8-18 GT: Tigers at Sox

2 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

This board melts down every time a pitcher allows a run or a hitter Ks. It's not representative of rational thought

Welcome to soxtalk since ever.  More like anytime a hitter doesn't get a hit or anytime a pitcher gives up a hit or walk though.

4 minutes ago, almagest said:

Yup. This year to me is about enjoying a halfway decent team for the first time in like 8 years and seeing improvement. Next year is the time for expectations.

Doesn’t hurt that Yoan and Robert would be on pace for 7 fWAR seasons and Timmy is a beast.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

there are many confounders in data.  consider more variables than just spin rate.

That's why I leaned on carry vs. Spin rate. Cease and Lopez have similar carry on their fastballs.

But like I said Scherzer has similar carry to those guys and he gets whiffs, so wtf do I know. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

14 minutes ago, almagest said:

He's 24 years old and 18 starts into his pro career in a weird ass season where pitchers are getting hurt left and right. Cut the kid some damn slack.

Have you been reading this thread?  I am one of the people defending him, but I also can be objective and acknowledge he’s been bad so far this season.

"I do feel, as we look at this market — and obviously I've seen or heard the vast amount of rumors about our activity — I think it's important to note that we are by no means losing sight of what we're trying to accomplish over the long term. The long term remains the priority. We aren't looking to do stopgap fixes, so to speak,” Hahn said on a conference call last week. “In this free-agent market, as I alluded to before, there are potential opportunities to convert on premium talent that would fit along with what we're trying to develop for the long term.

THEN WHY THE FUCK AM I WATCHING EDWIN ENCARNACION BAT in 2020, RICK?