Update: Machado met with Sox

TheFutureIsNear

If the reports that the Sox will not be outbid are correct, it's possible he is actually leaning toward the Sox.  Maybe the 90 minute meeting was about possible contracts and the two parties were far apart.  Wishful thinking, I think.  But who knows.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Chili said he gave that info to WSD though, so now we got a bit of a chicken/egg going.  Hopefully Dave has confirmed Chili’s rumor elsewhere since then.

I know alot of people have their issues with the guy but I don't think he'd throw that out there without double checking with some of his "source" ppl in the org. He probably knows more than that too.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Best Case Scenario:  Machado's team detailed the Sox offer, Yankees aren't interested in going to that point.  Meeting was short.

Worst Case Scenario:  Yankees put their offer on the table, destroyed the Sox offer.  Meeting was short.

And if it's true about the length of the meeting, there's no middle road on that, it was great or terrible.

If he really wanted to play for the Yankees he would not have spent 2 days in Chicago the week before Christmas.  If it were a due diligence meeting it would have been a couple of hours.  

I think the meetings were this week to let some time pass after the playoffs and feel some things out during the winter meetings.  MY guess is there was contact the previous few weeks with the agents.

If neither Harper or Macado wanted to play for the White Sox they would not be wasting all their time meeting with them  just to try and raise the offer from the other teams they wanted to play for.  

The due diligence is to sit and spend a couple hours maybe three and be done with it, give us some numbers and leave town.

• Like 3

I think the shorter meeting has more to do with the funeral. With that said, this is definitely not a bad thing.  If it was a 90 minute “let’s set up your press conference agenda to sign with the Yankees next week” meeting, then the Sox never had a prayer.

I love Twitter.  One guy is saying "sources" are saying Machado has declined the Yankees offer, another scrub is saying" sources" are saying Machado is calling the Sox and Phillies to tell them he's signing with the Yankees.  Everyone has sources.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I really doubt it. Im not sure who is the one who drafts the agreement, I lean towards it being the agent. So its entirely possible the contract is completely drafted and the other clubs have already seen it weeks ago. 

You typically don’t draft an agreement and share with the other side until you’re aligned on terms.  But my experience is not in people contracts, so maybe that could be totally different.

His wife was there. I really doubt the agent would want to negotiate with Manny and his wife present. I doubt anyone has made a formal offer at these meetings. They might have come into them with some really good idea. 

Manny doesn't have to be sold on the Yankees. He does with the White Sox. 

I think people put too much in the length of the meeting. No one really knows how long he met with the White Sox anyways.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

A short meeting would signal to me that they were pretty far apart on something.   Hopefully this works out the way we all want it. It’ll be interesting to see how long his Phillies meeting is.

I think that if his Phillies meeting is just as short then I think it's good news for us, I personally think it shows that he just wanted to get both done with

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Best Case Scenario:  Machado's team detailed the Sox offer, Yankees aren't interested in going to that point.  Meeting was short.

Worst Case Scenario:  Yankees put their offer on the table, destroyed the Sox offer.  Meeting was short.

So you're either Soxnet on Twitter, or that dude just copy and pasted this post as as tweet.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

His wife was there. I really doubt the agent would want to negotiate with Manny and his wife present. I doubt anyone has made a formal offer at these meetings. They might have come into them with some really good idea. 

Manny doesn't have to be sold on the Yankees. He does with the White Sox. 

He does however need to sold on their offer, otherwise it would have been signed awhile ago. We know he would prefer the Yankees as a team over any other team.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Manny doesn't have to be sold on the Yankees. He does with the White Sox

I think people put too much in the length of the meeting. No one really knows how long he met with the White Sox anyways.

Posted my thoughts before seeing this. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You typically don’t draft an agreement and share with the other side until you’re aligned on terms.  But my experience is not in people contracts, so maybe that could be totally different.

Usually one side sends a contract and then you start negotiating the terms. At least that is my experience.

We haven't heard as much about what Manny wants like we have with Harper.  Probably because of Boras.  However, one would think that both guys would like the idea of signing with a team that will build around them.  That's something the Sox can definitely offer.

• Quin locked this topic