Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

34 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Now that they didn't allocate any real money for RF, can we at least sign Ryu?

Even at 4 years, you can get him for like 70m-75m.. 60m/3 years if no one offers a 4th year. There is zero excuse not to land him....that's alot less than Wheeler. 

I think it’s safe to say Hahn is on plans C and D at this point.  I would be shocked if they show the money to Ryu or Keuchel, especially considering their agent.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

33 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Now that they didn't allocate any real money for RF, can we at least sign Ryu?

Even at 4 years, you can get him for like 70m-75m.. 60m/3 years if no one offers a 4th year. There is zero excuse not to land him....that's alot less than Wheeler. 

So the Angels and others who must missed out on Cole need pitching.  Ryu and Bumgardner are about to cash in.  

7 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

We have our RF starter.  Its time to check the clearance aisle for starters who used to be good and need to prove themselves on incentive laden short term deals. 

This.  And Hahn will act like he learned nothing from wasting money on Ivan Nova and Ervin Santana last year.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

So this is deeply depressing from a talent standpoint, but for SP I think I would most like them to get durability this year. They completely lost out on top talent, but I think the best thing they can do is prevent needing to go deep into their AAA depth of pitching (which doesn't exist).

Keuchel is attractive there. So is Porcello. It would be two SPs that you know would be there every time. Hell, that was one of the good things about Nova, and by showing up every time his value eventually ended up paying off decently.

Anyhoo just a thought.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

So this is deeply depressing from a talent standpoint, but for SP I think I would most like them to get durability this year. They completely lost out on top talent, but I think the best thing they can do is prevent needing to go deep into their AAA depth of pitching (which doesn't exist).

Keuchel is attractive there. So is Porcello. It would be two SPs that you know would be there every time. Hell, that was one of the good things about Nova, and by showing up every time his value eventually ended up paying off decently.

Anyhoo just a thought.

God why do I think they are going to sign both Porcello and Felix Hernandez? Would be so White Sox to do so. 

Just now, Soxnfins said:

God why do I think they are going to sign both Porcello and Felix Hernandez? Would be so White Sox to do so. 

LOL

Yeah Porcello is a risk, his last year was terrible. I just think the red sox tried to change him into a different pitcher and the sox would just be okay with him being a low-k sinker baller. The high 4 seamer stuff worked in improving some of his peripherals but wasn't worth it overall.

There are others, but as much as I like Walker I don't want too many risks in offense and defense. Let's remove some stress from either bullpen or other SP.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I honestly don’t think we see Ryu leave the west coast. I think he ends up on the Giants or Angels. I’d be fine with Price as long as the Red Sox are kicking in money towards that deal.

The Red Sox "kicking in money" was my assumption. Those two acquisitions could both be made, within the likely parameters of our projected payroll, while not taking on the risk of a long term, expensive contract. I suspect that is the kind of strategy, which is being contemplated by Hahn.

14 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The Red Sox "kicking in money" was my assumption. Those two acquisitions could both be made, within the likely parameters of our projected payroll, while not taking on the risk of a long term, expensive contract. I suspect that is the kind of strategy, which is being contemplated by Hahn.

I'd take on Price's fll deal if it meant someone like Ben Nintendo back.... But I honestly don't think the Sawx are moving him.... Might take Casas and Groome off their hands though.