Time For Palka To Come Back Up

Soxsi75

There is a reason he was able to be obtained on waivers. He hit some homers, probably will always hit homers, but other than that, he has no major league skills. To be fair to him, the way he has been used since he has been back isn't exactly a way to get a guy struggling to get hot. Infrequent use, and facing a lot of LH pitching is only going to make him fall further into the abyss. 

46 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Palka may likely not be worth much for the long haul.

But it's too early yet.

I mean not exactly the same thing.. but people were calling jiminez trash after 60 at bats.

Yea but Eloy had more than an infield single after 60 at bats, soooooooo

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

I know Palka has looked terrible, but give him a chance to get it together before sending him to the trash heap. The people on here give up on player so quickly and seem to have no memory at all. 

On another thread, I said this same thing about Lopez. Yes, the guy is really struggling, but give the guy some time to pull it together. Does nobody remember last year with Lopez? It was just last year??

Well, the same logic with Palka. He hit 27 home runs last year, just last year. Three pinch hit home runs. He was the only guy who seemed to be at all clutch last year when nobody else was ever being clutch. I know you can't wait forever for him to pull it together, but give him more than a week and what, 12 or so at bats?

We are in such a hurry to dump one player and go on to the next guy on this board. 

They already did that this year.  Looks the same

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Yeah, we don't want to be taking left-handed at bats away from Collins who is a .234 career batter in the minors and is "he's 1 for fucking" 19. 

Really?  Palka serves 0 purpose on this team.  Can't hit, can't field, really can't do much.  

I'd rather give his at bats to a former first round player that has power, can take a walk, has pedigree and a track record of minor league success, and not judge him in 19 at bats

Edit: And to think you mention is 234 career minors average.  Dude has a career .378 obp in the minors and an OPS of 812.  Check your facts, bruh

Edited by GGajewski18

I think the harsh reality is that even an improved Palka doesn't fit in with long-range White Sox plans. He was kind of fun in 2018, because the team had little going for it, and he'd crank one out occasionally.  If the club gives him a few more at-bats and chance to break out of it some, that's fine with me.  But that should not happen if younger players are not getting their time in. At the very least, Palka should not be with the team in 2020. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I thought it was impressive that Palka fought back when sent down, but at this point he has shown he isn't viable and he doesn't have the talent that you wait stuff out for.

Yup, I was for bringing him back because at least he's not Alonso and there at least is non-zero upside to him, or so I thought. I was wrong. His title of Fun-Bad Tank Sargent has been revoked until further notice.  

7 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Ev'rybody's talking about
OPS, BABIP, bWAR, fWAR, wRC+, wOBA
Stat this, stat that, statnik, statnak

All we are saying

is give Palk-a chance

All we are saying

is give Palk-a chance

Shouldn't need any of that to tell me that a guy who as yet to hit the ball out of the infield in 60 PA's is really really bad. 

I had hopes Palka could be a useful bench player moving forward. Late inning pinch hitter type if you needed a home run. Now? Guy needs to just go away, totally lost right now. Give the at-bats to Collins a kid who may actually have a future.

5 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea but Eloy had more than an infield single after 60 at bats, soooooooo

Palka had 27 homeruns and a 780 ops in his first real mlb action.

I'm not even saying he is good.. I'm just saying it's still a tad early

The white sox are 25th in mlb in homeruns... we could use some more long ball from somewhere.

This is not intended to be an argument either for, or against, Palka's presence on the current roster, but merely as a clarification. His 27 home runs, in his rookie year, were hit over just 3/4 of a season. He projected to hit 35 homers, in a full 162 game season. Of course, he would likely always fall short of the full number of at bats, because he would likely not see much playing time against LH pitching. Nevertheless, his home run rate of 1 per every 15 at bats, was quite impressive for a rookie. Again, whether, or not, he should be on the roster is the question. It's an interesting debate.

Polka hit some of those against pitchers that were brought up by clubs from the minors at the end of the year or against pitchers whose teams were out of play-off contention and making vacation plans for the off-season.

He's swinging at air this year. He can't play defense, even at first base.  DFA him and don't look back,.