Your Offseason Plan

ChiSox59

1 hour ago, tray said:

(Avi's)  "health and lack of consistency will mean more than that 2017 season will.  He just hasn't been able to stay healthy, and have solid and consistent performances from season to season. "

His health?  His health is outstanding beginning in 2017 when he lost weight and started a healthy diet and exercise regime.

Consistency from year to year would be an important consideration if one did not know anything else about this player.  Things changed before his All Star season in 2017 from his weight, his diet and conditioning, to his approach at the plate.

This guy is a stud.   The Sox won't let him go or trade him unless they get Harper or another star to start in RF.

Wait what? His health has been great since 2017? The guy who missed a third of the 2018 season and just had offseason knee surgery?

20 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm thinking Dodgers.

Edit: technically the Sox are a big market club...just saying. But Machado's post from this morning or yesterday seems like a good bye post.

I don't think it's the Dodgers. I think it is the Cubs, as their team leaders wouldn't want that type of distraction, and they can get good guy Harper. 

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The hair comment ranks up there as one of the slick ways of mentioning race by touching on racial stereotypes instead of just saying it flat out... Things that usually fall into that category include items such as that rap music, being lazy, pull up your pants, the neighborhood doesn't look like it used to, black quarterbacks not being smart, thugs, gang members, etc.

His race isn't a consideration at all for anything I posted.  

But just for clarification purposes I saw him play in the WBC for the Dominican Republic and have always believed he was Latino. Are you claiming he's African American?

2 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

But just for clarification purposes I saw him play in the WBC for the Dominican Republic and have always believed he was Latino. Are you claiming he's African American?

I didn't realize that this list was exclusively viewed as an African American list. 

8 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Stop before you dig the hole deeper, brah. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I didn't realize that this list was exclusively viewed as an African American list. 

The hair comment ranks up there as one of the slick ways of mentioning race by touching on racial stereotypes instead of just saying it flat out...

Your words not mine. I was talking about Machado and I am not generalizing if you need specific examples of his douchebaggery I am more then happy to point them to you things like running with the spikes up, his interviews, stepping on 1B, throwing his bat at players. Who knows what you are talking about other then trying to race bait.

The hair comment ranks up there as one of the slick ways of mentioning race by touching on racial stereotypes instead of just saying it flat out... Things that usually fall into that category include items such as that rap music, being lazy, pull up your pants, the neighborhood doesn't look like it used to, black quarterbacks not being smart, thugs, gang members, etc.

My mistake for trying to take you seriously

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

The hair comment ranks up there as one of the slick ways of mentioning race by touching on racial stereotypes instead of just saying it flat out...

Your words not mine. I was talking about Machado and I am not generalizing if you need specific examples of his douchebaggery I am more then happy to point them to you things like running with the spikes up, his interviews, stepping on 1B, throwing his bat at players. Who knows what you are talking about other then trying to race bait.

My mistake for trying to take you seriously

You obviously missed the point.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't think it's the Dodgers. I think it is the Cubs, as their team leaders wouldn't want that type of distraction, and they can get good guy Harper. 

Yeah, why bring aboard a guy who doesn't hustle when you can trade for homophobes like Daniel Murphy and wife beaters like Aroldis Chapman?

17 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

As of right now, what do you guys think the odds are that the Sox will get Machado or Harper? I'll say 25% for Machado and like 1% for Harper, I don't see it happening with him.

75% Manny; 0% Harper

Based on several kryptic remarks/hints made in the last year by Hahn re: shurking old "standards" and ways of doing business in the past, and the team having the financial resources (they've always had them, btw) to add pieces from the open market when they were ready to, I think the team is ready and willing to pull off a deal of Albert Bellesque proportion.  I think the current owner is going to do exactly what he did at the time he signed Albert Belle - identify the price point that he knows no other team will go beyond, then go beyond it himself to try and make this happen.  Belle wanted the most money he could get, which the Sox offered, and the deal actually happened fairly quickly.  For whatever reason I feel history is going to repeat itself this time around with Machado.  The only way I think it doesn't happen is if Machado is willing to accept less money to play for another team he'd prefer to be on, but all indications are he's after the big payday which, why not.  But I think the Sox will be the ones with the largest offer.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fan O'Faust said:

75% Manny; 0% Harper

Based on several kryptic remarks/hints made in the last year by Hahn re: shurking old "standards" and ways of doing business in the past, and the team having the financial resources (they've always had them, btw) to add pieces from the open market when they were ready to, I think the team is ready and willing to pull off a deal of Albert Bellesque proportion.  I think the current owner is going to do exactly what he did at the time he signed Albert Belle - identify the price point that he knows no other team will go beyond, then go beyond it himself to try and make this happen.  Belle wanted the most money he could get, which the Sox offered, and the deal actually happened fairly quickly.  For whatever reason I feel history is going to repeat itself this time around with Machado.  The only way I think it doesn't happen is if Machado is willing to accept less money to play for another team he'd prefer to be on, but all indications are he's after the big payday which, why not.  But I think the Sox will be the ones with the largest offer.  

I'd buy all of this thinking except there's no line in there about an opt out. That's the one thing that could sabotage us. Machado might not be willing to accept less money to play for another team, but he might be willing to do so if he got an opt-out after 2 or 3 years where he could sign another 8-10 year deal, and that's something we simply cannot offer with this franchise in its current state. If everything else you say is true, and it might be...that's the one way to beat us.

2 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

75% Manny; 0% Harper

I'm pretty surprised that you feel this way, given your disdain for Reinsdorf/the front office. 

Unless you think that such a signing would be a bad thing for the organization?

27 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm pretty surprised that you feel this way, given your disdain for Reinsdorf/the front office. 

Unless you think that such a signing would be a bad thing for the organization?  And this makes zero sense whatsoever...

The disdain remains; however, I do think this time around there is a strong chance they take the rare step of not only pursuing an elite talent in the open market, but also landing him, for the reasons I mentioned.  

48 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

75% Manny; 0% Harper

I think you’re right on here, but I think that the Phillies are in the exact same boat with the exact same motivation, except closer to contention. So now it becomes more than just “spend higher than the market,” it becomes “spend higher than the other guy who is ready to spend higher than the market.”

I believe this front office is ready to throw real, big money at this rebuild. I believe they’re ready to step up to the plate with the NY/LA teams on pieces they really want.

But I don’t know if I believe they’re ready to outspend Middleton, at this juncture, when he’s essentially trying to play the same game. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

4 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

If the Philles WERE out on Machado (I don’t think they are), it would drastically increase our chances of signing him, IMO. 

Yup, would be huge.  And I did read an article that speculated that the Phillies owner might be turned off by Machado’s “antics” in the playoffs.  If so, that would be fantastic for our chances.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, would be huge.  And I did read an article that speculated that the Phillies owner might be turned off by Machado’s “antics” in the playoffs.  If so, that would be fantastic for our chances.

Here’s an example of Middleton contacting his manager due to a player not busting:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/philadelphia-phillies/freddy-galvis-base-running-gaffe-caused-owner-john-middleton-send-email%3famp

Hopefully this guy is the Ricky Renteria of owners and decides to take a pass on Manny.

One thing's not debatable, Machado signing would take all the pressure off of Moncada, Jimenez and even Kopech/Cease.

That said, there's also the fear he's a negative influence on a young team (with oodles of Latin American talent) and/or he has a repeat of his 2017 season.

That almost ensures they have to bring in an established brand manager like Girardi/Scioscia or, more likely, Vizquel.  No way Renteria's the type of personality that can bend Machado (at all) to his will, or at least get him to compromise.