Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

Its an entirely different meeting than the Sox. Yankees arent pitching on Machado on how they can be successful in the future, etc. Everyone already knows that about the Yankees. The meeting was likely nothing more than telling him in person what their offer is and hearing what he wants. 

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

I don't think that the notion of "He could know he's signing there so that's why the meeting was that short" holds a ton of merit. In that case I think they would've been there for longer discussing the contract and stuff.

Not so much that he knows he's signing there, but the Yanks situation kind of speaks for itself.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Personally I'd think most people would want to wrap up their employment situation before X-Mas or New Year.  Why would he drag it on past next week?  I'd think he makes a decision this weekend.

What a Christmas present that would be! Wife and family should be quite happy!

3 minutes ago, daggins said:

Not so much that he knows he's signing there, but the Yanks situation kind of speaks for itself.

If he knew he was signing there I don't think he'd want to get out of there so quickly. And if he was leaning towards the white sox after their meeting, the yankees would have some convincing to do

7 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Its an entirely different meeting than the Sox. Yankees arent pitching on Machado on how they can be successful in the future, etc. Everyone already knows that about the Yankees. The meeting was likely nothing more than telling him in person what their offer is and hearing what he wants. 

This exactly. He'a also much more familiar with NY, the Yankees and Yankee Stadium.

Giving Chili the benefit of the doubt for a second & saying Machado is eager to sign, I still don’t think a deal gets done this weekend.  Best case scenario he informally selects us and then the two sides start negotiating terms.  This is not going to be a straight forward contract so I think the earliest it could get done is after Christmas but before New Years.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Giving Chili the benefit of the doubt for a second & saying Machado is eager to sign, I still don’t think a deal gets done this weekend.  Best case scenario he informally selects us and then the two sides start negotiating terms.  This is not going to be a straight forward contract so I think the earliest it could get done is after Christmas but before New Years.

id be shocked if they arent 90-95% done prior to the meetings. Everyone knew the framework the day FA started, its not hard to plug in the numbers. 

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Look, I have no personal gain from calling out an alleged insider, but he clearly said Machado was staying through Wednesday and that’s not the case if that tweet is true.  Honestly, I simply want to know what’s real and what’s BS and despite being one of the more optimistic posters on this board, Chili’s rumor never felt right to me.  Again, nothing personal against him, but it just doesn’t seem to jive, at least the part about spending an extra day & night in Chicago.

I hear ya. I actually forgot that he said Machado would be in town until Wednesday. I thought he just said Machado would spend Tuesday in Chicago. 

They did say that Machado is going to have to sell himself to the Yankees, while the White Sox are trying to sell the White Sox.  I'm sure 90 minutes is long enough. I know the White Sox meeting with Harper was reportedly 5 hours, but so much about the Harper meetings have turned out to be BS, maybe that was as well. 

The other thing is Hal Steinbrenner's mother just died, so he might not have been able to make the meeting. 

I wouldn't take anything out of it being 90 minutes, good or bad.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

id be shocked if they arent 90-95% done prior to the meetings. Everyone knew the framework the day FA started, its not hard to plug in the numbers. 

Unfortunately it’s the last 10% of an agreement that’s usually painfully slow to iron out.  Look, I hope I’m wrong so I can get all my kids Machado jerseys for Christmas, but I’ll remain cautiously optimistic for now.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Unfortunately it’s the last 10% of an agreement that’s usually painfully slow to iron out.  Look, I hope I’m wrong so I can get all my kids Machado jerseys for Christmas, but I’ll remain cautiously optimistic for now.

I really doubt it. Im not sure who is the one who drafts the agreement, I lean towards it being the agent. So its entirely possible the contract is completely drafted and the other clubs have already seen it weeks ago. 

• Quin locked this topic