’d have an offense worth watching all while not blocking any prospects of real significance long-term.

Good lord, that lineup would be amazing. And if Moncada were to move to CF (which I'm not opposed to at all), you could even sign a 2nd baseman like Daniel Murphy or Brian Dozier on a short term deal until Madrigal is ready.

The possibilities are endless. Now we just have to sit back and pray that some of these ideas come to fruition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Good lord, that lineup would be amazing. And if Moncada were to move to CF (which I'm not opposed to at all), you could even sign a 2nd baseman like Daniel Murphy or Brian Dozier on a short term deal until Madrigal is ready.

The possibilities are endless. Now we just have to sit back and pray that some of these ideas come to fruition.

I'd love to give Rondon a chance.  That's one benefit of moving Moncada now.  But realistically, you don't move a guy like Moncada to give a guy like Rondon a chance.  You'd moreso be doing it for Madrigal down the line.

I just think Rondon has a chance to be something.  His power last season was no joke.  One benefit to Rondon, is he does have an option left so he can start the year in AAA. 

Below are Bovada’s odds for where Machado lands.  I honestly think the only team with the means and more incentive to land him than us are the Phillies.  The Yankees could just say “fuck it” after the Red Sox won the series and decide they must have him, but I think they’ll proceed cautiously because he’d be a luxury for them.  I’m not sure I buy any other team being serious players.  Maybe the Cubs if they decide to move on from Russell, but I still don’t see how that could work financially in the long-run.

Where will Manny Machado play game 1 of the 2019 MLB Season?

Philadelphia Phillies                   3/2

Los Angeles Dodgers                 9/4

New York Yankees                     3/1

Miami Marlins                             8/1

Los Angeles Angels                   9/1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd love to give Rondon a chance.  That's one benefit of moving Moncada now.  But realistically, you don't move a guy like Moncada to give a guy like Rondon a chance.  You'd moreso be doing it for Madrigal down the line.

I just think Rondon has a chance to be something.  His power last season was no joke.  One benefit to Rondon, is he does have an option left so he can start the year in AAA. 

I personally think Rondon is our most interesting fringe prospect.  Would love to get him an opportunity next year, but that will be challenging we sign a free agent 3B.  I agree you don’t move Yoan to CF just for Rondon, but it is a nice little consolation price IMO.

I'd be shocked if it's not Phillies. They are actually in the competitive window, they have an owner that spends, they are east coast. They are a team that can handle big money mistakes.

Sox will plant their name as a serious contender to placate some fans but no chance they land him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I personally think Rondon is our most interesting fringe prospect.  Would love to get him an opportunity next year, but that will be challenging we sign a free agent 3B.  I agree you don’t move Yoan to CF just for Rondon, but it is a nice little consolation price IMO.

Yep, totally agree. 

I think when you look at everything, the angels, phillies and cards all fit the bill for having the money, not being up against the cap and the need. Sox fit that bill as well but maybe Machado finds the those other options and their windows more appealing. 

41 minutes ago, beautox said:

I think when you look at everything, the angels, phillies and cards all fit the bill for having the money, not being up against the cap and the need. Sox fit that bill as well but maybe Machado finds the those other options and their windows more appealing. 

The other options are more appealing at face value, so the Sox will have to bring their A game when it comes to selling these guys on Chicago.  I do think we are very capable of a building a compelling narrative, but part of that will come down to Reinsdorf’s commitment to bring in additional pieces in the future.  No one is jumping onboard a 100 loss train (short of a massive overpay) unless we convince these guys better days are coming and coming soon.  Jerry has to man up and sign up for some future spending in order for our sales pitch to really sparkle.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The other options are more appealing at face value, so the Sox will have to bring their A game when it comes to selling these guys on Chicago.  I do think we are very capable of a building a compelling narrative, but part of that will come down to Reinsdorf’s commitment to bring in additional pieces in the future.  No one is jumping onboard a 100 loss train (short of a massive overpay) unless we convince these guys better days are coming and coming soon.  Jerry has to man up and sign up for some future spending in order for our sales pitch to really sparkle.

100% agreed. In theory, Reinsdorf has motivation to spend even though he hasn't historically. He's getting up there in years so you'd think that he'd want to put a winning team on the field before he passes.

Edited by Whitesox27

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

From what James Fox and WhiteSoxDave have been writing, it seems as though the Sox have designed some sort of presentation to give to Machado to sell him on how we're gonna win with him. I hope it's not like the presentation we gave Ohtani. 

Hopefully it involves placing a check on the table and telling Machado to write whatever dollar amount he wants on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

From what James Fox and WhiteSoxDave have been writing, it seems as though the Sox have designed some sort of presentation to give to Machado to sell him on how we're gonna win with him. I hope it's not like the presentation we gave Ohtani. 

We learned our less with the Ohtani presentation.  This Machado one has a interactive VR segment and therefore is a sure thing.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Why are we discussing Harper and Machado? Really people, there is virtually zero chance either sign here. I just don't understand why we're wasting bandwidth on this. 

I love that people post things like this completely not getting the irony that they are here further the discussion with posts like this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I love that people post things like this completely not getting the irony that they are here further the discussion with posts like this.

Speak English please? 

What you posted makes no sense. 

Did you mean that what I posted would spark more discussion? 

Ok whatever. 

I might have to stay out of PHT until they both sign elsewhere. 

If either signs here I'll eat crow and be really excited at the same time. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Why are we discussing Harper and Machado? Really people, there is virtually zero chance either sign here. I just don't understand why we're wasting bandwidth on this. 

Uhhhhh.  Yeah.  The rest of what is discussed is so relevant to improving our society and lives.  Not at all a waste of bandwidth.  Hell bandwidth is just another word for wasting time.

Edit:  2K beat me to it.  Haha.

Edited by turnin' two