Your Offseason Plan

ChiSox59

4 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Uhhhhh.  Yeah.  The rest of what is discussed is so relevant to improving our society and lives.  Not at all a waste of bandwidth.  Hell bandwidth is just another word for wasting time.

Edit:  2K beat me to it.  Haha.

C'mon I get this site is pure entertainment and time wasting, but I don't understand discussing Harper/Machado. There are a 300-400 Million reasons why they aren't coming here. I just wish we could talk about realistic moves the Sox can make, not rainbows and unicorns. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Why are we discussing Harper and Machado? Really people, there is virtually zero chance either sign here. I just don't understand why we're wasting bandwidth on this. 

Because it’s the first day of free agency and there is nothing else to talk about. 

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

C'mon I get this site is pure entertainment and time wasting, but I don't understand discussing Harper/Machado. There are a 300-400 Million reasons why they aren't coming here. I just wish we could talk about realistic moves the Sox can make, not rainbows and unicorns. 

You are slowly becoming the new Greg and trust me you do NOT want become the new Greg.  Here, say it with me Jack, “the Sox will sign Machado, the Sox will sign Machado, the Sox will sign Machado”.  Doesn’t optimsm feel good for a change?

37 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is the off season.  If we are only allowed to post about the news items, this would be a terrible place to be for the next 6 months. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Why are we discussing Harper and Machado? Really people, there is virtually zero chance either sign here. I just don't understand why we're wasting bandwidth on this. 

Nobody's forcing you to read it. Those of us who have taken note of recent organizational patterns, comments, and hints obviously believe that the chance is nonzero. 

48 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ok, how about this.  Gosh!  I sure can't wait for the Sox to add Gregor Blanco, Jordy Mercer and Chris TIllman!  

Gee why would people want to talk about the best players on the market.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

But they did deliver some sort of presentation, right? I remember Hahn being reportedly shocked that we didn't make Ohtani's short list 

Whatever presentation the Sox made or didn't make didn't matter.  Seems like he was signing on the west coast, and not for 300k.  The situations are not similar.  The result very may well be, but different situations.  

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

But they did deliver some sort of presentation, right? I remember Hahn being reportedly shocked that we didn't make Ohtani's short list 

KW was shocked. He thought the White Sox mystic and his pitch could convince  him into signing for $300k.

They did the same thing with Tanaka.

If the plan is to wow him with a presentation and a middling financial offer, nothing has changed. I will believe they are serious when he signs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Where did you see this? It's interesting to me that it's literally day one of the offseason and we're seeing reports of teams not being so crazy for him. If this isn't all just posturing and smoke, maybe it really will be the Phillies and us as the top bidders 

From what I've heard on local sports talk (I live in OC/LA area), the general consensus is Dodgers won't spend the money on Machado and will look an alternative direction. Doesn't mean that holds up though and it is more "speculation" based vs. "fact". The media here has been anti Machado and more of it has just been shoddy reporting, imo, than factual reporting. Everyone loves a scapegoat and he was it.  

46 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

KW was shocked. He thought the White Sox mystic and his pitch could convince  him into signing for $300k.

They did the same thing with Tanaka.

If the plan is to wow him with a presentation and a middling financial offer, nothing has changed. I will believe they are serious when he signs.

Technically everyone had the same ability to make an offer, correct. Or were we maxed out because of the Robert signing and thus truly limited to the $300K max?  The beauty of Ohtani was all about the fact that as a franchise, you could only offer so much.  

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's OK to discuss but I'm with you. If I'm wrong, great. But I see no chance at this point in time of signing either, because of the state of our rebuild. Doesn't make much sense. We don't need Machado for one (Moncada at 2B, Madrigal at 3B, Timmy at ss) unless he plays 1B. And I can't see Harper coming. Cubs and Phils beat us for him. And Nats.

Just now, greg775 said:

It's OK to discuss but I'm with you. If I'm wrong, great. But I see no chance at this point in time of signing either, because of the state of our rebuild. Doesn't make much sense. We don't need Machado for one (Moncada at 2B, Madrigal at 3B, Timmy at ss) unless he plays 1B. And I can't see Harper coming. Cubs and Phils beat us for him. And Nats.

😂😂😂😂😂

Listen guys, I'd love to be wrong.

I don't get why having the attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it" is so horrible. 

I'm not trying to preach doom and gloom. There is still a chance this works out. 

It is 10 thousand times harder to be optimistic right now than it was at this time last year. 

I don't know how it is controversial to say that the Sox had a "Murphy's Law" season in 2018. 

I don't know how it is controversial to say that they have 3/4 of a player that they can pencil into the lineup for the foreseeable future, and that is Eloy. I used 3/4 because he is still no guarantee. 

Didn't we used to loathe Cub fans for farting rainbows and unicorns? This fanbase is sounding a lot like that. By all means, the sky isn't falling. But is a lot more up in the air than it was a year ago. 

I'm consider myself pretty neutral on this whole thing. 50/50 There are things to like, and things not to like. It is a complete toss up though now. 

Maybe my definition of being negative and the board's are way off. You guys should go read WSI some time for shits and giggles. That place is a black hole of pessimism. I can't even stand it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Listen guys, I'd love to be wrong.

I don't get why having the attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it" is so horrible. 

I'm not trying to preach doom and gloom. There is still a chance this works out. 

It is 10 thousand times harder to be optimistic right now than it was at this time last year. 

I don't know how it is controversial to say that the Sox had a "Murphy's Law" season in 2018. 

I don't know how it is controversial to say that they have 3/4 of a player that they can pencil into the lineup for the foreseeable future, and that is Eloy. I used 3/4 because he is still no guarantee. 

Didn't we used to loathe Cub fans for farting rainbows and unicorns? This fanbase is sounding a lot like that. By all means, the sky isn't falling. But is a lot more up in the air than it was a year ago. 

I'm consider myself pretty neutral on this whole thing. 50/50 There are things to like, and things not to like. It is a complete toss up though now. 

Maybe you need to do some self reflecting or at the very minimum reread your first post, because your attitude is clearly not “I’ll believe it when I see it”  no matter how you try to spin it.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe you need to do some self reflecting or at the very minimum reread your first post, because your attitude is clearly not “I’ll believe it when I see it”  no matter how you try to spin it.

I acknowledge that the Sox might be willing to spend the money, but I don't think that either player will want to come here. It doesn't mean they shouldn't try. It is hard for me to know how serious they are about this, but knowing what they offered A-Rod 18 offseasons ago makes me think there might be a chance. Again, I think it is not on the Sox but on Harper/Machado. They were in a MUCH better position in  January 2001 coming off of a division championship and the best record in the AL, along with having the best farm in baseball. They might have actually landed A-Rod if Texas didn't blow KW out of the water. 

I do have an idea of how they can pull this off: Heavily front load the contract. 

The Sox have 14M comitted to player payroll next year. In order to do this, they'd probably have to non-tender both Abreu and Avi

Then, you offer 140M to either guy the 1st 3 seasons of the deal, then average amount(like 25M) during the time in which you think the team is going to be at its peak for payroll flexibility, and then the remainder of the money the last two years, that you know it is going to be bad. In return for this large sum of cash up front, they agree to one opt out after their age 31 season(year 5) of a 10 year deal. 

It would break down like this:

2019: 60M

2020: 45 M

2021: 35M

2022-2026: 25M

Opt out at 2023-24 Offseason

2027-28: 35M

Ends up a 10 year, 335M contract. 

Worst case scenario for the Sox(or best case if you want to frame it that way) it becomes a 5 year, $195M contract, but you are paying for the player's peak seasons, so it isn't really that bad. 

Get Creative Hahn. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Saw a piece at the MLB.com com site on the biggest off season needs tonight. For the Sox they said pitching...two starters and two relief pitchers. They listed three guys as potential targets: Dallas Keuchel, Anibal Sanchez and Gio Gonzales.

Edited by Lip Man 1

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I acknowledge that the Sox might be willing to spend the money, but I don't think that either player will want to come here. It doesn't mean they shouldn't try. It is hard for me to know how serious they are about this, but knowing what they offered A-Rod 18 offseasons ago makes me think there might be a chance. Again, I think it is not on the Sox but on Harper/Machado. They were in a MUCH better position in  January 2001 coming off of a division championship and the best record in the AL, along with having the best farm in baseball. They might have actually landed A-Rod if Texas didn't blow KW out of the water. 

I do have an idea of how they can pull this off: Heavily front load the contract. 

The Sox have 14M comitted to player payroll next year. In order to do this, they'd probably have to non-tender both Abreu and Avi

Then, you offer 130M to either guy the 1st 3 seasons of the deal, then average amount(like 25M) during the time in which you think the team is going to be at its peak for payroll flexibility, and then a bulk of the money the last two years, that you know it is going to be bad. In return for this large sum of cash up front, they agree to one opt out after their age 31 season(year 5) of a 10 year deal. 

You have every right to be skeptical, just don’t come in here and say “Why are you guys wasting your time talking about this?  It’s never going to happen.”  That’s just going to rile up people who want to be optimistic and feel like the organization is serious this time about making a big move.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

I would not be happy if the Sox signed a gold glove 3B and played him at 1st base

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

No.  The Sox have plenty of money to sign either Harper or Machado, plus other 2nd tier FA.  They have virtually nothing committed long term.  At some point, when the time is right (whether that is now or a couple season down the road), the Sox will again above average in the payroll.