Realistic trade candidates AKA The Lynnsanity Thread

Orlando

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Call me crazy, but there are a list of factors at play here.

#1, we don't know for sure if there will be a baseball playoffs this year.

#2, we have no idea if baseball next year will even happen, or if it does, what it will look like.

#3, Lynn is a free agent in a season and a month. 

#4, We are not in the part of the window where we should be mortgaging short term gain for long term losses.  I would rather not have Lynn, than give up a lot of significant future pieces for him.

#5, even if we come up short this year, I am willing to do that in order to hold the future together.  If I am giving up real pieces for a pitcher, I want at least 3 years of control in exchange.

I kind of agree with this but eventually there going to have to start trading some of there pieces because they have a log jam of talent in the farm system with few positions to fill. A good problem to have. 

Edited by maloney.adam

34 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Wasn't Jake Arrietta really bad and then got traded for a bag of balls and then he was really good? We should probably just trade for a bad pitcher instead because I can think of a single instance where that worked out.

Yes, but Lynn isn't historically dominant, old, pitched the most innings of his career last year just before the 2020 season with it's abbreviated Summer Camp.

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

I kind of agree with this but eventually there going to have to start trading some of there pieces because they have a log jam of talent in the farm system with few positions to fill. A good problem to have. 

Eventually?  Sure.  And that date will vary as to what happens to roster slots at the major league level, as well as things like 40 man roster considerations, etc.  I am just not there yet when it comes to the upper end guys.

13 minutes ago, flavum said:

Trade Encarnacion, Mazara, Goins, and Collins for Madrigal, Vaughn, Sanchez, and Dunning, then ride or die. 

I'd bring up Rutherford pretty soon for Mazara as he seems to be impressing in Schaumberg. 

It can't be any worse than what we have seen at least. 

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

#2, we have no idea if baseball next year will even happen, or if it does, what it will look like.

#4, We are not in the part of the window where we should be mortgaging short term gain for long term losses.  I would rather not have Lynn, than give up a lot of significant future pieces for him.

#5, even if we come up short this year, I am willing to do that in order to hold the future together.  If I am giving up real pieces for a pitcher, I want at least 3 years of control in exchange.

This is where I'm at as well. Sign Puig or make minor trades for Pillar and Walker. Why jeopardize the the length of the window to bet it all on a shortened season that could end if there is a major outbreak, its too short sighted. The kids can play but trading for Lynn or DeGrom isn't it.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have a different view.  As far as the playoffs this year and the season next year, I think the risk that neither happens is so minimal at this point that it shouldn't be factored into the decision making at all.

If the Sox don't bring in Lynn or another solid starter, the Cease is probably starting the potential winner-take-all game 3 in the first round of the playoffs.  I really like Cease's potential in the future, but I would much prefer the Sox have someone more reliable starting that game.

Between the lineup the Sox have, their current bullpen, and a top 3 of Giolito, Keuchel, and Lynn.....that's a team that could go the distance.  And I don't think the price to get Lynn mortgages the future at all.  I think Stiever/Collins/Thompson or Dalquist could get it done.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

The writers that tend to write about hypothetical trade proposals are the ones who tend to need them for readership. 

Bowdens line doesn’t represent anything.

Bowden's trade hypothesis is not in favor of the White Sox for the long term contention of this club. The young arms on this organization are what will sustain future contending seasons. Stay the course & get a Buewer type in the offseason for 2021. 

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I have a different view.  As far as the playoffs this year and the season next year, I think the risk that neither happens is so minimal at this point that it shouldn't be factored into the decision making at all.

If the Sox don't bring in Lynn or another solid starter, the Cease is probably starting the potential winner-take-all game 3 in the first round of the playoffs.  I really like Cease's potential in the future, but I would much prefer the Sox have someone more reliable starting that game.

Between the lineup the Sox have, their current bullpen, and a top 3 of Giolito, Keuchel, and Lynn.....that's a team that could go the distance.  And I don't think the price to get Lynn mortgages the future at all.  I think Stiever/Collins/Thompson or Dalquist could get it done.

I really do not think the Sox are looking to give up that sort of depth for what would be a short term fix. 

What pitching depth we have will be vital down the line as we have seen how expensive it is to both trade for SP and sign it in free agency. Injuries happen all the time, and Stiever is likely MLB ready at some point in 2021. 

If we make a move I think it will be for a backend starter

6 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Either pitcher you’re going to use your bullpen at the first sign of trouble anyway.

59 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Problem with Lynn is he's peaked, and what you're likely getting is a steady decline and with his age and build/body, it could all come unraveling sooner. Although being a fat ass as a pitcher does have it's positives 

Your right. I just keep thinking James Shields 2.0. Maybe not as extreme but definitely on the bad side of the trade.

8 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I am OK with Cease pitching in the playoffs.  In fact I welcome it.  If he can get that kind of experience this year it will go a long way towards figuring out what kind of pitcher he can be going forward.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

I think it would be smart to keep Collins up so you can use Grandal or McCann as your dh and still have a backup catcher.

You’re probably right there. Vaughn will be up next year unless there’s a major injury. 

If they can play 15 pitchers and 13 position players, then the position guys should be:

OF: Jimenez, Robert, Mazara, Engel

IF: Moncada, Anderson, Madrigal, Abreu, Sanchez, Mendick

Catchers: Grandal, McCann, Collins

There’s enough at bats there for everyone while Yolmer is mostly cheerleading. 

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jim Bowden from the Athletic has a trade he’d like to see every team make.  For the Sox, he has Dunning & Stiever for Lynn.  As much as I’d love to add a guy like Lynn, Dunning is more or less an untouchable for me.

Personally, I'd have to think long and hard about this. If you think Dunning and Stiever have a ceiling of a number 3, I do this. You usually have multiple options in FA every year to sign a #3 starter. But you (probably) need #1s and #2s to win playoff games, and it is so so hard to get those guys.

Gio, Lynn, Dallas, and sometimes whichever young pitcher is throwing best is a FAR better playoff rotation for this year and next, and Lynn is cheap enough that you can still sign a decent SP free agent this winter if you want. Also, Lynn being signed through 2021 is perfect because that gives us just enough time to find out if we can replace him internally with Cease, Kopech, or Crochet. 

EDIT: And obviously you don't do this trade if you think Lynn is a mirage, but clearly I don't

Edited by gusguyman

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Actually an interesting name to consider would be a pending free agent in Trevor Bauer.  For a 30 day rental, the price shouldn't be too bad, and Cincy is falling apart.

I am inclined to this if the price is right and we can resign him based on him liking the team and the future. Helps this season where literally anything can happen, and if willing to sign secures the next couple seasons potentially. But if he is still sticking to 1 year only contracts, the price cant be too high. What do the reds need long term? A catching prospect?

Edited by EloyJenkins

20 minutes ago, flavum said:

You’re probably right there. Vaughn will be up next year unless there’s a major injury. 

If they can play 15 pitchers and 13 position players, then the position guys should be:

OF: Jimenez, Robert, Mazara, Engel

IF: Moncada, Anderson, Madrigal, Abreu, Sanchez, Mendick

Catchers: Grandal, McCann, Collins

There’s enough at bats there for everyone while Yolmer is mostly cheerleading. 

When the sox make the post season isn't Leury supposed to be back?

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Blah to all this trade talk. Covid is just too big of a factor now and until it isn't dont make a trade unless you get a steal. It's hard to imagine GMs offering very much now no matter how many wild trades ex or wanna be GMs are proposing .

I agree but I would inquire about Plesac just  for the heck of it.  Perhaps this kid likes Chicago (and partying in Chi-town) and may not be happy about the way he was treated for violating team covid protocol, even though it was probably justified.

2 hours ago, TomPickle said:

Count me among those that would definitely trade Dane Dunning for the 3rd best pitcher in baseball since the start of 2019.

lance lynn.png

I’m not suggesting it’s an unfair ask, but I’m one of Dunning’s biggest fans and see a good five year window in front of us that Dane should be a big part of.  To me he’s part of the core and I’d like to avoid trading any core pieces for a short-term fix.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Sox have some decisions to make for 1st base, DH and catcher at some point. You have a log jam of players there with Vaughn waiting in the wings. 

I think if they make a solid run they'll pay McCann market rate. 

The weak spots going into '21 are another rotation anchor unless Cease or Lopez take the leap and right field. If they re-sign McCann and sign someone like Bauer or Stroman in the off-season they have major league ready pieces to move. Two of Dunning, Stiever, Lopez or Rodon, Collins and Burger as a lotto ticket throw in and a young but under performing outfielder in Adolfo or Rutherford. 

• Love 1