Do we see Vaughn this year?

ron883

Do we see Vaughn this year?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do we see Vaughn this year?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Half the season left... + playoffs (cause we'll be there) ;)

They will be there for sure just don’t know how realistic it is the Sox will expedite his movement to the big leagues....after all I’m sure Hahn will say he’s gonna have to focus on the mental approach to being able to DH and that not everyone can handle it. So another half a season plus the first few weeks at Schaumburg or wherever we will be at next year should help with that 😂

31 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I don’t see Vaughn getting the call wasting a year of eligibility for only half the season left. I’d support it however I don’t think Sox management will pull the trigger

They won't.  We have already passed the service time deadline. 

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I know that, I just see them being cheap, holding him down an additional few weeks next year and getting another year of control 

In a normal year this would have been his A to AAA season even if he had hit out of his ass anyways.   The kid has a total of 245 MiLB ABs, none above A ball. In no sense of the words are the Sox "holding him down", even if he debuts next May or June.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In a normal year this would have been his A to AAA season even if he had hit out of his ass anyways.   The kid has a total of 245 MiLB ABs, none above A ball. In no sense of the words are the Sox "holding him down", even if he debuts next May or June.

I realize that, some are thinking as if this may be an imminent thing. I’m just saying that if it’s going to be anytime soon it would be next May or June at the earliest even if his bat can play at this level now and makes no sense to start his clock already 

For those interested - Vaughn would accrue about 95 days of service time if he debuted Tuesday and stayed up through the end of the season.  To not exceed a full year of service time between 2020 & 2021 he would need to stay in the minors close to 80 days in 2021.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

There’s enough smoke from the best Sox sources on this board and twitter to make it seem like it might happen soon

If his bat can play I think it’s worth the call up even if he only DHs. Maybe you can swap EE in a bigger trade for pitching? 

5 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

For those interested - Vaughn would accrue about 95 days of service time if he debuted Tuesday and stayed up through the end of the season.  To not exceed a full year of service time between 2020 & 2021 he would need to stay in the minors close to 80 days in 2021.  

IMO, if he comes up, he's not ever playing in the minors again (save for rehab stints and/or he randomly sucks and needs to develop there). Given that he isn't signed to a long-term deal, it would be unlike the Sox to promote him now. But then again, there seems to be smoke, and this team is pretty good for a change

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

IMO, if he comes up, he's not ever playing in the minors again (save for rehab stints and/or he randomly sucks and needs to develop there). Given that he isn't signed to a long-term deal, it would be unlike the Sox to promote him now. But then again, there seems to be smoke, and this team is pretty good for a change

If he comes up and struggles (they call him up to test if hes ready for playoff run/playoffs), I could see him start next year in the minors.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

If he comes up and struggles (they call him up to test if hes ready for playoff run/playoffs), I could see him start next year in the minors.

Yes, depending on how much he struggles. But 1B/DH next year is pretty clearly Abreu/Vaughn, and I don't think they're going to spend on a temporary DH so that Vaughn can get ready. If he can put up a 90 wRC+ or better this year, let's say, I think he'd start up in MLB next year.

That said, I don't expect him to struggle, he's just too polished and talented. I think he's going to blow everyone away, and I think he has been MLB-ready since the day he was drafted. 

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yes, depending on how much he struggles. But 1B/DH next year is pretty clearly Abreu/Vaughn, and I don't think they're going to spend on a temporary DH so that Vaughn can get ready. If he can put up a 90 wRC+ or better this year, let's say, I think he'd start up in MLB next year.

That said, I don't expect him to struggle, he's just too polished and talented. I think he's going to blow everyone away, and I think he has been MLB-ready since the day he was drafted. 

100% agree.

1 hour ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I don’t see Vaughn getting the call wasting a year of eligibility for only half the season left. I’d support it however I don’t think Sox management will pull the trigger

If the Sox think he's ready though and can push them to make the playoffs? I'm not saying it's the right answer, but EE has looked horrid and the only other real option is Collins, who probably does not belong in a starting role long term. It might not be a bad idea to get him some playoff experience. Plus, look around the league at some of the guys who have made their MLB debuts so far this year:

CLE - Triston McKenzie

DET - Casey Mize

DET - Isaac Paredes

DET - Tarik Skubal

KC - Kris Bubic

KC - Brady Singer

LA - Keibert Ruiz

MIA - Sixto Sanchez

NYY - Miguel Yajure

PHI - Alec Bohm

TEX - Leody Taveras

SF - Joey Bart

Most of these guys have never even been above A-ball. Vaughn coming up may not seem as crazy as it sounds. Again, I don't know if it's the right call, or even if that's what I want to see them do right now. But looking around what other teams have done, maybe it's more beneficial than him taking batting practice off Clayton Richard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Anyone else besides NotSteveCishek reporting this as a possibility?

Not specifically by name. There was a hint that there could be a "surprise" call-up. We're all just speculating if that cryptic hint and our most ridiculous, yet surprisingly accurate twitter insider are referring to the same thing. If I could find the post, I'd post a link for you.

52 minutes ago, fathom said:

There’s enough smoke from the best Sox sources on this board and twitter to make it seem like it might happen soon

It would have been so perfect if he was a LHH. 

Right now, I want to see Collins DH against RHP everyday to see if he can be a viable major league power and OBP weapon if he gets consistent reps. We need to evaluate that issue before 2021 and right now he needs the reps. I agree with Parkman that EE should get a couple more series and if he cannot turn it on, its time to give someone else a shot at DH.

As for Vaughn, while he is very advanced I still do not see a compelling benefit to calling him up now. It will still require a period of adjustment when he gets to the big leagues so i dont think he's gonna be an immediate 900 ops guy, so I'd rather get that extra year by calling him up in 2021. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Right now, I want to see Collins DH against RHP everyday to see if he can be a viable major league power and OBP weapon

. Collins has had 101 major league ABs. How many more do you want to see in a year where the Sox are trying to compete for the playoffs?   Yes, he could be great one day but this is not the year to see if he is a viable major leaguer, at least not on this team.

I suppose I can see Vaughn come up as a DH if EE gets injured or continues to slump. Otherwise I think 2022 or possibly 2021 if he can prove that he can field 1B  at the major league level. With Abreu in his prime, offensively and defensively, and absolutely raking, it is hard to see any room for Vaughn. I would rather resign McCann and stick with Grandal/McCann at catcher, using both of them as occasional DH.  Renteria should be sitting EE more and relying on Grandal/McCann at DH  until EE comes out of his slump.

We really need another top of rotation pitcher and a RFer.

1 hour ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

If his bat can play I think it’s worth the call up even if he only DHs. Maybe you can swap EE in a bigger trade for pitching? 

Oh, for sure.  Teams are fighting over giving up good pitching for Encarnacion.  Throw in Mazara and you're looking at a top-of-the-rotation ace or 2.